Red Tide at Disney's Vero Beach?

jenhelgren

DIS Veteran
We are supposed to be checking in to Vero on 10/30/2018 which is 2 weeks from today and I cannot decide what to do with the current red tide situation. Is it possible that it will be gone in that amount of time? We are really looking forward to our trip and I hate to cancel and then have it cleared up by then but this is our first experience with red tide so I have no idea what to expect! How long do the effects usually linger on the Atlantic side? Is it a "here today, gone tomorrow" type of thing or should swimming in the ocean be avoided for awhile? We visit Vero specifically for the beach and spend everyday shelling and playing in the water and my daughter and I both have pretty severe allergies.

I think that website may not update very quickly. I have been following the unofficial Facebook page and Disney slipped notes under the doors this morning that red tide has been confirmed :( Having no experience with red tide and being from the Midwest--I am at a loss for what to do with out trip plans!

You can also check the TC Palm, Vero News, and Sebastian Daily Facebook pages. Several people have confirmed it at Wabasso Beach. Also, a few reports of respiratory distress from the workers at John’s Island-a residential community south of the resort.

The TC Palm Facebook page has several articles on the red tide. It’s bad. Very unfortunate. I would call member services and see what they say.

The TC Palm Facebook page has several articles on the red tide. It’s bad. Very unfortunate. I would call member services and see what they say.

Living about an hour and a half from Vero Beach, I've been keeping an eye on the red tide possibility. It is not yet "official" as the results from tests by the Fl Fish & Game are not expected to be in until later this evening or tomorrow early. But from all reports, it sure looks like red tide has made it to Indian River County, which is unusual. I don't know how much hurricanes/winds, warm waters, etc., played into this year's exceptionally bad red tide. Ugh. Here's the link to TCPalm that just came out about 3 hours ago:

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/l.../2018/10/16/red-tide-florida-2018/1656605002/

We live about ten minutes from the resort. I’d go over and check it out but after reading some of the articles, I think I’ll stay home.

From what I've read, no need for you to check it out, Floridafam. Sounds like unfortunately the red tide has hit there. :sad2: I found a new feature on the FL Fish & Wildlife's site with a map they update at 5am daily. It shows medium levels for Indian River County but high levels for Sebastian Inlet state park beach. :guilty:

http://myfwc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=87162eec3eb846218cec711d16462a72

We live about ten minutes from the resort. I’d go over and check it out but after reading some of the articles, I think I’ll stay home.

Being a local-can you give me any advice? Does it usually hang around for awhile once it arrives? I am reading that it is the worst they have found on the east coast so far. We had planned on meeting friends at Vero and I don't want to cancel prematurely if there is a chance of it clearing up in the next week, but also know that DVC availability is not going to be great in Orlando this last minute :(

This is the first time we’ve experienced red tide and we’ve been here 14 years. It’s possible that it could be gone in two weeks.

True. And yes. I had mentioned earlier how unusual it is for red tide to be on the Atlantic side of FL, and especially so far north. I still wonder what part the hurricane activity has had with winds/currents, etc. :guilty:

True. And yes. I had mentioned earlier how unusual it is for red tide to be on the Atlantic side of FL, and especially so far north. I still wonder what part the hurricane activity has had with winds/currents, etc. :guilty:

This is why I thought it you'd be okay. I was hoping that the link I provided would give reassurance, not the opposite. :(

We've had it all summer long on the Gulf Coast and it's finally gone from where I live. it makes swimming nasty and can really bother your throat from breathing in the air. I think they said we had it on the Gulf Coast around 18 months this time. Comes and goes, but mostly comes. Sanibel area had it the worst, down on Marco Island where I live wasn't quite as bad, but still bothersome.

Just so folks know, the date on that article you linked is October 17th. A lot can change (better or worse) in 4 days. :sunny:

The link I keep posting is from Fl Fish & Wildlife Conservation. If you click on the "NEW Daily Sample Map", and then click on the dot(s) in the area you are wondering about, it clearly shows the last test date. Vero Beach/Indian River County is due for an update since it has been at least 4 days. We should see an update in the next 24 - 36 hours. :cutie:

We are supposed to be checking in to Vero on 10/30/2018 which is 2 weeks from today and I cannot decide what to do with the current red tide situation. Is it possible that it will be gone in that amount of time? We are really looking forward to our trip and I hate to cancel and then have it cleared up by then but this is our first experience with red tide so I have no idea what to expect! How long do the effects usually linger on the Atlantic side? Is it a "here today, gone tomorrow" type of thing or should swimming in the ocean be avoided for awhile? We visit Vero specifically for the beach and spend everyday shelling and playing in the water and my daughter and I both have pretty severe allergies.

Hi,
My parents live in Vero on the beach one minute from the Disney resort and my Dad said the red tide is terrible there. He said the smell is terrible and he coughs when he goes outside. There are dead fish on the beach. The extended family was planning on going there for Thanksgiving and we actually are not even going to risk it November and will go somewhere else.

I don’t think your family will have an enjoyable time if you are going for the beach. I think you’ll be really disappointed. I actually made an account just to respond to you because I came across this post after searching for articles about the red tide after talking to my parents about how bad it is.

Hope this helps!

Posted this on the general VBR thread but copying to here, in support of the area.

We're heading to the resort the day after Thanksgiving and have no plans to cancel. We love the resort and the area. I will be sad if I can't walk the beach and take in the ocean I love, but we have so many places in Sebastian and Vero that we can't wait to visit again: restaurants, shops, microbreweries, tiki bars. We'll be there to support what we hope is our future home and its residents and businesses. Still can't wait.

Posted this on the general VBR thread but copying to here, in support of the area.

We're heading to the resort the day after Thanksgiving and have no plans to cancel. We love the resort and the area. I will be sad if I can't walk the beach and take in the ocean I love, but we have so many places in Sebastian and Vero that we can't wait to visit again: restaurants, shops, microbreweries, tiki bars. We'll be there to support what we hope is our future home and its residents and businesses. Still can't wait.
Depending on how bad the red tide is, it can affect the areas not directly on the beach. SW Florida lost millions of $$ in revenue this summer with red tide. It affects your throat and breathing and if you have any breathing issues it can make you very ill. The smell can permeate the area with all the dead fish on the beaches. It also means you can't eat any fish you catch anywhere close to the beach. Here, the fishing captains were taking people 30-50 miles out to sea to find fish that weren't affected by the tide. Restaurants that serve local catches have a problem getting good fish. Beachside restaurants may need to close down like they did in SW Florida.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!