• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Renting DVC for the first time

ckoshka

Earning My Ears
I have been reading as much as I can on renting a DVC as a non DVC member. I have seen talk about Davids vacation rentals, DVC rental store and DVC rental. We are almost 11 months out and hoping to get (removed info) but could do backup resorts if it won't be possible. I worry about choosing a backup resort in case waiting a bit longer would have resulted in my #1 pick. Who do you recommend to have the best chances and are easy to work with? I am not confident enough to look for renting directly from an owner (yet). We also are interested in adding the dining plan when that is possible too. We are planning a split stay with hopefully this xxxxxand then an off site townhome so having the dining plan for 3 nights worth and then the remainder of the vaca being pay as we go would work nicely for us. I'd love any tips or recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on how important a cancellation policy. DVC Rental Store is the only one with some sort of credit offered depending on when you cancel. However, I've had issues - mainly with confirmed reservations that the owner cancelled without notifying.

I've had great luck with David's. These are the only two I'd recommend if I were to use an agency *which I no longer do.

I think you're fine for a short studio stay. It's the stays with a lot of points that I never could get through an agency

If you’re almost 11 months out, that means a May or June trip. Neither of those months are high demand for DVC (except perhaps right around Memorial Day), so deluxe studio availability should be reasonably good.

I would read the detailed information and contracts for all three agencies and then contact the one that seems to be the best fit for you. You might even want to contact all three to ask about availability.

Submit your request as early as possible, keeping in mind that not only do the rooms need to be available, the rental agency needs to have VGF owners who want to rent out their points. Owners of other resorts won’t be able to book VGF until 7 months out.

DVC Rental Store is the only one with some sort of credit offered depending on when you cancel. However, I've had issues - mainly with confirmed reservations that the owner cancelled without notifying.
Oh wow, so the owners can cancel the reservation just like that? You got your money back, right? That scares me a bit, but good to know. thx.
Submit your request as early as possible, keeping in mind that not only do the rooms need to be available, the rental agency needs to have VGF owners who want to rent out their points. Owners of other resorts won’t be able to book VGF until 7 months out.
Thank you. This is a great tip, I'll do that now.

Oh wow, so the owners can cancel the reservation just like that? You got your money back, right? That scares me a bit, but good to know. thx.

Thank you. This is a great tip, I'll do that now.
Sorry, to clarify, the agency was advertising confirmed reservations that actually no longer existed. I know on one they weren't aware, but still annoying when you think you've sealed the deal. I had not paid anything but the initial fee on it. The other they refunded me quickly.

One of the reasons to use a broker is that you'll get your money back if the owner cancels. Its rare, but it does happen. If the owner doesn't pay their dues, Disney will cancel the reservation as well. You get your money back, but you don't have a place to stay - and little chance of getting one at the same rate as DVC books quickly. Its the biggest reason DVC rentals are such a deal - otherwise owners would be charging a lot closer to rack rate.

I've used DVC rental store before owning DVC and had no issues and they were able to get me into Beach Club which is really popular.
I think you'll be fine if you submit your request now.

Yes, they can. But please don't let a few bad apples spoil the batch. Most owners (like myself) want to preserve the integrity of the rental community since it might be our only way to move excess points without it going to waste. I've rented out my points here to very pleasant people who have since contacted me directly to see if I have points to rent - 2 of them even became DVC members and asked me for advice beforehand.

Since it's your first time, I would go with a broker. The cancellation policy is a peace of mind, but remember that "getting your money back" does not always mean cash. Some give a credit, which is good for a certain amount of time, but your money is still locked in. It is definitely better than losing your money.

I've only rented twice before (before I became an owner), and I rented both times via the Rent/Transfer thread and had no problems. I was only renting one night each time so was less nervous about getting scammed. But if you're not comfortable doing that, DVC Rental Store and David's are both fine (will definitely cost you a premium compared to renting on here though).

Resort info and room type were removed as not to be seen as a request wanted.

But, you have gotten great advice so far!

Resort info and room type were removed as not to be seen as a request wanted.

But, you have gotten great advice so far!
Oh Im sorry. I didn't realize that. But yes, so much good advice. I really appreciate everyone on here!

Yes, they can. But please don't let a few bad apples spoil the batch. Most owners (like myself) want to preserve the integrity of the rental community since it might be our only way to move excess points without it going to waste. I've rented out my points here to very pleasant people who have since contacted me directly to see if I have points to rent - 2 of them even became DVC members and asked me for advice beforehand.

Since it's your first time, I would go with a broker. The cancellation policy is a peace of mind, but remember that "getting your money back" does not always mean cash. Some give a credit, which is good for a certain amount of time, but your money is still locked in. It is definitely better than losing your money.

Oh good point. Credit with a broker may not be terribly useful - by the time your reservation is cancelled, you may not get another DVC room bookable with it. So you might be sitting on that credit until your NEXT Disney trip...which could be a while if you aren't an every year or even every other year sort of person. Also, make sure any credit doesn't expire. Getting your cash back is what you want.

When working with a broker OR an individual make sure to understand cancellation and CHANGE policies. Its best to think about a DVC reservation as final the moment you make it unless the contract spells out something else. Some owners who rent privately will try really hard to work with you, but often they can't do much because points expire, availability is limited, and points often can't be easily used without some pre-planning. Look into travel insurance and make sure the type you pick will cover timeshare rental.

When we had excess points after Co-Vid, we used Davids to rent points form 2 of our contracts. We were really happy with how easy it was and how quickly we were paid. While I don't plan to rent points again, I would not hesitate to use them again.

Definitely read the contracts of any rental agency. The rentals do come with some risk even if it's a very low risk. You wont be able to cancel like you are able to do with Disney. As Crisi stated, it is not going to be as flexible as booking with Disney, which is why you save so much money.
The thing to realize is that you are having to put your money up front at 11 months. During that time if something happens and you are not going to just be able to say I need to cancel. The most likely thing to happen though is Disney based on the discounts being offered now, could offer a really good discount or even free dining. Which you would not be able to take advantage of. It can save a lot of money over a deluxe resort, but it is still a lot of money to commit to without limited or no cancellation.

I apologize if this is off-topic for the original poster, but what about booking the confirmed resort stays more last minute through the sites? Is this reliable if you can find what you're looking for a month or two before your trip?

I apologize if this is off-topic for the original poster, but what about booking the confirmed resort stays more last minute through the sites? Is this reliable if you can find what you're looking for a month or two before your trip?
I just came back from Aulani. We booked a two bedroom ocean view villa, through dvc rental store, for six nights and paid $4950. Directly through Disney it would have been over $12000. We had a great trip with no problems at all. We made the reservation about two weeks before going to Aulani.

The same issues exist - Disney can cancel the trip if the owner doesn't pay dues. The owner can cancel the trip if they decide they want the points back, or the owner can change the name on the trip and "sell" it multiple times. There isn't anything special about a "confirmed" reservation - except its already been made - it isn't confirmed for you, its confirmed for the owner. Note that these scenarios are really rare, but they are possible. You want to read your contracts and know what recourse you have. If you are working with a private owner, check references if they have rented before - if they haven't, try and gain a level of trust with them. And take out trip insurance, which might (depending on the policy) protect you from getting scammed.

I am very risk averse and would not rent through a stranger. A broker made me feel more confident until our 8 night trip to Beach Club in a 2 bedroom that started on March 6, 2020. We made it, just barely. Never again.

As a previous poster stated you must be confident you will be able to go on the trip or be ready to lose the money. The owner may very well not be able to make any adjustments to the reservation once it's booked so be sure you chose a reservation time that will work for you.

We let David's know at 12 months what we were looking for since the point count was so high. We didn't ask for a second resort because if we didn't get what we wanted we were ready to book a moderate cash room.

We also purchased the dining plan when staying on points through Davids. We had to provide our credit card info to the points owner. That policy might have changed, and we had no problems, but ask the brokers you speak to what the policy is for purchasing the dining plan with your rental.

Finally, be careful! Given my need for control, we decided to purchase a resale contract! Just passed ROFR and waiting for closing docs. Renting points can be the gateway to DVC ownership!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter