• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Restaurant that others rave over but you think...really?

Do realize that when this type of question is asked, you will see just about every restaurant at WDW mentioned. Personal tastes and individual experiences on any given day can vary greatly.

I agree with this...I was getting so disappointed as I read page after page and EVERY SINGLE one of my ADR were on the list. I will just have to take everyone's suggestions and comments into account but I think I will still give them a try and see for myself...one thing I can't stand is a dirty restaurant however. I'm also disappointed to read that the character dining isn't as good as expected...if I'm going to spend money on a meal that says you get to meet the characters I fully expect that they will come by and our children will be able to meet them, I will be very upset if it isn't like that.

You know, there's a great line in a David Sedaris story about his dislike of haute cuisine. "The food was terrible...and there was so little of it." :rotfl:
Or, along those lines, I cannot help but cite the opening monologue of Woody Allen's brilliant "Annie Hall."

To quote Alvy Singer: "There's an old joke. Uh, two elderly women are at a Catskills mountain resort, and one of 'em says: 'Boy, the food at this place is really terrible.' The other one says, 'Yeah, I know. And such small portions.'"

I'm sorry. I simply could not resist the opportunity to reference a Woody Allen film in a DISBoards thread.

:woohoo:

OH MY GOD Yak and Yeti TS. I can't believe the rave reviews this place gets. It's gotten to the point where whenever someone asks, and I tell them how much my whole group of 15 hated it, I will turn around and mention that everyone else here seems to love it, so they should probably try it...
Thus why I refer to it as the "Yak & Yucky" I don't expect 5 star chinese at Disney, but what the chef did to my shrimp was criminal. Yes, I sent it back but by this time every one else was eating and it was a mess! We just skip it now! and if other's have had better experience, I'm truly happy for you, everybody can have a bad night!

:confused3

For us it's The Rainforest Cafe'. We know people who rave abot it. We had a forgettable meal there. On top of that several of our party got sick after eating there. Don't know for sure it was the restaurant but we've never been back.

We really like California Grill.

I can honestly say I have never had a bad meal at WDW. I have eaten at alot of the restuarants for either breakfast, lunch or dinner and I guess each person has their own opinion. I have never understood how one persons opinion dictates what others do. I say read the comments, go see for yourself make an opinion on your experience but realize that every restuarant can and will have a bad night, be it because of the time of year or time of day or just the people they are serving.

I will say this if there is a problem with your meal or service talk to the manager while there that will help them and you.

I was going to stay out of this because usually my 'meh' meals are because I order poorly, but Y&Y was just blech all the way around- my husband the mighty carnivore was disappointed too. It was great atmosphere, lousey food. Like a mall foodcourt dropped inside a Pier 1 Imports.

hay no shame and not likeing somewhere that alot do like,we can not all like the same. Saying that LOL:rotfl2: me and my DS love Y&Y we make It a point to go there every trip. But i can easly see where you could associate there food with mall take out places. But me and my DS love those places so this Is right up our alley.:goodvibes.

I can honestly say I have never had a bad meal at WDW. I have eaten at alot of the restuarants for either breakfast, lunch or dinner and I guess each person has their own opinion. I have never understood how one persons opinion dictates what others do. I say read the comments, go see for yourself make an opinion on your experience but realize that every restuarant can and will have a bad night, be it because of the time of year or time of day or just the people they are serving.

I will say this if there is a problem with your meal or service talk to the manager while there that will help them and you.

I'm sure everyone realizes this. I'm sure they also realize that food tastes are subjective, and I guess that this is best illustrated by this thread. I'm sure, on the most part, that one person's opinion does not, necessarily, dictate another person's choices. It is just interesting to see how people's opinions vary.

I agree with this...I was getting so disappointed as I read page after page and EVERY SINGLE one of my ADR were on the list. I will just have to take everyone's suggestions and comments into account but I think I will still give them a try and see for myself....

I was thinking the same thing. I'm trying Boma, Yak and Yeti, Tepan Edo, Tutto, O'hanna Breakfast, and Sci-Fi. Oh well.

I will put my "eh" restaurant in. . .Coral Reef. The atmosphere is great! The food wasn't bad, but it just didn't have the "WOW" factor!

Wasn't a big fan of 50s PTC either

To each their own. I like LeCellier and Liberty Tree Tavern. That's what so great about Disney world. Each restaurant is different and caters to everyone's individual tastes!

I have to admit that I didn't have any bad meals but I'd say the most disappointing meal I had was at Hollywood Brown Derby....it wasn't worth the 2 credits. The atmosphere for me was definately lacking, the food was good not great (but the service was very good.) I had made a last minute change from Jiko because I wanted to make sure we could make it to Fantasmic early...

1900 Park Faire Dinner - we mainly did this one because of Cinderella (couldn't get into the castle so this was the next best thing - or so we thought.) The character interaction was good but the food - eh. Been there, done that...don't think we'll be back to that one.

Big River Grille - dh and I did this one on our honeymoon and it was awful.

Sci-Fi Diner - Dh likes it, I think, because of the theming but the food is nothing to write home about. If I didn't go back there, it would be just fine.

I find a lot of the food at WDW pretty mediocre but most of it is OK.

The only restaurant that left me wondering what the big deal was is the 50's Primetime Cafe. DS and I were both completely unimpressed.

Really most every meal we have had has been great! I will say, however, we weren't impressed with Flame Tree for a CS and for a TS Sci-Fi made us sick. Other than that, we've been pretty happy everywhere we've gone! After going Deluxe on our last trip, we would've thought our list would be longer but we are just food loving people! popcorn:::banana:

I agree with this...I was getting so disappointed as I read page after page and EVERY SINGLE one of my ADR were on the list. I will just have to take everyone's suggestions and comments into account but I think I will still give them a try and see for myself...one thing I can't stand is a dirty restaurant however. I'm also disappointed to read that the character dining isn't as good as expected...if I'm going to spend money on a meal that says you get to meet the characters I fully expect that they will come by and our children will be able to meet them, I will be very upset if it isn't like that.

Don't be disappointed until you experience it for yourself. You may like it :goodvibes Everyone has different tastes and different opinions on things. IE - Ohana's been mentioned a few times and it's one of our faves. Go and enjoy - it's your vacation! Make it your own!

For us it was Crystal Palace (for breakfast) from our last trip. The service wasn't good and the food was just so so.

By far I would say Ohana. :confused3 I prefer my meat not overcooked and my shrimp deveined thank you very much. :sad2:

I would have to say that our last family trip to Disney we were underwhelmed with a lot of the TS restaurants. Clearly, many restaurants are changing for the purpose of cut expenses, while prices continue to climb.

What we have found to be overhyped also align to places where strangley enough it is hard to find an ADR shortly after 180 days:

Ohana
WCC
Le Cellier

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter