• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recent Experiences with Unused FastPasses "Falling Off"

I'm not sure I'm following what the issue is. If an unused FP doesn't "fall off" after it expires, is that preventing you from making a 4th FP? If yes, does that mean it's not recognizing it as expired?

We will be at DHS next week and I booked a throwaway Little Mermaid FP for before we even plan to arrive at the park, so that we can make our 4th FP earlier after we use the remaining two once we arrive. Now I'm wondering what glitches I should expect with this.

Well it may have taken an hour or so to drop off, I wasn't paying attention I was in Galaxy's Edge anyway. I had FP's to Indy show 12:45, Beauty and the Beast show (2:00) and TSM at 4:30. The prior 2 dropped and after I scanned into TSM I was able to book TSM again. This was on Saturday. We were mostly there to take in GE, it's so awesome!

I'm not sure I'm following what the issue is. If an unused FP doesn't "fall off" after it expires, is that preventing you from making a 4th FP? If yes, does that mean it's not recognizing it as expired?

We will be at DHS next week and I booked a throwaway Little Mermaid FP for before we even plan to arrive at the park, so that we can make our 4th FP earlier after we use the remaining two once we arrive. Now I'm wondering what glitches I should expect with this.
I'm wondering the same thing. We want to sleep in our last day. I booked Star Tours for all 6 of us, but only 2 of us want to arrive earlier to ride it. I booked it for all of us though in case someone changes their mind. But if we don't show up and tap in, I want to make sure it falls off.

I have had trouble with them dropping off, sometimes not even as a strategy but just FP that I missed for various reasons. Some were still there in the evening when we were back in our room for the night. Would be gone the next day though.

Correct...if it doesn't fall off then it doesn't count as having been used and means that you would have to do another tier 2 prior to adding any more tier 1 FP's.

I would definitely plan for a possible trip to the attraction to scan if you arrive after it should have fallen off and it didn't. Can't hurt to plan for it then be pleasantly surprised if it's not necessary.

I have never had a FP not fall off but I have only done that a couple of times so I might have been lucky. Sounds like one of many Disney glitches that can go one way or another.

Correct...if it doesn't fall off then it doesn't count as having been used and means that you would have to do another tier 2 prior to adding any more tier 1 FP's.
I would definitely plan for a possible trip to the attraction to scan if you arrive after it should have fallen off and it didn't.

If the FP doesn't fall off like it should and I have to scan in order to get it to fall off, does this mean it would still turn green at the queue even though the FP is expired?

If the FP doesn't fall off like it should and I have to scan in order to get it to fall off, does this mean it would still turn green at the queue even though the FP is expired?
I'm not certain tapping it after it has expired works to clear it and I doubt it wouldn't turn green outside of the grace period. If I have a FP that doesn't fall off I just grab another tier 2 nearby and tap that one to use up the tier 2.

I'm not certain tapping it after it has expired works to clear it and I doubt it wouldn't turn green outside of the grace period. If I have a FP that doesn't fall off I just grab another tier 2 nearby and tap that one to use up the tier 2.
One of the PP in this thread said that yes, outside the FP window and grace period, it still scanned green when they went to the venue to clear the FP
Having never had to do it myself I'm not sure if that's normal for expired FP or like the expired FP sticking around period, hit and miss.
I hear what you’re saying. To be fair my husband took my band and scanned it while I finished my drink. He said when he scanned it it was still active. He asked the CM how it was still showing up when it was outside of the expiration window. CM said it wasn’t out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
One of the PP in this thread said that yes, outside the FP window and grace period, it still scanned green when they went to the venue to clear the FP
Having never had to do it myself I'm not sure if that's normal or like the FP sticking around period, hit and miss.

I have an idea as to what may have happened but typically no, an expired listing, outside of the grace period, will not go green.

I have an idea as to what may have happened but typically no, an expired listing, outside of the grace period, will not go green.
Which I'm well aware of. Typically, unused FP fall off too.
However, when they don't (when they glitch) does that glitch also mean they will always turn green? That I don't know. Mine have always fallen off and never prevented me from booking a 4th. But clearly, they CAN still turn green.

OP here...
Thanks to all who have shared their experiences and I'm not surprised to see that things are still 'consistently inconsistent'.

I took to the Disney website to see exactly how things are worded in regards to fastpasses expiring. This wording was in the FastPass FAQ section:

"Once you redeem your initial set of FastPass+ selections (or the last arrival window has passed), you can make another FastPass+ selection for the same day at an in-park kiosk or on your mobile device, up to park closing. After you redeem the additional FastPass+ pick, you can return to a kiosk to make more selections (one at a time), subject to availability."

Please note the words in parentheses: "or the last arrival window has passed". Seems to me that unused expired fast passes SHOULD NOT prevent you from booking additional rides.

Funnily enough, Disney explains how to book fast passes in at least 3 different places on the website. In the other spots, the wording in the parentheses was not there:

"After you redeem your initial 3 selections, use the app or head to a kiosk to make another selection—even if you’re in a different park from your original selections!"

Notice they say the initial three must be "redeemed"...no mention of the timing window passing or expiring.

Anyway...here are my thoughts...
If I book early morning "throw-away" tier 2 fast passes that I intend to expire, I'm not happy if I have to deal with them not falling off appropriately. I'm not happy if I have to tap into a ride that may not be geographically convenient at the time. And, I'm not happy if I have to make more tier-2 fast passes and haul myself over to the physical ride(s) to tap in. Once I hit that third pre-booked tier 1 line, I want to be able to start refreshing for more tier 1 rides. Anything else is just playing silly games with my time and their system. If you play by the pre-established rules of their system...the system should work...just my opinion.

Last edited:
Does it matter whether the one you actually use comes before or after the burner FP? In OPs plan, the burners come first and the one to use is the final - does that clear the others? Wondering if folks who had them not clear used a FP first and then the burner just dangled there unused?

Does that make sense? Just wondering if using it the way t system expects clear out the glitchy stuff that came before like a hard reset.

I read on a similar thread that if you go to the little fastpass kiosk they have for people not using the app the staff there can fix the fatspasses not dropping off

Does it matter whether the one you actually use comes before or after the burner FP? In OPs plan, the burners come first and the one to use is the final - does that clear the others? Wondering if folks who had them not clear used a FP first and then the burner just dangled there unused?

Does that make sense? Just wondering if using it the way t system expects clear out the glitchy stuff that came before like a hard reset.
I get what you are saying. It's possible but not sure why folks would book burner FP AFTER the one they want to use. The point of it is to book the burners earlier so when you use the FP you really want you can book another immediately. Having burners later defeats the purpose. I know I've always booked the burners early, normally before we even get to the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter