Red Tide at Disney's Vero Beach?

Heading to Vero Beach on Nov 14th. I’m guessing things will be cleared up by then. Hopefully this post can stay on track to let us visiting know the most current conditions...
Please let us know when you get back how it was. I am going for a week November 25th. We love going there I hope it clears out soon.

Just read an update from Sebastian Daily. Conditions are still poor at Wabasso Beach -- but they are hoping a cold front coming through this weekend will cause windy conditions that will push the red tide back out to sea. I'm sure that can't happen soon enough for those living and working in the area!

I was in Vero Beach on Oct 12-14th and the beaches were open and all activities were in full swing...However on our check out day (Oct 14th) I went for a sunrise run on the beach and noticed several dead fish....I went about 4 miles and there were 5 dead fish along the way. Nothing major. Now I believe it is a different story....I think I saw on news there were thousands of fish washing up.
We were lucky to be checking out the day when red tide started showing up, but our family is planning to go back for Thanksgiving for a 5 night stay. I 'm hoping it is all cleared up by then. Fingers crossed.

FWC's red tide report 10/24/18 showed moderate (100,000-1,000,000 organisms per liter). DVC MS has called me twice in the last week re: red tide. I actually cancelled my upcoming VB trip 10/28 today. Last year's VB trip was cut short due to the hurricane Irma after just 1 day. I may be done with VB vacations.

FWC's red tide report 10/24/18 showed moderate (100,000-1,000,000 organisms per liter). DVC MS has called me twice in the last week re: red tide. I actually cancelled my upcoming VB trip 10/28 today. Last year's VB trip was cut short due to the hurricane Irma after just 1 day. I may be done with VB vacations.

I'm so sorry you've had such bad luck there. It's such a wonderful place, but I definitely can see why you'd be over trying. I hope wherever your next trip is works out perfectly. You're due!

Sitting by the Disney pool right now and no symptoms! I did have coughing, etc at Central Beach 3 days ago.

The Disney beach has been cleaned. Just walked out to Disney beach and NO symptoms! Hopefully the tide is turning!

This is FABULOUS news, Wdwcoltsfan! Thanks so much for posting here while you are at Disney's Vero Beach Resort! Have fun!

Heading to Vero Beach on Nov 14th. I’m guessing things will be cleared up by then. Hopefully this post can stay on track to let us visiting know the most current conditions...
We are heading on Nov. 15 for our 30th anniversary and all we can do is pray. I have seen where they are switching people to AK L last week.

Last edited:
Indian River County still has high counts of red tide for week Oct 18-25.

Indian River County still has high counts of red tide for week Oct 18-25.

The last test dates I can find are for 10/24 for Indian River county. Check out the link below. While hardly "official", it appears our cool front that came in here in the central FL area is pushing the red tide away. I'm hopeful! :cutie:

Good news for sure. I just checked to see if there are updates on the FL Fish & Wildlife site and there are DEFINITELY improvements shown on the map for Indian River County. When you click on the dots it tells location and sample results:

https://myfwc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=87162eec3eb846218cec711d16462a72

Praying the predicted wind shifts back to easterly do not change the good direction things have been going re: red tide for this beautiful area.

Just received a text update that Indian River County tested negative for red tide! Beaches expected to open today in IRC and Vero Beach!

Thank goodness!!! I have been watching and it sure looked like they should reopen soon. Thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter