• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Renting DVC Points

Yes. You will save money vs. booking the same room through Disney. Basically you’ll get to stay at a deluxe resort for a moderate price. That savings does come at a “cost” though. You usually have to book pretty far in advance to get popular room types and resorts. Most reservations are also non-refundable and little to no changes. Depending on how you book you also may have to pay all the money upfront. It’s just inflexible compared to booking through Disney. How ever you book just read the fine print and make sure you understand the terms.

Yes, I’ve rented twice successfully and it saved me money. That said, my renting days are over. I had a Disney trip planned for last summer on rented points to stay at the Poly. I am super lucky that I had a renter that was able to re-rent her points when my DH and I did not feel comfortable traveling to Disney. She game me a full refund less $100. Unfortunately, I think many that rented last year had a huge headache on their hands. I always knew that renting points was risky, but I think last year magnified that risk. If you do rent, there really is no flexibility. You are giving up the option of being able to cancel or to rebook at your convenience. Is the risk worth the cost savings? Only you can decide that.

We've rented points several times, always a excellent experience. And yes, it's saved us a lot of $$$ over the years.
We are content to live with the consequences of losing our $$ should something happen that required us to cancel. With that being said we usually only rent studios and only for 3 maybe 4 nights (we favor a long weekend type of stay at WDW these days) so we aren't exactly laying out a huge amount of $$ compared to a 8 night 1 or 2 bedroom villa cost.

It used to be a much better deal, but the demand has driven the prices up over the last several years. Depending on the type of room you are looking to rent, and the potential discounts you might qualify for (Disney Visa, AP, Florida resident are usually the best,) the price could be about the same. If we are planning to go during the cheaper time periods for DVC points, we have always saved at least 25% off a discounted comparable room at the same resort. During the more expensive time periods for DVC points, we usually have more luck booking a room direct with Disney during a time they are offering discounts. Right now, if you are flexible with your travel, you can get some amazing DVC rental deals last minute because so many members have points that are going to expire this year.

Edited to add: with DVC rentals, you don't pay additional taxes on your room costs or parking, so that always adds to the savings since parking alone is $25 at deluxe resorts.

yes,many times. But as a previous poster said its very risky as a foreigner. I had a bad experience with renting on the boards here last year. I also had hopefully good one with a broker site that gave me a voucher valid 3 years.

If you're going to rent, you have to assume that you will prepay the whole amount, and you will get nothing back if you cancel. Doesn't matter why you cancel. Border closed? Case of COVID? Hotel open but parks all closed? Too bad.

If that doesn't bother you, then you can consider renting BUT make sure you understand the sleeping situation. If a studio "sleeps 5," for example, that probably means 1 queen size bed, 1 sleeper sofa, and 1 Murphy bed which is smaller than twin size. The only DVC resort whose studios have 2 real beds is Old Key West.

Also keep in mind that "saving money" usually means that it is less expensive than the undiscounted rack rate for rooms at the same hotel. So if you would never pay rack rate at that hotel, you're not really saving money.

yes,many times. But as a previous poster said its very risky as a foreigner. I had a bad experience with renting on the boards here last year. I also had hopefully good one with a broker site that gave me a voucher valid 3 years.
I'm so sorry you had a bad experience! Last year was full of challenges for everyone. Did the owner at least try to help you re-rent the points?

One of the things that I recommend is for people to rent from ACTIVE people on the boards. I also want to point out that not all DVC members write contracts that do not allow for changes or cancelations. You may be able to find more flexible members if you shop around a bit.

Most owners are more than willing to help accommodate renters that need to change a reservation within the parameters of the contract they are using. Have a conversation with the owner regarding their policies and flexibility before you rent. Make a list of questions and ask away. Assuming all owners are inflexible is just not correct.

Most owners do expect payment in full as they are providing you accommodations based on their personal real estate ownership. DVC ownership comes with annual deadlines so flexibility depends on an individual contract. The owner should make clear when the points expire regardless of when the reservation is prior to the expiration. Additionally, prices for Member Fees continue to rise annually not to mention the cost to buy into DVC. Most owners only net a few dollars per point after MF's and taxes. When you see a very low price per point, it is typically a very limited, last minute reservation. 11 months out to secure a desired resort will fetch the highest price.

Renting is just another option to those wanting to stay at Disney. As with other ways of securing accommodations, you should understand what you get for what you pay. Owners want happy renters. I'd suggest going to the rental thread and reading about rentals and look over the listings to get an idea of what is available and evaluate if it is a good match for your travel style and budget. Good luck!

I've done it through a service. I'm not really sure if I saved a whole lot of money and probably won't do it again. It seems to tend to save more money if you are trying to get the larger rooms, I only needed a studio. I ended up having to do a split stay because nothing was available for the entire length of my stay, which was no big deal. My problem was having to pay 100% up front and no cancellation. You also tend to have to book way out in advance and I rarely know I'm even going until around 30 days out. I just booked a trip last week for the week of April 11 so that wouldn't have worked (most likely) if trying to rent points. The time I did it, I carefully compared the rates I would get at Disney from all other sources before I did it.

Yes. You will save money vs. booking the same room through Disney. Basically you’ll get to stay at a deluxe resort for a moderate price. That savings does come at a “cost” though. You usually have to book pretty far in advance to get popular room types and resorts. Most reservations are also non-refundable and little to no changes. Depending on how you book you also may have to pay all the money upfront. It’s just inflexible compared to booking through Disney. How ever you book just read the fine print and make sure you understand the terms.
Thank you!!!

Yes, I’ve rented twice successfully and it saved me money. That said, my renting days are over. I had a Disney trip planned for last summer on rented points to stay at the Poly. I am super lucky that I had a renter that was able to re-rent her points when my DH and I did not feel comfortable traveling to Disney. She game me a full refund less $100. Unfortunately, I think many that rented last year had a huge headache on their hands. I always knew that renting points was risky, but I think last year magnified that risk. If you do rent, there really is no flexibility. You are giving up the option of being able to cancel or to rebook at your convenience. Is the risk worth the cost savings? Only you can decide that.
Thank you!!

Most owners are more than willing to help accommodate renters that need to change a reservation within the parameters of the contract they are using. Have a conversation with the owner regarding their policies and flexibility before you rent. Make a list of questions and ask away. Assuming all owners are inflexible is just not correct.

Most owners do expect payment in full as they are providing you accommodations based on their personal real estate ownership. DVC ownership comes with annual deadlines so flexibility depends on an individual contract. The owner should make clear when the points expire regardless of when the reservation is prior to the expiration. Additionally, prices for Member Fees continue to rise annually not to mention the cost to buy into DVC. Most owners only net a few dollars per point after MF's and taxes. When you see a very low price per point, it is typically a very limited, last minute reservation. 11 months out to secure a desired resort will fetch the highest price.

Renting is just another option to those wanting to stay at Disney. As with other ways of securing accommodations, you should understand what you get for what you pay. Owners want happy renters. I'd suggest going to the rental thread and reading about rentals and look over the listings to get an idea of what is available and evaluate if it is a good match for your travel style and budget. Good luck!
Thank you!!!

I agree with @robinb and @MICKIMINI. The brokers will have rather rigid contracts that will not allow you to make changes or cancel under most circumstances. But renting privately, it's not unusual to find an owner with more flexible terms. And quite often, their $/point price is lower than what the agencies will charge a renter.

However, there are going to be times when booking thru Disney will be cheaper than renting. We're paying cash for an OKW 2BR in late April. The price thru Disney is cheaper than the $12/point rental of distressed points from another owner.

We've rented five times, but always through active DIS members. We had to cancel our January trip at the last minute; we had clothes laid out on the bed to pack when DD called with a fever of 101.6, and sure enough, she had covid. I couldn't in good conscience go to Disney and take possible covid with me to my friends and loved ones, so we canceled. VERY last minute, like on the day we were to travel to the airport, and I knew going in that my points purchase was non-refundable. I just told the owner we had to cancel due to covid, thanks for doing business with me, have a good day. Know what? She refunded my money! I never asked, I knew the points were non-refundable (and it wasn't a whole lot... $500). I felt better when I saw that she was able to re-rent them, but I will always be grateful to a stranger who felt badly for my family and didn't hold me to our rental agreement.

I rented once before and it was great. Rented from the Boards. It saves money when comparing the resort rate, but not as much when you are using a deal. How much depends on points needed and price per point. I'm actively looking to rent now and finding the prices between $15 and $19 per point.

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience! Last year was full of challenges for everyone. Did the owner at least try to help you re-rent the points?

One of the things that I recommend is for people to rent from ACTIVE people on the boards. I also want to point out that not all DVC members write contracts that do not allow for changes or cancelations. You may be able to find more flexible members if you shop around a bit.
It could have been an easy fix by just re- listing the points, which wasn’t done.

It could have been an easy fix by just re- listing the points, which wasn’t done.
Without getting into the minutiae of DVC points, I’ll just say that “re-listing” the points is not always easy, or even possible. True, you may have just dealt with a very inflexible owner. Or you may have rented points that had very little life left by the time that you canceled. It’s one of the risks that you take when renting. And why it’s important to understand what the owner is willing (or able) to do for you BEFORE you agree to a rental.

Another option is to price out the rental + cancel for any reason insurance. I don’t rent DVC and don’t know how to buy that insurance but I remember tales during the shutdown of people who paid up for that insurance only being out the cost of the insurance vs those who didn’t and lost thousands.

We own DVC, however, we qqhadn't planned to go this year and didn't have a lot of points. So I rented twice for last minute trips (3 and 4 weeks out). I went through other DIS members and had excellent experiences both times. In non-covid times I'd be totally comfortable renting further out, but with covid I waited until I was 95% sure we wouldn't have to cancel. Cost savings is relative, yes I could have spent less and stayed at Pop, but it's much more comfortable to have a separate bedroom when we travel with the kids, so we can watch tv past 7pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter