Renovated Coronado Springs ... Not a Fan

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by cobright, Nov 5, 2018.

1. SharonZ

SharonZ DIS Veteran

I like the refurbished rooms at CSR, and it's still my favorite moderate. It never took me more than a 10 minute walk to get to El Centro, from anywhere at the resort.

gypsy_at_heart, saskdw and gillep like this.
  2. FlyingBelle

FlyingBelle <font color=blue>Official Tag Fairy Underwear Desi

I've stayed at CSR twice, the first time many years ago for a conference, and more recently last month for a week at the Disney Institute (amazing, by the way). I've never been a fan of the resort because of the size, but when it's paid for by your employer I'm not going to complain!

First, we LOVED the new rooms - the floors, the shower, the over sized TV, the Keurig, the USB ports everywhere... pretty much loved everything!

I'm a klutz and spill things everywhere. I loved being able to wipe up the floor quick and not wonder what other coffee, hair goop, etc. was smudged into the carpets. I also got a little chocolate on the bed the first day, which left a nice brown smear (can't image what mousekeeping thought!) and the next day I had crisp white bedding again!

DH loved the shower so much he wants to recreate it at home. Weren't sure about the mounted shampoo/conditioner/bath wash - but it looked very clean and we noticed they refilled throughout the week. The other amenities were nice - lotion and aloe gel in individual bottles. I even noticed the last day in the shower cap box was a small white pony tail holder (wish I found that earlier in the week!)

Oh the beds... the most comfortable night sleep in a hotel ever! Yes, I banged my shin a few times on the platform (my only complaint).

Location - we were in Casitas 4 - which felt far at the end of some long days, but was very close to Bus stop 2, a pool, the workout room and laundry. It was about a 5 minute walk to El Centro. If I had my choice, I'd probably chose Casitas 3 to be a little closer to El Centro.

Construction - was there the 1st week of Oct, and I heard the construction of the restaurant on the lake and the high rise as early as 7am (as I was walking to my sessions). But couldn't hear anything in the room. Was disappointed with the selections in the gift shop (as others mentioned - is under refurbishment), but that didn't stop me from spending a fortune.

Pepper Market - very disappointing. As others mentioned, it looks more like a shopping mall food court than a southwestern experience, but it was clean. I actually found the food choices more disappointing than anything. I had to special request some basic vegetables - they only had corn/pepper mix and some kind of squash. I'm more of a fresh, green veggies eater. Upon request I was able to get steamed broccoli, but it would take 15 minutes or longer each time.

Overall our experience with the refurbished room was enough for us to want to consider staying at CBR for a non-business trip in the future.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. snappy

snappy Survivor

This is a very thorough review! Thanks for posting!

5. dizneefan13

dizneefan13 Earning My Fins

I like the new rooms, too. I really didn't think I would. I thought the flooring would make the room louder and feel cooler.
    I didn't notice either of these things. Compared to carpet that gets so much traffic and is hard to keep clean, I'm okay with the "wood" floors.
    I especially love the new desk/drawer area. And the kuerig coffee machines. The three shelves came in so handy to set stuff on. The long counter/desk area also gives a lot of space to put things. The desk chair is nice. The grey chair is nice too, although kind of "hard".
    I love that they kept the sliding doors to the bathroom area. And the bathroom with two sinks is awesome, although a little tight. It has lots of shelves and cubbies for your toiletries and things. The shower is great. Roomy with two shower heads.

We are going back in April and at first I reserved POFQ because we haven't stayed there yet. But I changed it to CSR because
    1.POFQ has nothing like the counter space CSR has, and no desk at all.
    2. I like the bathroom area lots better in CSR.
    3. CSR has the kuerig.
    4. I like the new beds in CSR.
    5. I think POFQ still has the ac/heater unit under the window. CSR has it "flat" on the wall, taking no space. (my mom used an ECV and we need a parking place for it.

These are just a few of the reasons we are going back to CSR. I'm not one to care that much about the room; most of our time is spent in the parks or sometimes Disney springs and other resorts for meals and stuff. I would stay in a value, but for me, that décor is over the top and too "gaudy". I get enough of the Disney theme when I'm in the parks.

6. MassJester

MassJester DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Just got back from a few days CSR.

The room worked well for me. The bed was comfortable, the desk area useable (which, alas, does not go without saying), and the bathroom area was nice. I would have designed more counter space around the sink, but that’s a small complaint. The WiFi worked without any problems at all—if they had gotten nothing else right, this would have been a huge positive.

Sound travels between the rooms more easily than I would like.

El Mercado is my only lingering sore spot. Disney still struggles with the idea of good food delivered quickly—although the pricing is premium.

7. FlyingBelle

FlyingBelle <font color=blue>Official Tag Fairy Underwear Desi

They did tell us that El Mercado is run by a 3rd party. Not an excuse, as they said they expect their vendors to deliver the same quality and principles as Disney, but we found it interesting that on this particular property it's not Disney run.

8. Brett Wyman

Brett Wyman Mouseketeer

Interesting. Is that the only restaurant on property managed by a 3rd party. And what is the reason?

9. Moliphino

Moliphino DIS Veteran

All the restaurants at Coronado are run by a third party (Palmas). They also manage all of the restaurants in Mexico at Epcot.

Olaf63 and saskdw like this.
  10. Princessclab

Princessclab Mouseketeer

Yes, I was told this in September when we were there, not at a conference. No issues for us, we loved it at CSR as I have said here before.
    The whole resort service was very polished and on a higher scale than we have experienced at other moderate resorts. :flower1:

Olaf63 likes this.
  11. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

There's several third party operated restaurants across WDW - Yak & Yeti, most of the ones at Disney Springs, a few throughout Epcot. El Mercado is third party operated too, but the only differences we found are that we didn't care as much for the sweets there, and the pizzas were more flatbread style than the thick doughy pizza you find at WDW operated QS.