Resort rates are kinda ridiculous

A) They have to recoup their losses somehow.
B) I'm sure a certain percentage are paying with monopoly money....essentially. For example, when my 2020 trip got cancelled, I stuck the refund in my account and DID NOT TOUCH IT, did not factor it in as available funds for anything. My trip for 2022 is way more expensive than something I would normally book. In my brain though I'm not actually spending that much more than normal because I have that refund socked away.

I imagine once we get past the next year and change the discounts will be there.

I have a pretty big travel nest egg as well because we haven’t been going anywhere but man… I just can’t justify WDW room rates even if I have the money. I love Disney and they offer things that are unique but the prices are at “once in a lifetime vacation” levels but I’ve already been a few times.

The whole thing makes me sad. My family just got to the point where we would've been able to take multiple Disney trips, then we missed out 2020, and now... The prices are kind of disgusting. I just checked and I can get the 2 bedroom Volcano Bay view family suite at Cabana Bay for $1500 for the whole week of Christmas, whereas the cheapest AOA suite (LK) was $3800.

Love AKL too! And those agency discounts lol. But even though I can afford it, it’s the principle of the matter. I hate being ripped off. As much as I enjoy those resorts, they don’t warrant the rates charged now.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I have a pretty big travel nest egg as well because we haven’t been going anywhere but man… I just can’t justify WDW room rates even if I have the money. I love Disney and they offer things that are unique but the prices are at “once in a lifetime vacation” levels but I’ve already been a few times.

The upside to booking packages is I don't really see the component prices :confused3. But this trip is also the i don't care how much it costs trip. :rotfl2:

Last edited:
Disney is a business. It is going to keep raising the prices, like what it has been doing for as long as I can remember, until no one goes.

Yeah, the prices are through the roof. We have trips booked for mid-October and mid-December, for now, and I'm seeing rooms at GF for $1000 (standard room, week before Christmas) and $700 for WL. I remember paying about $300-$400 for a room at the EP resorts just a few years ago. Heck, in July 2019, I paid $700 per night, with a discount, for a 2-bedroom villa at BCV. I think those days have ended. I'm just keeping my eye out for discounts to be released and, in the meantime, I got a great rate for a 2-bedroom at the Swan the week before Christmas - it is about the same rate as a standard room at GF. I really wonder, though, once international travel opens and cruising starts again at normal capacity, if these prices will get more competitive? I know, for our family, domestic travel is all we can do right now, so it seems some of these destinations have a bit of a captive audience. Every domestic destination we looked at for this year (FL, AZ, MA, HI, AK and WY) had hotel prices through the roof. The demand seems quite high.
Yep! We’re stuck in the US, so... Disney World (and other domestic locations) it is. Once international travel is easier, we’re outta here.

A) They have to recoup their losses somehow.
B) I'm sure a certain percentage are paying with monopoly money....essentially. For example, when my 2020 trip got cancelled, I stuck the refund in my account and DID NOT TOUCH IT, did not factor it in as available funds for anything. My trip for 2022 is way more expensive than something I would normally book. In my brain though I'm not actually spending that much more than normal because I have that refund socked away.

I imagine once we get past the next year and change the discounts will be there.

Yup! I canceled 6 WDW trips since March 2020, so when we finally went in mid-June 2021, I justified the cost of YC based on all the money I "saved" by not going for a year and a half. That's Disney math, LOL!

Dolphin and Swan have shown consistently lower rates if you still want to stay "on site". I checked the rates for our next trip, where we are still on the wait list for a DVC room for one of our nights, and its under 300 a night THE WEEK OF CHRISTMAS!

I'm pretty psyched for our Swan stay for the week before Christmas. I had originally booked a two-bedroom parlor suite at the Dolphin, but called back to see if they had a two-bedroom with a balcony. They had one at the Swan for a bit more, but it was still less than staying in a standard room at most of the deluxes, so I booked it and am really excited. I do find it kind of odd that Swan/Dolphin/Swan Reserve pricing is so much less than YC/BC/BWI. The location just can't be beat, IMHO. I certainly won't be phoning Marriott and asking why their prices are so low!

My last few Disney trips I stayed offsite. Have Swan Reserve booked in Sept with free night certificates (fingers crossed it opens in time), and Old Key West in May from a previous point rental that had to be postponed. Luckily the rental company could rebook my dates so I had a credit. In the future the only way I will stay on property is if I can get a good deal on DVC rental. I have 2 Marriott credit cards now so points will come in handy. The benefits of staying on-site just aren't there for me.

I don't think their price increases are sustainable. It's beyond silly.

Those will stay the "rack rates" but you may, if demand decreases, see discounts. This summer they were offering 25% of on deluxe resorts. The price with the discount is still higher than what we normally pay, but at least it put it within reach. We have ressies for early Dec at rack rate for two rooms. And, I am hoping they will offer some discounts. Am waiting to see what happens. A lot may depend on the restrictions put in place in other states. Last Dec we came to WDW because we knew Florida would be open and there would be something to do. That is a draw for WDW.

Yup! I canceled 6 WDW trips since March 2020, so when we finally went in mid-June 2021, I justified the cost of YC based on all the money I "saved" by not going for a year and a half. That's Disney math, LOL!

I'm pretty psyched for our Swan stay for the week before Christmas. I had originally booked a two-bedroom parlor suite at the Dolphin, but called back to see if they had a two-bedroom with a balcony. They had one at the Swan for a bit more, but it was still less than staying in a standard room at most of the deluxes, so I booked it and am really excited. I do find it kind of odd that Swan/Dolphin/Swan Reserve pricing is so much less than YC/BC/BWI. The location just can't be beat, IMHO. I certainly won't be phoning Marriott and asking why their prices are so low!

Yes. Please do not do that.

Dolphin and Swan have shown consistently lower rates if you still want to stay "on site". I checked the rates for our next trip, where we are still on the wait list for a DVC room for one of our nights, and its under 300 a night THE WEEK OF CHRISTMAS!

Note the sub-$300 at Dolphin for Xmas week are non-cancellable/non-refundable rates. The flexible rates are over $300.

But even though I can afford it, it’s the principle of the matter. I hate being ripped off. As much as I enjoy those resorts, they don’t warrant the rates charged now.

I always used "Disney math" to justify deluxe resort rates, but not anymore as I've hit my limit with the current rates. Like you, I can afford the deluxe rates, I just refuse to pay them. For that reason, Disney isn't even on my radar right now. We've been traveling to other places since Sept, with Universal being one of those places. We had a great time and will definitely be going back.

In 2010 I was able to book Disneyland Hotel in CA for less than $200/night. This was post recession pricing, and the park was pretty much empty when we went. The same year we also went to WDW and was able to book at Deluxe Villa for under $300/night. Now, the prices are through the roof. And when I go to a theme park, I want to enjoy the theme park. The room is less important. For the room, I need a quiet hotel with a good bed. That's my minimum requirement. My problem with WDW became that I needed to stay on property to get good fastpasses. This made me throw in the towel with WDW, and I became a strictly Disneyland person.

I haven't gone back to WDW since COVID. But I can't justify the prices. I've stayed at Red Carnation Hotels for far less with far better customer service. The price/value just isn't there for me to stay at WDW for a theme park vacation. I can afford to pay these ridiculous prices, but I'd rather invest it.

I always used "Disney math" to justify deluxe resort rates, but not anymore as I've hit my limit with the current rates. Like you, I can afford the deluxe rates, I just refuse to pay them. For that reason, Disney isn't even on my radar right now. We've been traveling to other places since Sept, with Universal being one of those places. We had a great time and will definitely be going back.

You're going to love Universal.

Not going to lie, this is my first time staying at a Disney Resort ( booking for March 2022), and the first time I looked at the prices I about fell out of my computer chair.

We want a 1 Bedroom (so we can put the kids to bed and stay up later) and the price literally doubles with most resorts costing between $800 to $1500 per night.

You would think this is the Four Seasons 😂 and many of these deluxe rooms don't justify the price as far as theming - you're paying to be close to parks.

I am so glad you brought this up as it is exactly what I thought. The prices have become insane. I am amazed that people are willing to pay this. I am staying at the Dolphin for our week before Christmas trip unless a DVC rental opens up or they have a monster discount before that, which I doubt. I am blessed with really good jobs so I guess technical I could afford this but there is no way I am putting out $800+ dollars for a room. I work way too hard and plus I am not supporting this kind of pricing. We travel a lot as a family and Disney is making Europe look cheap!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter