Resort rates are kinda ridiculous

8 night stay in February at the YC with a water view room for three adults for the bargain price of $9300

That's just absurd.

There are some gorgeous vacation rentals available within 15min, for $200-$300/night. That said, if you're pulling down +$200K/year, sure, why the hell not. For the average folks, it's just gotten to the point where it's a poor financial decision.

After a recent stay at Universal's Cabana Bay (a Value Plus category for them) I can't see how Disney is justifying the money for their value resorts. We paid around $100 a night for Cabana Bay, the week before 4th of July - aka HIGH/PRIME season. The room was nice enough, food court was great, pool was fabulous with a slide and lazy river. We walked to Volcano Bay and got early theme park entry.

Disney wanted $225 for a weeknight at Pop Century that same week. Absolutely no way. There is no amount of amenities or "Disney bubble" that can convince me that room is worth more than double.

Deluxe resorts are now so far out of our price range it's laughable. Moderates at over $300 per night are too, unless discounts can slash those by a good amount.

End result, I won't be able to book direct with Disney and will stick to Priceline/Hotwire deals when I can find them. Offsite when I need to. Flamingo Crossing looks really appealing now!

Posters are “finding” availabilty“ for DVC …so I expected to find this for their cash rooms but Not… Disney seems to want to keep the All Stars inflated with no discounts at end of the year. Not worth it.

Posters are “finding” availabilty“ for DVC …so I expected to find this for their cash rooms but Not… Disney seems to want to keep the All Stars inflated with no discounts at end of the year. Not worth it.
That's only because DVC members are cancelling, and their rooms that were booked with points go back into the points inventory, not the cash reservation inventory.

We hear ya. Just came back from a 11 night stay at the Wilderness Lodge. (Our favorite resort). As much as we love it there, I think this was the last year for it. Even with the 25% room discount I paid for per night than I have paid at the Poly or Contemporary in years past. It's getting totally insane at this point, with less and less benefits for staying on property.

Last edited:
The point is the hotels you posted are not Good Neighbor hotels. You originally said Good Neighbor hotels get early access. They don't.

That's only because DVC members are cancelling, and their rooms that were booked with points go back into the points inventory, not the cash reservation inventory.
Are you saying Cash Reservations aren’t cancelling , onlyDVC ?
Obviously not what I was implying… sorry for the confusion.

I expected to find availability with non DVCoriginated / similar availability on the cash side…unless cash guests aren’t cancelling due to “concerns”. Only DVC ? I did not state that!

Are you saying Cash Reservations aren’t cancelling , onlyDVC ?
Obviously not what I was implying… sorry for the confusion.
No, not saying that. Just saying if you see someone saying they have "found" DVC availability it's because that room was freed up by a member cancelling a points reservation.

That's just absurd.

There are some gorgeous vacation rentals available within 15min, for $200-$300/night. That said, if you're pulling down +$200K/year, sure, why the hell not. For the average folks, it's just gotten to the point where it's a poor financial decision.
I'm dvc for a reason so when it came to actually paying current deluxe pricing I firmly decided on the four seasons instead. At least your actually getting more for that amount of money (just paid $3470 all in for 4 nights, noon check in, 4pm late check out, $100 credit, free room upgrade) I actually did a BCV / Four seasons split stay and hands down the four seasons has the better pool(s)

No, not saying that. Just saying if you see someone saying they have "found" DVC availability it's because that room was freed up by a member cancelling a points reservation.
I think everybody probably can figure that out . But thanks

That's just absurd.

Even with $200k plus, the price is still crazy high. You still want to save at least 25% of your gross income for retirement.

I'm dvc for a reason so when it came to actually paying current deluxe pricing I firmly decided on the four seasons instead. At least your actually getting more for that amount of money (just paid $3470 all in for 4 nights, noon check in, 4pm late check out, $100 credit, free room upgrade) I actually did a BCV / Four seasons split stay and hands down the four seasons has the better pool(s)

Four Seasons is an incredible brand that understands value =/= price.

Just because you can afford $700/night for a Disney hotel doesn't mean it's worth it and I think that's where guests are getting frustrated - it's an absurd amount of money to stay on a property with far fewer amenities and benefits. Heck even just the fact that some, like the Grand, are in desperate need of refurb because they look dated and dingy. We like staying YC because of the pool and the walking distance to parks, and thanks to the recent (like within the past 10 years) TLC it looks clean and feels comfortable. But it's not "worth" more than $500 a night to me. I'd love to stay at the gorgeous Riviera but $800+ a night feels insane.

Four Seasons is an incredible brand that understands value =/= price.

Just because you can afford $700/night for a Disney hotel doesn't mean it's worth it and I think that's where guests are getting frustrated - it's an absurd amount of money to stay on a property with far fewer amenities and benefits. Heck even just the fact that some, like the Grand, are in desperate need of refurb because they look dated and dingy. We like staying YC because of the pool and the walking distance to parks, and thanks to the recent (like within the past 10 years) TLC it looks clean and feels comfortable. But it's not "worth" more than $500 a night to me. I'd love to stay at the gorgeous Riviera but $800+ a night feels insane.

I wouldn't pay $500/night to stay at a Disney Resort. My top range is $300-400/night for a hotel room. I'd rather pay $200ish a night to stay off property in CA and visit DL/DCA. It blows my mind how much folks will spend to stay in these hotels that aren't that great.

I went from Disney Deluxe, to Moderate, to Pop, and now I'm off site because I can get far more for my dollar. The end for me was the disgustingly dirty floors at the hospital rooms at Pop Century.

Use the flash light on your phone and look under the beds. You'll see dead bugs, food and God knows what from other guests. If you walk around the room in your white socks they turn black from all the dirt. That never happened when the rooms were carpeted. If you talk to housekeeping they say they only have a dry swiffer to clean the floors very quickly... and the front desk will offer for you to change rooms to another Pop room that is just as filthy.

No thanks.

Disney has COMPLETELY given up on guest satisfaction. Their only interest is in how to make a buck and develop upsells for every single thing they can find. They don't give a flying fig whether that room you got conned into paying $250+ is presentable. They already got your money. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered everyday housekeeping in a well maintained room as an upsell. Don't believe me? Stay tuned. It's a whole new World and it's name is cash grab.

~NM

I went from Disney Deluxe, to Moderate, to Pop, and now I'm off site because I can get far more for my dollar. The end for me was the disgustingly dirty floors at the hospital rooms at Pop Century.

Use the flash light on your phone and look under the beds. You'll see dead bugs, food and God knows what from other guests. If you walk around the room in your white socks they turn black from all the dirt. That never happened when the rooms were carpeted. If you talk to housekeeping they say they only have a dry swiffer to clean the floors very quickly... and the front desk will offer for you to change rooms to another Pop room that is just as filthy.

No thanks.

Disney has COMPLETELY given up on guest satisfaction. Their only interest is in how to make a buck and develop upsells for every single thing they can find. They don't give a flying fig whether that room you got conned into paying $250+ is presentable. They already got your money. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered everyday housekeeping in a well maintained room as an upsell. Don't believe me? Stay tuned. It's a whole new World and it's name is cash grab.

~NM

Regarding bolded. I can see that coming for sure. We just spent 11 nights at the Wilderness Lodge. Housekeeping was only every other day and only towels and trash pickup. They let you opt out completely, as before, but no more nightly gift card for doing so. Crazy stuff.

That's just absurd.

My husband and I make over $200,000/year combined and STILL think the prices have gotten ridiculous. We paid rack rate last week to stay at Beach Club and the rate we got was like $460 a night. That was hard to swallow. We go a few times a year and really only stay deluxe now if we are renting points. We are renting points for a trip in October and paying the equivalent of $264/night for a studio at the Poly. We need to add two nights and rack rate for Poly is $774/night. I was looking through availability and saw Contemporary for over $1,000/night. I clicked on it out of curiosity, thinking it was some kind of a suite, but it was a standard club level room. I get that it’s club level, but wow!

So great to see a post like this and see I'm not alone in this thinking.

There is nothing "Deluxe" about any of the DW deluxe hotels. You're paying for a location, that's it. Disney knows this and tried to make people feel better with EEH for Deluxe only. But 2 hours a week at MK and EP only, with no participation from HS and AK is a flop. Highly doubtful the new FP program will slant towards Deluxe either.

The value hotels are motels with cartoons on the wall.

Take any of these hotels out of DW and have them compete on quality / amenities and their rates would plummet.

That being said, the rates will keep going up, because people keep paying them. The whole place is practically sold out from Oct 1 - the end of the year. If you absolutely have to stay Deluxe, renting points is the way to go.

We cancelled. For years we have said we would definitely be there the month of the 50th anniversary and were excited about it, but we hit our limit. With the skyrocketed prices when there is no Fast Pass, no real character meets, limited offerings, less perks, no Halloween party (Boo Bash is in no way equal or comparable to MNSSHP) and the covid numbers we could no longer justify the package price of the trip. When I went back and looked at what we had paid in past years this year is ridiculously higher. $3,000 more than we paid for the exact same category room on the same dates in 2019? A non-club room $2,000 HIGHER than we paid for a club level room with the same view category in 2018 for the same dates? We just aren't willing to do that with all the things that aren't even there right now. We were kind of holding out to see if fast pass came back,, but at this point it doesn't look likely and the scale has tipped between higher prices and all the cuts giving you less for your money. We were hoping to get to go one more time before magical express is gone, which we consider a big value loss, but it isn't going to happen with the resort rates. We have gone almost every year since 2008, but we aren't willing to pay the price they are now charging.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter