• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reason for less elevators on the Wish?

For what it's worth.

Comparing deck plans (Dream, Fantasy & WIsh), granted there are no aft elevators on the WISH, but the mid-ships are further aft based on stateroom numbers. Dream and Fantasy, using deck 6, they are near 6074 and on the Wish 6122.

Glass atrium elevators give you nice views of the atrium when you're using them. It's a shame the Wish, which is supposed to have a pretty atrium, doesn't have any.

The elevators situation did work on the Wish (after the first day). First day no one knew where they were going LOL.

The atrium is not called the atrium on the Wish. It is called the Grand Hall and it is indeed beautiful. What I didn't like about it is in the evening if there are photo backdrops and characters out at the same time it gets terribly congested in the Grand Hall with no real clear cut path to avoid the mess.

DSCN7174.JPG

DSCN7104.JPG

DSCN7249.JPG

DSCN7359.JPG

DSCN7172.JPG

DSCN7335.JPG

MJ

We had a room on the MV that was very aft - 8678 - and the walk to the room was long. We don't use the elevators as we prefer to walk the stairs, but the walk to the aft rooms is still quite long from the nearest stairs because they are more midship than aft. For people with mobility issues or strollers, I would not recommend an aft room.
Yet DCL has the accessible staterooms at the aft. My wife and I had an aft facing accessible stateroom on the DVC cruise (9180). She can walk, but not far, so she uses a collapsible wheelchair on the ship to get around. Not only was it a long walk between stateroom and "aft" elevators, but the hallways are not that wide and many time she would have to get out of the chair to get past the housekeeping carts, while I collapsed the chair to get it past the cart(s).

Yet DCL has the accessible staterooms at the aft. My wife and I had an aft facing accessible stateroom on the DVC cruise (9180). She can walk, but not far, so she uses a collapsible wheelchair on the ship to get around. Not only was it a long walk between stateroom and "aft" elevators, but the hallways are not that wide and many time she would have to get out of the chair to get past the housekeeping carts, while I collapsed the chair to get it past the cart(s).
There's not much they can do about that. The shape of a ship dictates that HA staterooms are far forward and far aft.

Same with us. We had one party member who needed a wheelchair and she often had to get up and we would have to close the wheelchair to pass but often there was a room host around who would move the cart into an alcove so we could pass. We had cabins 9666 and 9668 aft and it was a long walk. Also not easy pushing a wheelchair on new carpet!!

We had to rent a wheelchair once onboard as our friend didn't think she would need it but she did. I asked at guest service as soon as we boarded and was given an old wheelchair that had a Disney Wonder sign on it. I was just glad they had one that we could use. They would charge our account $250 if it was not returned. We certainly didn't plan on keeping it LOL! They don't actually put a hold on your account...they would just charge you if not returned.

MJ

We talk the elevators only when necessary and the stairs as much as possible. It's how I justify eating desert every night! :P

Except for people who can't walk or who can't walk well, of course. Let's not forget about them.
Well, I haven't been on the Wish, but I hope those with mobility issues do look at what cabins they select in proximity to the elevators. And from what others have posted, if there are more ADA cabins and more elevators, sounds like it could be a huge improvement for those with mobility issues.

Well, I haven't been on the Wish, but I hope those with mobility issues do look at what cabins they select in proximity to the elevators. And from what others have posted, if there are more ADA cabins and more elevators, sounds like it could be a huge improvement for those with mobility issues.
I was responding to the rude comments that Americans are fat and need to walk more by reminding the other poster that some guests can't walk up the stairs and need the elevators.

Anyway, Disney put a bunch of the accessible rooms at the far ends of the ship, so guests with disabilities might not have much choice in where they're staying.

Anyway, Disney put a bunch of the accessible rooms at the far ends of the ship, so guests with disabilities might not have much choice in where they're staying.
So if I am understanding correctly, the accessible rooms AND the elevators are at the far ends of the ship? So, that would be good, right?

So if I am understanding correctly, the accessible rooms AND the elevators are at the far ends of the ship? So, that would be good, right?
The elevators aren't at the far ends of the ship. You can see them on the deck plans. They've basically divided the ship into thirds. So, the forward and aft elevators on the Wish are closer to midship than they are on the other ships.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter