red X's

Tp222

Earning My Ears
Hello, I do not see anything but Red X's instead of Mickey heads etc. any thoughts?

I accidentally posted in the Test forum. My BAD!

Originally posted by Dan Murphy
What are you trying to post??? Pictures, clipart??

And welcome to the DIS. :wave:

Thanks!

Not trying to post anyting, any icon, like the smiles to the left are showing up as red boxes. As is the Mickey icons before each topic. It is very annoying.

Yup, lots of people are having a problem with the labels and icons for smilies, edit post, reply, etc. that are posted on disboards.com/images. The labels and icons that are posted on wdwinfo.com/images are just fine. If I disable my firewall, there are no problems. Got any suggestions? I've tried making some alterations in my firewall settings, but other than disabling it completely, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Yup, thats it! Same exact issue. Are you on XP? if so, did you upgrade to SP 2 recently?

I'm on XP but haven't done any upgrades or changes lately.

I'm having the same problem!!! Just got a new Dell computer, cable hook up & Norton Anti Virus & Firewall protection. I'm not sure (other than disabling the firewall, which I don't want to do) what to do at this point. Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks
Jane

I have noticed in recent days a lot of x's also, just on the DIS. I suppose there are problems of some sort with their servers. Maybe one of the Tech folks here knows.

I started having that problem last night too. I was browsing the boards and everything was fine. Went back later that night and red X's all over. I figured it was a temporary server problem. At work today I had no red X's problem. But here at home, red X's remain. Guess it is not temporary.

Does Tech Support have any suggestions? I also see a red "do not enter" symbol in the I.E. status line indicating a restricted site. Not sure why. I did not change any settings? Has something on the boards server changed?

Dave

Same problem here with the red x's. I do not have the problem at work, but I do have it at home. I have norton internet security, and it all worked fine til just a couple days ago. All arrows, smilies, poster pictures, etc.... are now big red x's. I hope its something that gets fixed on dis end and something I don't have to monkey with (computer illiterate here). Used to work just fine here at home. I hope it gets fixed soon.

I also forgot to add I can not directly link to the DIS forums I must first go to the home page and then on to the forum of choice.

Mal

Me too - it's driving me crazy. Mine just started yesterday, and I haven't changed a thing - Norton security and firewall - but I've had it for a while with no problems before. Let's hope it's fixed fast!

You guys are right - it does work if I turn off my firewall - as much time as I spend on this sight, that wouldn't be a good move. :D

Still hoping it will be fixed soon.

For anyone having the "red X" problem with the images, can you tell us:

1) Your operating system (XP? Other?)
2) What firewall product you're using

I'm having the red X problem using:

Windows ME
Norton Personal Firewall and Anti-Virus

I have LiveUpdate activated and I think there may have been one yesterday for the anti-virus, but not sure of the timing relative to the red X problem.

Thanks,
Julie

My operating system is Windows XP, and I'm using Norton Personal Firewall - BUT ironically, I turned off the firewall, and the website worked fine. Then I turned my firewall back on, and the website is still pretty much okay. I just get a view x's now sporadically throughout the sight (mostly people's avatars).

well seems pretty obvious it's a problem specific to norton internet security. Is there anyone having the problem that doesn't use that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter