Resort Change by Disney

We also received an email from our TA and they said if we don’t change our dates, we will be automatically moved to a dvc resort and it also could be the WL cabins.
If we choose to keep the same dates, no charge if it’s a higher level resort, but also no modifications allowed. You get what you get.

So we had a July reservation that we booked months ago, before Covid. The first cancelled people in March and April were then given the option to book same dates as us with free dining. We paid $1300 for our dining plan. I thought for a minute... hey not fair but really not sure how else they can handle that. I was not happy either... I just don’t know what could be done here. We are all essentially paying different rates. We once stayed at the Poly and paid $250 a night group rate and people around us were paying 30 to 40% more. I kept my mouth shut because I’m sure they wouldn’t have been happy to hear that, but if it was the other way around I’m sure it would sting a little. I don’t believe anything can be done, but I bet almost everyone would feel a tad upset about these scenarios. This does not make you a jerk... nobody wants to feel like they paid double for the same thing.
No. Not the cabins at Wilderness Lodge. Those are the Cascade Cabins and are part of DVC. It’s not likely that you will be moved there. They will most likely be offering the cabins at Fort Wilderness, which are nowhere near the level of luxury that the Cascade Cabins provide.

I just want to make the distinction clear to anyone who might be googling the cabins and get the impression that they might be going to the Cascade Cabins.

No. Not the cabins at Wilderness Lodge. Those are the Cascade Cabins and are part of DVC. It’s not likely that you will be moved there. They will most likely be offering the cabins at Fort Wilderness, which are nowhere near the level of luxury that the Cascade Cabins provide.

I just want to make the distinction clear to anyone who might be googling the cabins and get the impression that they might be going to the Cascade Cabins.

Thanks for this. Are the FW cabins just like... camping cabins? I’ve never been to Disney as an adult and I’m not from the area so not familiar at all.

I honestly don’t know, but this is a direct quote from my TA email:
”At this time only DVC resorts and the Fort Wilderness Cabins and campground are going to be open. If you keep your current dates, you will automatically be moved to one of those options (not a campsite but possibly a cabin) at no additional charge”

So whatever that means. I’m not trying to mislead anyone. I guess I used the wrong abbreviation, that was by mistake. I meant FW cabins. I’ll correct my post.

I honestly don’t know, but this is a direct quote from my TA email:
”At this time only DVC resorts and the Fort Wilderness Cabins and campground are going to be open. If you keep your current dates, you will automatically be moved to one of those options (not a campsite but possibly a cabin) at no additional charge”

So whatever that means. I’m not trying to mislead anyone.
Okay. You mentioned WL cabins in your PP. Your TA specifically said FW cabins. FW and WL are not the same.

I know some people love them, but I wouldn't want the cabins either. Just keep in mind that with pre open changes, if people opted not to accept what was offered, they had to pay the difference for the upgrade.

Actually, anyone moved from a closed resort to an open resort, was not even allowed to pay to get a different choice, even if keeping the same dates

The no choice is so people can’t complain about other moves made, I think the word upgrade has gotten used a lot, but really, Disney isn’t doing this to upgrade people...so what is offered may not be that in some cases.

How many FW cabins are there though? Certainly not enough for everyone staying at POP? And do we think they are more likely to move a party of 5 or 6 to a cabin than a party of 2 because cabins can typically accommodate more than a standard resort room?

What's up with the Fort Wilderness Cabins? They seem okay to me. I think that kitchen would be especially nice since there will not be a dining plan. Any specific reason people do not like the cabins?

I think they look intriguing, but these two reasons always keep me away.....

Inconvenient to get anywhere
Lack of quick service options

How many FW cabins are there though? Certainly not enough for everyone staying at POP? And do we think they are more likely to move a party of 5 or 6 to a cabin than a party of 2 because cabins can typically accommodate more than a standard resort room?
363 cabins. Not everyone staying at Value Resorts will be moved there.
What's up with the Fort Wilderness Cabins? They seem okay to me. I think that kitchen would be especially nice since there will not be a dining plan. Any specific reason people do not like the cabins?
Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone enjoys the outdoorsy feel. They are somewhat isolated and require either using the internal bus system, a car or a golf cart for getting around. It’s a more relaxed type of vacation. If you’re the type to go to the park from rope drop to closing, you may not appreciate needing to take an internal bus to get to the boat dock or trading post. Quick service dining is not convenient and not everyone wants to cook when on vacation.

We also received an email from our TA and they said if we don’t change our dates, we will be automatically moved to a dvc resort and it also could be the FW cabins.
If we choose to keep the same dates, no charge if it’s a higher level resort, but also no modifications allowed. You get what you get.

So we had a July reservation that we booked months ago, before Covid. The first cancelled people in March and April were then given the option to book same dates as us with free dining. We paid $1300 for our dining plan. I thought for a minute... hey not fair but really not sure how else they can handle that. I was not happy either... I just don’t know what could be done here. We are all essentially paying different rates. We once stayed at the Poly and paid $250 a night group rate and people around us were paying 30 to 40% more. I kept my mouth shut because I’m sure they wouldn’t have been happy to hear that, but if it was the other way around I’m sure it would sting a little. I don’t believe anything can be done, but I bet almost everyone would feel a tad upset about these scenarios. This does not make you a jerk... nobody wants to feel like they paid double for the same thing.

On Dis Unplugged I heard them mention that dining was refunded - that people were then getting 35% off their resort package?
This doesn't include me because we are light eaters on vacation and is never worth it to us. Of course the 35% sure sounds good though :yay:

I called today with questions. 7/20-25 POP. They of course wouldn't let me make any changes but the CM was very nice answering my questions.
My DD has a ticket in the system but is not on our reservation. I asked if she will be able to make park ressies on Monday, if she's not on the reservation. Was told yes and then when my modification window opens, she can be added.
I'd like to get something besides POP since we like staying in different resorts. From what I've gathered from this thread, it's anything but FW cabins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter