Refresh Question

DisneyStarWisher

Love My DVC!!!
I am trying to understand the refresh strategy. My trip is in a couple of weeks. Right now, my DH and I don't have FPs for SDD and SDMT, but we want them. It is showing there are no more FPs for them. If it's showing that they are gone, can the refresh strategy even work? If so, how is the best way to go about it?

For SDD, the only way for it to appear is if you choose to modify one of the Toy Story rides (TIER1). If you choose to modify any other ride it won't appear as you only can book only one Tier1.

As for SDMT, just keep checking. It is not common but it is possible for spots to appear. Thing is many people are actually refreshing. For SDMT I found a same day FP+ as my 5th FP on my trip last year so it is indeed possible.

Just keep checking. Night before and day of will offer the greatest movement in FP's and chance to grab something (there will be some things open up before then but not nearly as much).

For SDD, the only way for it to appear is if you choose to modify one of the Toy Story rides (TIER1). If you choose to modify any other ride it won't appear as you only can book only one Tier1.

As for SDMT, just keep checking. It is not common but it is possible for spots to appear. Thing is many people are actually refreshing. For SDMT I found a same day FP+ as my 5th FP on my trip last year so it is indeed possible.
Yes, I am trying to modify a TSM FP. As far as SDMT, I am also trying to modify an existing FP. We are doing MVMCP, and we can enter at 2:00 (DVC members). I have a FP for JC 1:50-2:50, BTMRR 2:50-3:50, and PP 4:15-5:15. Instead of modifying BTMRR, should I be choosing to "Get FPs" instead?

Yes, I am trying to modify a TSM FP. As far as SDMT, I am also trying to modify an existing FP. We are doing MVMCP, and we can enter at 2:00 (DVC members). I have a FP for JC 1:50-2:50, BTMRR 2:50-3:50, and PP 4:15-5:15. Instead of modifying BTMRR, should I be choosing to "Get FPs" instead?

I just modify - less steps and easier to just refresh constantly. Plus I don't want to lose my FP in case I never get the one I really want.

I have had mad success with refresh but really only the night before and day of. Never in advance. I have pulled both of those rides multiple times, btw, but it usually takes refreshing about a million times ;)

If you already have 3 FPs, you need to modify or cancel one for FPs to appear. Modify is a lot easier. In MK there are no tiers so you can modify whichever you prefer. If SDMT is available, it will appear.

When I try to modify or add a FP+ using refresh, I click on every time that is available until the ride I want shows up. I click on morning, afternoon and evening and then each individual time offered (9:00, 9:30, 10:00, etc.). Sometime times pop up that have zero correlation to the time I'm searching. If the ride I want shows up available for ANY time, I snag it. I then modify the time from there and keep refreshing and scrolling through the times again. Keep trying, even day of, as people are moving times around constantly.

It's going to be difficult with this scenario because there is only one very tight window in which you can get the FP. When modifying BTM you will not be able to get times that overlap with the other 2 FP's whereas if you only had 2 FP's selected and instead of modifying went in to add your 3rd, your window would cover the entire time. It could require dropping another FP though so it depends how badly you want 7DMT.

If you can't get them, can always take advantage of shorter lines by doing RD, do during early EMH when no FP in line, or do at end of night - SDD is supposed to be cooler lit up at night anyway! Not sure if MVMCP day is your only MK day, but as PP mentioned it will be difficult to get with your window of time, and with FP ending early for party, less chance of any opening up that day.

Yes its possible that there are FP+ for those still.
You just gotta keep trying.
I tap on all different times until I get something to pop up.
I actually found that it worked better same day vs leading up to the trip.

When I try to modify or add a FP+ using refresh, I click on every time that is available until the ride I want shows up. I click on morning, afternoon and evening and then each individual time offered (9:00, 9:30, 10:00, etc.). Sometime times pop up that have zero correlation to the time I'm searching. If the ride I want shows up available for ANY time, I snag it. I then modify the time from there and keep refreshing and scrolling through the times again. Keep trying, even day of, as people are moving times around constantly.
My fear of snagging any time is that I would not be able to modify it to get the time I need. For example, if 11:00 in the morning pops up and I take it (thus losing BTMRR), what if I can't modify it to sometime after 2:00, which is when I can enter the park?

ETA: In fact, I have seen a couple of FPs pop up for like 10 something in the morning. Are you saying I should have added one, thus deleting my BTMRR FP, and then try to modify it to a different time? Isn't that chancing that I would lose my original FP and not be able to modify the SDMT one?

Last edited:
If you can't get them, can always take advantage of shorter lines by doing RD, do during early EMH when no FP in line, or do at end of night - SDD is supposed to be cooler lit up at night anyway! Not sure if MVMCP day is your only MK day, but as PP mentioned it will be difficult to get with your window of time, and with FP ending early for party, less chance of any opening up that day.
This is so untrue for me. I rode it last year at night by myself, and it scared me out of my mind! It reminded me of Space Mt which I hate! I like to be able to see where I'm going. MVMCP is my only MK day so no chance of RD or early EMH. That's the plan for later in the trip when we are doing RD at DHS to ride SDD.

It's going to be difficult with this scenario because there is only one very tight window in which you can get the FP. When modifying BTM you will not be able to get times that overlap with the other 2 FP's whereas if you only had 2 FP's selected and instead of modifying went in to add your 3rd, your window would cover the entire time. It could require dropping another FP though so it depends how badly you want 7DMT.
Why would "adding" instead of "modifying" cover the entire time? Wouldn't it still knock out the times I have the other 2 FPs?

Why would "adding" instead of "modifying" cover the entire time? Wouldn't it still knock out the times I have the other 2 FPs?

If you are modifying one FP, say BTM, and a time shows up for 7DMT that overlaps one of the other FP's, you won't be able to select it (well, you can select it but then it will error). It is trying to change 2 FP's for 1 and it won't work. If you only have 2 selected and are adding a 3rd instead of modifying, if an overlapping time shows up you can select it. It will cancel the other FP that you are overlapping but it will work because it is only changing 1 FP to add 7DMT.

If you are modifying one FP, say BTM, and a time shows up for 7DMT that overlaps one of the other FP's, you won't be able to select it (well, you can select it but then it will error). It is trying to change 2 FP's for 1 and it won't work. If you only have 2 selected and are adding a 3rd instead of modifying, if an overlapping time shows up you can select it. It will cancel the other FP that you are overlapping but it will work because it is only changing 1 FP to add 7DMT.
Hmmmm. Thanks for that information. I guess I need to decide if I want to cancel BTMRR in order to increase my chances (although probably only slightly) for SDMT.

Good luck sometimes refresh works better than others. Unfortunately you are looking for 2 extremely popular FP that pretty much everyone else will also be looking for. With having 3 FP booked at MK if something pops up you very well might lose it due to overlapping FP windows.

My fear of snagging any time is that I would not be able to modify it to get the time I need. For example, if 11:00 in the morning pops up and I take it (thus losing BTMRR), what if I can't modify it to sometime after 2:00, which is when I can enter the park?

ETA: In fact, I have seen a couple of FPs pop up for like 10 something in the morning. Are you saying I should have added one, thus deleting my BTMRR FP, and then try to modify it to a different time? Isn't that chancing that I would lose my original FP and not be able to modify the SDMT one?

Yes. As someone else said, you have to decide how much SDMT is worth to you. The general recommendation is to book whatever is available and modify from there. The reason for that is 7DMT will then show up on your list of possible FPs at the top making it much easier to refresh faster. That increases your odds of getting the FP you're looking for.

This is a day of concern though. Ahead of time, if your concern is keeping BTMR if you can't get 7DMT then I would not cancel. I would decide on the night before which you want more and adjust your refreshing accordingly. That said, it's not too hard to get BTMR day of and you're looking for later times (albeit in a tight timeline). If you can't ever get 7DMT before hand or during the day, day of, you have a good chance of getting BTMR back.

This is so untrue for me. I rode it last year at night by myself, and it scared me out of my mind! It reminded me of Space Mt which I hate! I like to be able to see where I'm going. MVMCP is my only MK day so no chance of RD or early EMH. That's the plan for later in the trip when we are doing RD at DHS to ride SDD.

Lots of people love night coasters. I ride Space and RNR but I don't like BTMR at night. I'd rather see where I'm going on coasters where I'm supposed to be able to see. :sunny:

Neither BTMRR or 7DMT are hard to get as a 4th FP+, so grab 7DMT and modify it. I'd be very surprised if you can't. BTMRR is really easy to get day of, I wouldn't worry about dropping it.

Remember, trying to modify it now when you're a few weeks out is nearly pointless. Your odds of success are pretty low. I know it's taking a leap of faith, but the FP+ system will become much more fluid the night before and the day of.

I was able to get SDD as my 4th FP on Thursday! I booked all 3 of our original FPs (including Toy Story Mania) early in the day and used the refresh strategy during my rider swap downtime on our last FP. I thought it would be impossible to get, but I really lucked out, and boy was it worth it!!!!

You rode SDD last year?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter