Resort Change by Disney

I have seen AoA mentioned a few times with regards to not opening. Is this a legitimate rumor or people being concerned? We are scheduled to stay there in November. We booked it because of the 2 bathrooms, separate bedroom, and the Skyliner. The only comparable thing for us would be a One Bedroom at Riviera/Beach Club or two rooms at Pop (with the difference reimbursed).

I’m sorry I don’t have an answer for you but I was curious what room type you had at AS Movies and what room at AoA you were moved to. And if Disney contacted you first or if you called them

Thanks!

I had a standard room at Movies and was moved to a Nemo suite at AoA. We were a party of 5, including one under 3. A definite upgrade...I was expecting POP. I’m really not interested in going over Thanksgiving anymore, BUT I’m not willing to give up the upgrade 🤣 So we are planning to go and make the best of it, lots of resort time if necessary!
UT first contacted me to see if I wanted to keep/cancel the reservation. I told them I would keep it (this was in August) and about a week later the new resort just showed up on MDE. I didn’t get a direct call from Disney or any options from UT other than keep/cancel.

I have seen AoA mentioned a few times with regards to not opening. Is this a legitimate rumor or people being concerned? We are scheduled to stay there in November. We booked it because of the 2 bathrooms, separate bedroom, and the Skyliner. The only comparable thing for us would be a One Bedroom at Riviera/Beach Club or two rooms at Pop (with the difference reimbursed).
I am concerned. We are booked there right after Thanksgiving. I think it’s 50/50 at this point. I’m not stressing over it but we will just have to wait and see. If there’s any scheduled resort that won’t open it’s that one. Grand Floridian and Coronado are already open just not to the public, so CMs have already been recalled. Poly has already been pushed back. I think it will depend on the availability and if they see it worth reopening or not.

And I agree with you. AOA is a unique resort. I see Pop as a downgrade. I love Pop, don’t get me wrong, but there’s a reason AOA is more expensive, even in the Little Mermaid rooms

I am concerned. We are booked there right after Thanksgiving. I think it’s 50/50 at this point. I’m not stressing over it but we will just have to wait and see. If there’s any scheduled resort that won’t open it’s that one. Grand Floridian and Coronado are already open just not to the public, so CMs have already been recalled. Poly has already been pushed back. I think it will depend on the availability and if they see it worth reopening or not.

And I agree with you. AOA is a unique resort. I see Pop as a downgrade. I love Pop, don’t get me wrong, but there’s a reason AOA is more expensive, even in the Little Mermaid rooms
We’re also booked at AOA for Dec 1-10. I’m concerned that if they don’t open, we’ll be offered Pop as our substitute and while I enjoyed our previous stay at Pop, we were wanting a change of pace. I agree that Pop is a downgrade. Guess we will have to wait and see!

I'm sure this has been asked already, but 257 pages is a lot to go through. We have a room at All Star Sports on November 18. Will Disney wait until our trip to move us, or is this something I should contact them about? Will we be move automatically?

If you booked directly from Disney, you should get a call from them about three or four weeks before your check-in date. (That's what happened before my planned August trip.) If you booked through one of the big "wholesale" travel agencies, keep an eye on your MDE account; others have reported being moved automatically and finding out by first seeing it on MDE. If you booked through a small travel agency, contact your travel agent. If you booked through a travel agent, large or small, Disney will not deal with you directly. There's no point in contacting them in those cases. Read the 257 pages for more details!

Edit to add: If you booked directly from Disney, you don't have to wait for them to contact you. You can contact them at any time and they will assist you with the change.

Last edited:
To add in to the "I don't want OKW" conversation, I was one of those people, although I was booked at a different deluxe resort.
Sometimes it's just logistics - almost none of the buildings at OKW have elevators. Only 2 do. So if you're traveling with someone that has mobility challenges, this could be very problematic as they can't guarantee you'll get a room in an elevator building.

My family is set to arrive at Art of Animation on December 25th - January 2nd. We are a family of 8 booked in 2 connecting Little Mermaid Rooms. It will be tight with the 8 of us as it is. We purposefully didn't book at Pop because it's not our favorite. We've stayed there multiple times, and it's okay, just looking for something different. Really hoping if the opening of Art of Animation is delayed we are given other options besides Pop. It's hard with a family of 8 (2 adults and 6 children - ages 17, 17, 15, 12, 10 and 8). I've been checking daily to see if there has been any additional news on AoA delaying opening, and I will say that if you currently try to book at this resort for the time they are supposed to be open they do give you the pop up alert that says that due to the ever changing conditions the re-opening at certain resorts is flexible and might change. Large families are hard to accommodate, I know. I hope we know soon what's gonna happen. :-)

Booked at POFQ garden view next month and months ago I called and was only offered Coronado Springs in a pool view. Not much of upgrade and CS just didn't excite us. Plus, our arrival date is their opening date (10/14) and I just didn't trust it would open and didn't want to be there if they were still moving out all of the NBA stuff. They wouldn't even move us to CB without being charged an additional fee as all standard/garden views were sold out. We pretty much always stay deluxe, but were happy to try out POFQ and the price was right. I trusted my gut and just waited it out for Disney to contact me.. they called Friday night at 8:45 and I almost didn't answer, but glad I did. They offered to move us to SSR in a 1 bedroom! This was generous of them, but we weren't super excited to stay there as I know I can rent points for a future trip and pay much less than we were paying for a studio. Only 2 people, so the 1 bedroom is nice but we wouldn't use the kitchen etc. I asked if there were any other options, and she offered us an outer building garden view at the GF! SOLD!!!!! Basically.. it pays to hold out if you are flexible on where you end up. I would have been happy with literally any deluxe resort but glad I got my first pick!!

Booked at POFQ garden view next month and months ago I called and was only offered Coronado Springs in a pool view. Not much of upgrade and CS just didn't excite us. Plus, our arrival date is their opening date (10/14) and I just didn't trust it would open and didn't want to be there if they were still moving out all of the NBA stuff. They wouldn't even move us to CB without being charged an additional fee as all standard/garden views were sold out. We pretty much always stay deluxe, but were happy to try out POFQ and the price was right. I trusted my gut and just waited it out for Disney to contact me.. they called Friday night at 8:45 and I almost didn't answer, but glad I did. They offered to move us to SSR in a 1 bedroom! This was generous of them, but we weren't super excited to stay there as I know I can rent points for a future trip and pay much less than we were paying for a studio. Only 2 people, so the 1 bedroom is nice but we wouldn't use the kitchen etc. I asked if there were any other options, and she offered us an outer building garden view at the GF! SOLD!!!!! Basically.. it pays to hold out if you are flexible on where you end up. I would have been happy with literally any deluxe resort but glad I got my first pick!!
GF??? I would literally faint!!! One of my dream resorts to stay at. :love:

GF??? I would literally faint!!! One of my dream resorts to stay at. :love:

I KNOW!!! Even renting points to stay at VGF would be out of our budget so I sort of wrote it off that it would never happen. We have a goal of staying at *all* of the deluxe resorts in our lifetime so happy to be able to check a big one off our list.

Net, net.. it pays to be patient (and super nice to your CM on the phone.. we shared our own personal woes about the pandemic, etc)! My type-A personality didn't like not knowing where we'd be as I was planning our ADRs, etc. but this time it worked out.

DH and I stayed at Pop in late August and although everything worked out for us, the Skyliner anxiety on DHS day is just ridiculous! We were booked at ASMovies over thanksgiving with our 3 kids (9,7, and 2) We were moved in early August to AoA in a Nemo suite! To say I was thrilled would be an understatement. Lol BUT after our recent trip and experience with the Skyliner, I’m kinda wishing for our Movies resort back with ALL bus transportation. Has anyone had any luck getting moved from the Allstars to something else with just buses?? My thoughts are that it would have to be Coronado or higher and I don’t know that they would do that. Just trying to decide if it’s worth calling and asking or just leaving it alone? I know the kids would LOVE the Nemo room, but I feel like the bus situation is way more under MY control, than being on Disney’s whim.

DH and I stayed at Pop in late August and although everything worked out for us, the Skyliner anxiety on DHS day is just ridiculous! We were booked at ASMovies over thanksgiving with our 3 kids (9,7, and 2) We were moved in early August to AoA in a Nemo suite! To say I was thrilled would be an understatement. Lol BUT after our recent trip and experience with the Skyliner, I’m kinda wishing for our Movies resort back with ALL bus transportation. Has anyone had any luck getting moved from the Allstars to something else with just buses?? My thoughts are that it would have to be Coronado or higher and I don’t know that they would do that. Just trying to decide if it’s worth calling and asking or just leaving it alone? I know the kids would LOVE the Nemo room, but I feel like the bus situation is way more under MY control, than being on Disney’s whim.
There have def. been many repoets of lots of different options...especially when it first started, but they've gotten more strict. We had 4 reservations- 1 at CSR and 3 at ASSp for our early Sept trip and back in June we got some serious luck and got the Polynesian price protected for all 4 rooms. We also had a reservation at ASSp for Oct., which was first switched to AoA Nemo suite, then we ended up getting moved to a 2 bedroom suite at AKL because AoA won't be open in Oct. - That was not there first offer, but I didn't like their first few offers so I held out and then got the 2 bedroom suite and couldn't pass it up.

I definitely think it's worth a call.

There have def. been many repoets of lots of different options...especially when it first started, but they've gotten more strict. We had 4 reservations- 1 at CSR and 3 at ASSp for our early Sept trip and back in June we got some serious luck and got the Polynesian price protected for all 4 rooms. We also had a reservation at ASSp for Oct., which was first switched to AoA Nemo suite, then we ended up getting moved to a 2 bedroom suite at AKL because AoA won't be open in Oct. - That was not there first offer, but I didn't like their first few offers so I held out and then got the 2 bedroom suite and couldn't pass it up.

It's kind of a catch-22 though. Sure you got a nice upgrade because you held out. BUT there are only so many rooms that are vacant. There is also the possibility that someone holds out and ends up with something even "worse" in their minds than the first offer and has no choice but to take it or cancel because it is all that is available.

Just depends on how big of a gambler you are I guess.

It's kind of a catch-22 though. Sure you got a nice upgrade because you held out. BUT there are only so many rooms that are vacant. There is also the possibility that someone holds out and ends up with something even "worse" in their minds than the first offer and has no choice but to take it or cancel because it is all that is available.

Just depends on how big of a gambler you are I guess.

I might try calling later today. We are thrilled with the Nemo suite, just aren’t not Skyliner fans when depending on it for transportation. A fun “ride” though! I’ll call and see what I find out, if don’t get offered anything different, we will just make it work. Over thanksgiving availability might be slim.

How far in advance does disney decide to change dates for a reopening? AoA is planned to open Nov. 1st my trip is Nov.8th-12th. We now have friends also coming along on this trip who booked AoA. Just concerned that if AoA does not reopen on time, would we both be offered the same resort change or could we end up in different resorts?

How far in advance does disney decide to change dates for a reopening? AoA is planned to open Nov. 1st my trip is Nov.8th-12th. We now have friends also coming along on this trip who booked AoA. Just concerned that if AoA does not reopen on time, would we both be offered the same resort change or could we end up in different resorts?
There’s really no way of knowing. They could technically pull the plug as late as October 31.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t reopen. With all the recent layoffs and there are tons of availability at all the resorts.

You could end up at different resorts if you aren’t on the same reservation number but if you explain to Disney when you call you might be able to get the same resort. I wouldn’t get too worried as there isn’t anything you can do at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter