REAL ID requirement for air travel postponed till 2023

Getting Real ID can be a PITA for woman. My wife needed to obtain a copy of marriage certificate from her first marriage more then 30 years ago. Also needed divorce documents. We had a copy of our marriage certificate. Had to trace her name from birth certificate to current name.

I'm going to just use my Global Entry card if Real Id is ever required.

Getting Real ID can be a PITA for woman. My wife needed to obtain a copy of marriage certificate from her first marriage more then 30 years ago. Also needed divorce documents. We had a copy of our marriage certificate. Had to trace her name from birth certificate to current name.

I'm going to just use my Global Entry card if Real Id is ever required.

remember, a passport card is also a Real ID!

I couldn't see the purpose of a passport card. I thought its only valid for land crossing, basically to Canada?

i think so. It was only an extra $30 when I got my renewed passport so I figured, why not. But since it’s also a real ID, it will also be good for flying domestically.

Global Entry costs under $100. The fee is reimbursed by many travel credit cards. Gives you TSA pre. Expeditated customs, some airports cruise ports. Also gives you a real ID card.

I must be a doofus. No idea about this whole thing! I went and looked at my license and TA-DA I have the star. Go figure. But I also have Global entry. (I used to live in Illinois and I know they won't be real id compliant until..... who knows - glad we moved out of that hot mess state)

Yeah, it's just mind-boggling to me that some states are still almost 10 years behind the curve. Here in Florida, I've had REAL ID for years and years. smh.

Washington State is filled with Libertarians that feel it is none of the federal governments business telling Olympia how to operate.

Yup things are a cluster flub in PA. My license had to be renewed by the end of June last year and the DMVs had just reopened. I got caught in between when the DMVs reopened and they started sending the licenses in the mail with old photos. I was told I could not renew by mail and had to wait in line for a new photo for hours with the new haphazard covid protocols just put into place. They were not issuing Real IDs due to covid so we could only get original licenses and then were told to come back before Oct 2021 and pay again for a real ID !?

On top of that, my passport expired early this year and you need to use the USPS to renew that ... and the USPS has been a mess as well!

Basically this extension has been great news for me as I'm planning to fly down to WDW in early Nov, although I hope to have my passport renewed by then.

You pay again because it is extended an extra 4 years in PA. So if your current expires 2024, when you get Real ID it will expire 2028.

We got Real ID in January 2019 here in MT. You can renew your license without having to take the written and road test for 6 months before and 3 months after it expires though if you go into the past expires you can't actually drive at least not legally.
I had to renew my license in May 2018 and my license will not renew again until 2026 though I can renew it in December 2025 and still be in the 6 month range.

I will need to do the math and see which works out to be less getting a passport or more acurately renewing my long expired passport and getting it put in my married name or paying the so much a year lost license fee to the original renewal date plus the extra amount for a real id driver's license.

I know if I had gone and gotten a real id license in 2019 it would have been more than getting a passport.

Since DH had to renew his license this past January he was able to get his real ID.

Last edited:
In Colorado and will be getting my 3rd (2nd renewed) REAL ID DL this year. Cant even remember any hassle to getting it. Really do not understand the holdup. Yes I’ve heard the “reasons” but still.....🤷‍♀️

Is there any reason to get a Real ID if you have a passport? I see no need for one if I keep my passport current.

Real ID will also be needed to enter government buildings so converting your Drivers License would prevent you from also needing to carry your passport with you for those instances.

If you have no plans for international travel, having Real ID added to your driver's license is much cheaper then getting a passport (+ cost of photos). Passport card is only good for land/sea travel to Canada/Mexico/Bermuda/Caribbean, so if you EVER plan to travel internationally or fly to those locations, you will still need a passport.

I don't understand the states that are such a mess. Indiana has been doing REAL ID since I got my first license here when I moved in 2014. I also just got it renewed this year. There really is, at this point, no excuse for states to not have it figured out.

In my case, Michigan has offered the so-called "enhanced driver license" for years now and it qualifies as a REAL ID. So a while back, I just upgraded my renewal to the EDL. It also allows land border crossings to/from Canada and Mexico (although Canadian border is going to be closed for some time, no blackjack at Caesars Windsor for me).

Ohio has been doing REAL ID since 2018, but the list of documents required is pretty arduous. Not sure if all other states are like that but I'd imagine so. Especially if someone doesn't work (wife is a SAHM) you basically have to dig up your Social Security card.

Regarding passports, it's nice that we can take our own in the US and not have to pay someone else to do it. IMO it's actually pretty fun to get the perfect passport photo especially with young kids

On top of that, my passport expired early this year and you need to use the USPS to renew that ... and the USPS has been a mess as well!

Basically this extension has been great news for me as I'm planning to fly down to WDW in early Nov, although I hope to have my passport renewed by then.

We had to renew my wife’s passport in February and according to USPS tracking, it’s delayed but still on track to be delivered. She got her new passport by the end of March. I wonder if we can collect on the insurance that comes with Priority Mail.

We had to renew my wife’s passport in February and according to USPS tracking, it’s delayed but still on track to be delivered. She got her new passport by the end of March. I wonder if we can collect on the insurance that comes with Priority Mail.

insurance is for loss or damage, not delays.

Priority Mail does not guarantee a delivery timeframe.

Priority Mail does not guarantee a delivery timeframe.

I never said it did. I was just pointing out that according to USPS tracking, her old passport hasn’t been delivered to the processing center. She got her new one and her old one at the end of March.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter