Restaurants options and fears after going to TripAdvisor reviews.

dominickolas

Earning My Ears
Hello. I am going to go to DisneyLand Paris for the first time this upcoming September. I am looking and heard good things about several restaurants,. I was particularly interested in Chez Remy, Pym's Kitchen, and Captain Jack's. I then went on Trip Advisor and they crushed every single restaurant at the park. I mean everyone had a problem with the price, the quality, the experiences that I was looking forward to. Should I be worried, or are reviews there, just the 10% of people who had a bad time? Going with a two kids 10+11 and a wife who avoids gluten if anyone has help, I'm all Mouse Ears! Thanks.

Mostly the quality of the food is good. Particularly at buffet restaurants and Chez Remy. I can't really comment on captain Jack's as I haven't been for a while. They are very expensive, that is just how it is being in a Disney park. I think that's why it feels as thought they are not good value for money.

Of the restaurants you mention, I've only eaten at Chez Remy. The food was really good, service not so...maybe we were just unlucky!

Last edited:

I am traveling from USA. I will have been in Europe for two weeks prior. I am going to Disneyland at the end of the trip.

We are not going to do the dining plan because we are not big meal eaters. Lunch is best for a big meal.

The variety of a buffet and a safety of having fall back options is great even without being big eaters.

Trip Advisors #1 restaurant is Walt's which seems too haughty for our bunch.

Anyone tried Pym's yet?

Mostly the quality of the food is good. Particularly at buffet restaurants and Chez Remy. I can't really comment on captain Jack's as I haven't been for a while. They are very expensive, that is just how it is being in a Disney park. I think that's why it feels as thought they are not good value for money.
As for being expensive, I don't think anyone can deny it. I think the difference is some people are shocked by the prices, some people study the menus and can mentally prepare. That's what I'm trying to do now.

It's 2 things, table service is incredibly overpriced and people coming from the US expect the same level as in US Disney parks. And when it comes to food, DLP lacks. And maybe a third thing, people think 'oh my god, French cuisine is amazing!' Which is true, in an authentic French restaurant maybe.

So best is just to keep your expectations low, go for food that fills you to keep you going. If you want French cuisine, go to Paris outside the touristy areas.

Another thing to keep in mind, portions are usually smaller than in the US anyway.

I would ignore reviews from any online website. Many seem to be full of people who complain about everything or try to outdo the prior posters by exaggerating how bad their experience was. Some may be the type who are never satisfied and always find something wrong. If they happen to run out of breadsticks when someone is there isn't a reason to bash the entire restaurant. If you don't like sushi, don't go to a place where that is all they serve and then complain about the food !!! People seem more likely to post complaints then say something positive. If 35 people have already said a place is good, I doubt the 36th person has any incentive to post the same thing.

If you review the menus ahead of time you will get a sense of how much you need to budget for meals.

I know we're just going to be sticking to quick service places, but I'm with my son who is a picky eater and a very light eater (have an issue with any Disney table service prices with him, even in the USA). In the Disney Village, we'll eat at Annette's Diner and maybe do a burger meal at McDonald's or Five Guys too. Kind of sad lol. And at the Disneyland park we'll probably be at the Casey's corner knock off place (I'll get my favorite junk food chili cheese hot dog) and the Market House deli for subs, salads, and maybe a Croque Monsieur. It will definitely be a park not food emphasis.

DS if he see the Rain Forest cafe will probably want to eat there, and I bet I'll cave. But I think the US ones are a total rip off, so I certainly won't be too thrilled I'm thinking at that one either.

Sounds like you'll be doing at least a little bit more of a foodie trip than we are, but I am mentioning these if you are entertaining any quick / more budget options.

I know we're just going to be sticking to quick service places, but I'm with my son who is a picky eater and a very light eater (have an issue with any Disney table service prices with him, even in the USA). In the Disney Village, we'll eat at Annette's Diner and maybe do a burger meal at McDonald's or Five Guys too. Kind of sad lol. And at the Disneyland park we'll probably be at the Casey's corner knock off place (I'll get my favorite junk food chili cheese hot dog) and the Market House deli for subs, salads, and maybe a Croque Monsieur. It will definitely be a park not food emphasis.

DS if he see the Rain Forest cafe will probably want to eat there, and I bet I'll cave. But I think the US ones are a total rip off, so I certainly won't be too thrilled I'm thinking at that one either.

Sounds like you'll be doing at least a little bit more of a foodie trip than we are, but I am mentioning these if you are entertaining any quick / more budget options.
Just a head's up. Rain Forest Cafe is next to McDonald's when you come from the park, you'll see Rain Forest first before you see McDonalds.
So when you stay at the resorts and walk to the park, you will see Rain Forest every time.

Just a head's up. Rain Forest Cafe is next to McDonald's when you come from the park, you'll see Rain Forest first before you see McDonalds.
So when you stay at the resorts and walk to the park, you will see Rain Forest every time.
Thanks for the heads up Karin! That tells me for sure that DS will talk me into eating there for a meal there lol.

We really enjoyed Chez Remy, and Pym Kitchen was a highlight of our last trip! I usually really dislike buffets but wanted to try Pym since it was new, it was so good that I'm thinking of booking again for our next trip.

DLP's food in general isn't as good as the US parks and I'm always annoyed at the hit-or-miss nature of the snack locations opening times. The service is definitely not American but I've never had bad service at the sit-down restaurants. The price isn't cheap, but if you're researching in advance then you'll know what to expect there. The food quality ranges from just okay to very good, though I think people expect better in France (particularly for that price point) which leads to the negative reviews.

If dining at Annette's the burgers used to come out a bit pink as that is how the French prefer their beef, if you don't then just ask for it to be well cooked. We've never had a problem asking in the past.

We ate at Captain Jack's a little over a year ago mainly for the experience/setting and it was worth it to us. It's nothing super impressive but we enjoyed everything we had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter