Recent Experiences with Unused FastPasses "Falling Off"

CT Disney

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone!
I am getting ready to make fast passes for my DD who will be traveling to Disney with a friend in January...it will be her first trip sans Mom and Dad. As college kids, they are NOT morning people and will probably get to the parks late morning.

For DHS I was going to set up two fast passes for early morning on tier 2 attractions that they won't actually ride. I was then going to set up their tier 1 fast pass for around 11:00. The idea is that as soon as they get in line for their tier 1 ride, they can start picking up additional same-day tier 1 rides.

When we went to Disney a few months ago, we had good luck with unused fast passes falling off appropriately. I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with this strategy.

Thanks!

It worked for me this past weekend, unused FP's fell off as expected. We were able to book a 2nd Tier 1 while in line for TSM.

It worked for me this past weekend, unused FP's fell off as expected. We were able to book a 2nd Tier 1 while in line for TSM.
How long did it take? At HS we had two instances where FPs did not fall off after over an hour. This was over the summer. We finally walked over to scan our MBs so it would drop. So odd how inconsistent it is.

We did it in a couple weeks ago. No problem with using FP for ToT, letting other 2 expire before we even got to the park. Booked a skinny dog for our next FP
How long did it take? At HS we had two instances where FPs did not fall off after over an hour. This was over the summer. We finally walked over to scan our MBs so it would drop. So odd how inconsistent it is.
I’m confused. If you were able to scan the FP to get rid of it then wasn’t it still in it’s valid use time? They won’t fall off until after the valor use period.

Last edited:
We did it in a couple weeks ago. No problem with using FP for ToT, letting other 2 expire before we even got to the park. Booked a skinny dog for our next FP
I’m confused. If you were able to scan the FP to get rid of it then it was still in it’s valid use time. They won’t fall off until after the valor use period.
The one time I remember in detail happened with muppets 3D. We planned to let it expire and fall off but it didn’t. We stopped in for a beer at baseline, it was still showing on MDE and stopping us from booking a fourth. We finally walked over and scanned it so it would fall off. Blinked green and the whole deal. We even asked the CM about it and they said it happens sometimes. I agree it makes zero sense. Second time it happened I was corralling our large group and don’t remember how it played out but we all had to walk over and scan.

If it turned green then it was still a valid FP. They have to no longer be useable to be considered expired. Meaning if you go to scan it turns blue

If it turned green then it was still a valid FP. They have to no longer be useable to be considered expired. Meaning if you go to scan it turns blue
I hear what you’re saying. To be fair my husband took my band and scanned it while I finished my drink. He said when he scanned it it was still active. He asked the CM how it was still showing up when it was outside of the expiration window. CM said it wasn’t out of the ordinary.

The question is why did it stay active. I (wrongly I’m sure) assumed it’s a way to deter burner FPs and force you to use them (or at least scan in) on attractions that aren’t high volume but no way to prove that, just speculation.

Y’all do know that they are valid 15 min after the posted window
Yes ma’am. This was a full hour after expiration time. Six trips just this year and we’ve used that grace period a few times. I’ve seen other people (on reddit) also share stories of FPs not falling off but curious to see if anyone here has.

Same problem a few weeks ago - I had unused FPs that stayed on the account for at least two hours. Happened twice in two different parks on different days.

what if i don't use or scan tier two fast-pass, can i still use the tier one fast-pass that was prebook ed. or do i have to scan the two tier before using tier one- (assumes tier one is booked for s later time than tier two but are both part if original fast-pass selections.

Why make the two tier 2s at all? If you only make a tier 1, then as soon as you have scanned in for that, can’t you immediately make FPs for another park?

We were there Sept 27-Oct 6. I was excited to try this FP strategy, but our touring plans were not dependent on it luckily. Not one single unused fast pass dropped off after its time expired. It took hours or in some cases they hung on till the next morning.
Tried the app, website, refreshing, and deleting the app and reinstalling.

Yes ma’am. This was a full hour after expiration time. Six trips just this year and we’ve used that grace period a few times. I’ve seen other people (on reddit) also share stories of FPs not falling off but curious to see if anyone here has.

No personal experience but I recall reading about this happening a lot over the last few months here in the boards.

Just make sure you don’t cancel the tier 2 FP+, let them drop off. If you cancel, you won’t be able to get another tier1 FP after you use yours. Even if the expired FP stays in MDE, it is done and you can book more once you use the last one.

Just make sure you don’t cancel the tier 2 FP+, let them drop off. If you cancel, you won’t be able to get another tier1 FP after you use yours. Even if the expired FP stays in MDE, it is done and you can book more once you use the last one.
Yes! While some have found an expired fastpass did not drop off, the vast majority report that an expired fastpass is the same as a used fastpass. The mistake some make is seeing the fastpass still on mde during the 15 minutes after expiration time and cancelling it to make it go away. Never do that, go scan and leave if you must as the previous poster mentioned.

Expired = used
Cancelled = not used

I didn’t cancel any of my “expired” fast passes, I just let them sit there, curious as to how long they would hang in there. We didn’t run back to try and scan them, as we didn’t need to book more. But I was unable to book any more while they were there - I was trying out of curiosity. And those suckers stayed for hours, or as I said previously till I checked the next morning.
I guess just my bad luck, lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter