Reservation issue - probably a one-off, but concerning

PirateBrigade

Yarrrr
I’m going to chalk up this issue as a one-off, but I’m going to write about it anyway, just to get it on record here in case anyone encounters this.

We visited the parks using 3-day park hoppers from December 3-5, 2021.

At 8:30pm on December 5, we upgraded the park hoppers to Enchant Magic Keys within the app and paid in full the remaining balance after applying the park hopper value.

At 8:42pm, I made park reservations using the Disney resort hotel bucket for December 6 by following the link on our hotel reservation page. It required doing the “request desktop site” trick on Google Chrome on my phone to avoid the server error (known issue discussed here).
I got email confirmation and the QR code, then went to sleep about 2 hours later.

We got to the turnstiles at around 8am on December 6, CM scanned our passes, and said we had no reservations on file.

Lead was called over, looked at my email, and on her phone it showed that our reservation was cancelled at 12:30am. She was very nice, but pressed the issue that someone else must have had access to my account and cancelled it.
  1. I was asleep.
  2. No one else has access, and the password is crazy long.
  3. I get log-in alerts every time I log in, and I had no alerts.
Her solution was for me to go through hotel bucket again and make reservations. The signal was so bad/congested up front that she ended up just doing it on her device (yay some pixie dust).

We were on our way after that brief stop.

Concerns:
  1. What internet demon cancelled the reservation at 12:30am, and wouldn’t I get dinged for a late cancel?
  2. What if I wasn’t staying on site and I’m SOL? Not all CMs may be as accommodating as the one I got.
  3. I am back at the hotel, checked “my theme park reservations” and the same one I made last night is still listed as active. Am I going to get dinged for a no-show, too?

Will submit to Disney for some explaining, but thought I’d start this thread to keep track. Will update.

That is very concerning. I'm glad you had the email confirmation to show it was created. I would definitely email their Guest Services (if possible, tech support). I wonder if they can see who canceled it or where it was canceled (using the location on the IP address).

This is concerning especially because of the circumstances surrounding it. What if it had been on a max capacity day? You may of been screwed. Glad it worked out and let us know if you get to the bottom of it

I would definitely want to follow up on that since a cancellation after 11:59pm is supposed to give you a no show/ding to your record.

Something that I have seen mentioned in some groups where people were mysteriously getting their reservations cancelled. In those cases it was a mistakingly added ticket/pass to a different, unrelated account (or supposedly was) and the person with the account those tickets/passes were added to decided to cancel the reservations.

I have a friend's pass attached to my account in addition to mine and my mom's. I can see all the friend's reservations. I even have a cancel button for them. Same thing when I attached another friend's family's tickets to my account to help with BGs. I had full access to their reservations. Obviously I wouldn't mess with it, but it's a glaring security issue I have that access just by having a ticket/pass added to my account.

I didn't play with it when I had the reservation ability to do so, but it would be interesting to see if one account makes a cancellation, but another cancels who gets the alert. I've only tried it so far cancelling with the same account that made the reservation. But the other account gets no confirmation of the originally made reservation either.

Thank you all for the replies, I’m still traveling so I haven’t gotten a chance to ping Disney. Should I:

a) call the Magic Key/AP hotline at (714) 781-7277?

b) try their online chat function?

or

c) use their contact form at https://disneyland.disney.go.com/help/email/?

I’ll likely just email the above post with reservation numbers/details filled in. It’s not an emergency, and I likely won’t be back to DL until F&W come April. Not sure if that’s futile and they’ll just make me call the hotline, though.

ETA: I just emailed, my flight is delayed

Last edited:

This is very concerning. The total cost of a day at Disneyland could be hundreds of dollars in terms of flights, hotels, time off work and more. Even in your case, time was wasted and could have affected your rope drop.

If a person wasn't able to get in due to this, even a full refund of a ticket wouldn't make up for the costs incurred. I was able to get a reservation on the day I bought my flex pass even though none were available when the CM at the ticket booth did something in the back room. I had to show this piece of paper whenever I entered the park but it was workable. I'm sure a similar process must exist now. The big question is if that lead would have done something like that if you didn't have access to the hotel bucket.

The big question is if that lead would have done something like that if you didn't have access to the hotel bucket.

That's what concerns me the most -- because these policies/procedures aren't publicly known, it functionally seems like CM discretion. We all know how varied this can seem (I think someone even reported here a CM denied the existence of a hotel reservation bucket, even though it's directly linked in the app).

Like, the CM that helped me was great in the end, but there was a point where I almost felt interrogated about my account/password hygiene, because for her, it seemed like there was no other explanation other than "someone else must have had access to your account and cancelled it." I actually thought we wouldn't be allowed in and I'd have to explain to my 7yo we couldn't go on IASW (had hyped it up as finally being open the entire walk there).

I think my physically blocking the lane at the entrance instilled a bit of urgency on her part to just get me going on my way.

Side note 1: I confirmed with my friends that cancelled park reservations kick back a cancellation email, but I did not receive one at 12:30am from my demon phantom cancellation troll.

Side note 2: I'll give DLR 72 hours to respond to my email and call the AP hotline either late Thursday or early Friday. Will update here when that happens.

No update, but I did send a follow-up email to guest services today. I just don't have time to call about it.

"
Hello,

This is a follow-up email from one sent last week (12/6/21). I wanted to know what caused a reservation made on 12/5/21 @ 8:42pm (reservation number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX) to be cancelled at 12:30am the following morning? The cancellation information was told to me by the CM.

My account and mobile device weren't compromised, I received no cancellation email, nor did I receive a "New sign-in to your account" email. This was discovered at the turnstiles that morning, resulted in a delay and the potential for not being admitted to the parks, but was managed well by the lead CM I spoke to.

I want to make sure this does not happen again, and if there's anything I can do to prevent this from happening. Thanks!

Pirate Brigade
"

I’m going to chalk up this issue as a one-off, but I’m going to write about it anyway, just to get it on record here in case anyone encounters this.

We visited the parks using 3-day park hoppers from December 3-5, 2021.

At 8:30pm on December 5, we upgraded the park hoppers to Enchant Magic Keys within the app and paid in full the remaining balance after applying the park hopper value.

At 8:42pm, I made park reservations using the Disney resort hotel bucket for December 6 by following the link on our hotel reservation page. It required doing the “request desktop site” trick on Google Chrome on my phone to avoid the server error (known issue discussed here).
I got email confirmation and the QR code, then went to sleep about 2 hours later.

We got to the turnstiles at around 8am on December 6, CM scanned our passes, and said we had no reservations on file.

Lead was called over, looked at my email, and on her phone it showed that our reservation was cancelled at 12:30am. She was very nice, but pressed the issue that someone else must have had access to my account and cancelled it.
  1. I was asleep.
  2. No one else has access, and the password is crazy long.
  3. I get log-in alerts every time I log in, and I had no alerts.
Her solution was for me to go through hotel bucket again and make reservations. The signal was so bad/congested up front that she ended up just doing it on her device (yay some pixie dust).

We were on our way after that brief stop.

Concerns:
  1. What internet demon cancelled the reservation at 12:30am, and wouldn’t I get dinged for a late cancel?
  2. What if I wasn’t staying on site and I’m SOL? Not all CMs may be as accommodating as the one I got.
  3. I am back at the hotel, checked “my theme park reservations” and the same one I made last night is still listed as active. Am I going to get dinged for a no-show, too?

Will submit to Disney for some explaining, but thought I’d start this thread to keep track. Will update.

Wanna know the weirdest thing about this? You CANNOT CANCEL a reservation same day, as in after 12:00am. The option to do so literally disappears. How do I know this? I tried to do it once when the forecast was calling for rain all day the next day and I was still up after midnight. We ended up just not going and taking the strike.

So, this seems to have been an internal glitch of some sort.

I almost forgot about this one, but with the recent discussion about linking park reservations to hotel stays that are subsequently cancelled, I thought I'd follow up. Sent another email message (#3 so far), I'm too busy to call. Adding here for tracking purposes.

Hello,

This is follow-up email #3 with no response/no resolution from December 2021. I wanted to know what caused a reservation made on 12/5/21 @ 8:42pm (reservation number 0903*****************) to be cancelled at 12:30am the following morning? The cancellation information was told to me by the CM at the gate.

My account and mobile device weren't compromised, I received no cancellation email, nor did I receive a "New sign-in to your account" email. Later, I found out it is technically impossible for me to cancel a reservation after 11:59pm for the same-day.

This was discovered at the turnstiles that morning, resulted in a delay and the potential for not being admitted to the parks, but was managed well by the lead CM I spoke to.

I want to make sure this does not happen again, as we are visiting later this month and again in June. I also want to know if there's anything I can do to prevent this from happening. Thanks!

I did not have an account back in November, but I had a similar experience. We upgraded my wife’s ticket the day before our last park day to a Believe Key. We wanted to use the discount that day. We were there the first weekend of the Christmas stuff so it was very busy. However, our last day was a Monday. On Sunday night, there was Magic Key availability for Monday. When we upgraded to the Believe Key, we lost her park reservation for Monday (which we knew would happen). We then proceeded to make a new reservation with her new Magic Key. It was fine until after midnight. The new reservation just disappeared. She was left with no reservation and there was now no availability to make a new reservation. We traveled pretty far and we were with a large group. We woke up early and went to a ticket booth in a panic. Thankfully, they were able to get my wife a new reservation for that day. However, we basically had to cry and beg. We knew the risk we were taking upgrading to the Key before our last day. However, since we did secure a reservation before midnight and the system deleted it on its own, we did not feel that was our fault. This seems like a glitch that needs to be fixed.

Thank you for posting this, this might actually lend credence to the idea that this was a specific issue related to Magic Key upgrade and not something affecting us going forward. That at least makes me feel better.

Did you submit any feedback/concerns at the time, other than the visit to the ticket booth? Were you treated with suspect at the booth? The lead CM insisted that someone must have gotten into my account and/or phone and cancelled it (weird), but I didn't challenge that idea because I didn't know at the time that cancellations were not possible after 12am.

Not surprised. I have to call on an unrelated issue so I’ll try to sneak this one in:

Troy (Disney Parks)
Apr 9, 2022, 2:22 PM EDT
Dear PirateBrigade,

Thank you for contacting the Disneyland® Resort in Southern California!

Unfortunately, we're unable to assist with your request using our email service. We recommend that you place a call to our Guest Information & Ticket Sales team, that way a Cast Member can assist you with your request and answer any additional questions that you may have in real-time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Our Guest Information & Ticket Sales team contact number is (714) 781-4636. A Cast Member will be happy to assist you seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific Standard Time.

Have a Magical day!

Sincerely,

Troy
Disneyland® Resort
Online Sales & Service

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter