Repositioning Cruise from Vancouver?

Carolynleanne

Canadian Disney mom
I'm looking into a September repositioning cruise aboard the Wonder in 2018. Just curious if anyone has done it? It only has one stop, in Astoria Oregon, but we're from Vancouver so it means only a one way flight to get home. As a family of five we have to get a verandah room so it would be around $3200 for four nights. Worth it?

We live in Southern California and did the San Diego to Vancouver cruise and LOVED it. It stopped in San Francisco, but we never got off there because we figure we can always drive up, it was so nice to have an almost completely empty ship to ourselves.

As for if it is worth it or not, that has to be up to you, also would you plan on spending a few days in San Diego afterwards? We did that in Vancouver and it was absolutely wonderful.

If we still lived on the west coast it would be worth it for our family. Astoria is a beautiful little town. San Diego is also a fun place to visit.

I'm looking into a September repositioning cruise aboard the Wonder in 2018. Just curious if anyone has done it? It only has one stop, in Astoria Oregon, but we're from Vancouver so it means only a one way flight to get home. As a family of five we have to get a verandah room so it would be around $3200 for four nights. Worth it?

Just a thought... it seems like your kids are young, but if you and your husband are willing to split up to sleep, try 2 inside cabins or oceanview cabins, or a combo of them. It may be much cheaper. We are a family of 5 and got an oceanview and an inside cabin and saved quite a bit. My kids are older though, so it was not a problem to split up. We just got back from Vancouver and I totally fell in love with your city! :lovestruc

We have also done the repositioning from San Diego to Vancouver. We had a GREAT time! @minniebeth has a great idea! We recently did this on a Royal cruise & not only was it less $ (than a verandah), but we all got to sleep in a real bed, had 2 bathrooms, and 2 closets. It was a win all the way around. Well, except for the actual cruise, but that's another post, LOL!

I never even considered that! Do you think it would be that much cheaper to do two connecting inside rooms? My kids are super young but we don't mind spitting up to connecting!

We also live in Vancouver and the Vancouver to San Diego cruise was our first ever Disney cruise back in Sept 2015! We are a family of 4 and we just did an inside room since it was our first cruise. I'm not sure that a verandah would really be worth it since you're not near land for most of the cruise. That year the cruise went to Victoria (I think Astoria is a first for Disney in 2018) and we didn't get off the ship since we've been there several times.

The only thing I caution about is doing customs in San Diego. It is the only port where non US citizens go through customs ON the ship. And it's EARLY. They stagger the groups so that it's not too crowded (didn't work in 2015, it was a huge mess), starting at 6am. It was NOT a fun way to end our cruise. After we got off we rented a car and drove up to Anaheim to do Disneyland for a couple of days before flying back to Vancouver from LAX.

We also live in Vancouver and the Vancouver to San Diego cruise was our first ever Disney cruise back in Sept 2015! We are a family of 4 and we just did an inside room since it was our first cruise. I'm not sure that a verandah would really be worth it since you're not near land for most of the cruise. That year the cruise went to Victoria (I think Astoria is a first for Disney in 2018) and we didn't get off the ship since we've been there several times.

The only thing I caution about is doing customs in San Diego. It is the only port where non US citizens go through customs ON the ship. And it's EARLY. They stagger the groups so that it's not too crowded (didn't work in 2015, it was a huge mess), starting at 6am. It was NOT a fun way to end our cruise. After we got off we rented a car and drove up to Anaheim to do Disneyland for a couple of days before flying back to Vancouver from LAX.
How were the seas and the weather? I'm thinking about booking it. We're on the last Alaska cruise this year. It won't be an empty ship like pp said this cruise is about sold out.

Ewwww that sucks!!! I mean, my kids are up at 6am anyways so it may not hurt for us as much, but I am glad to hear everyone enjoyed his specific cruise!

How were the seas and the weather? I'm thinking about booking it. We're on the last Alaska cruise this year. It won't be an empty ship like pp said this cruise is about sold out.

I'm wondering the same thing. I have heard it can get a bit rocky along the coast.

I'm wondering the same thing. I have heard it can get a bit rocky along the coast.
On our Hawaii cruise it was a bit bumby the first day leaving Vancouver and then it was as smooth as glass all the way to Hawaii. I've also heard it can get a bit rough along the pacific Northwest. It normally wouldn't effect my decision. I've been in 20 ft swells a few times. It's a short cruise and a 2nd half of B2b...not sure it's worth it if I'm going to spend one day popping Dramamine.

We did alaska on the last sailing a few years back out of Vancouver. First day was pretty rocky but after that it was fine.

We sailed the very last week of September but honestly we had very good weather. The seas were rough the day after we left Victoria as it was open water, no land but that lasted less than a day and in all honesty, was not that bad at all. The cruise we were on, they had just come off the two one-way Hawaii cruises and our serving staff told us they had VERY rough seas for a couple of days after leaving the Hawaiian islands.

We sailed the very last week of September but honestly we had very good weather. The seas were rough the day after we left Victoria as it was open water, no land but that lasted less than a day and in all honesty, was not that bad at all. The cruise we were on, they had just come off the two one-way Hawaii cruises and our serving staff told us they had VERY rough seas for a couple of days after leaving the Hawaiian islands.
I think that part of sea from Vancouver to the Seattle area is generally a little rocky. I've done some research on Alaska cruises out of Seattle and that seems to be the consensus. I've cruised all over the Caribbean and Europe, and I think the Hawaii cruise will always be my favorite cruise. Perfect weather, and a ship that was only at 75% capacity. My kids loved it too. It was the only cruise I've been on where the kids pool was less crowded then the adult pool. I guess I picked the right direction if the return to Vancouver was rough.

We are from lower mainland and doing this cruise in September, it stops in Victoria but we won't get off as we can take ferry over anytime, renting a car and doing few days in Disney before flying home from LAX

I've done the Vancouver to San Diego cruise twice and I really enjoyed it. I too only had to pay for one way airline ticket and it was definitely worth it for me but I prefer the longer cruises of course.

Thanks for the input everyone! I think we're going to do it :) We don't want to spend the $8000+ on the 7 night Alaska so this is a great alternative.

Hi just a quick note to you.. just got back from Vancouver / Alaska and we love your city! Beautiful downtown and sea wall area all the way to Stanley park. I know its expensive to live there but you do get what you pay for :)

Hi just a quick note to you.. just got back from Vancouver / Alaska and we love your city! Beautiful downtown and sea wall area all the way to Stanley park. I know its expensive to live there but you do get what you pay for :)

Oh yay, i'm glad you had such a wonderful time!! We don't get downtown as nearly as often as we like (we live about 45 minutes east of the downtown core) but we try to get down to Stanley Park to do the seawall and beaches when we can. How did you like Alaska? We are on the August 28th sailing this year :)

If you book connecting rooms, Mickey doesn't do bed check, so you and your DH can sleep in one room with the kids in the other. Another perk to connecting rooms -- two bathrooms and double the storage space.

If you want, the room steward can prop open the connecting door so you'll have one big room. or not. You might want your privacy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter