Rationing again?

A few months ago a local grocery store was literally giving away (for free) hand sanitizer, hand sanitizing wipes and antibacterial hand soap (and not tiny bottles either) with a limit of 6 free per transaction. I guess they had excess and figured they wouldn’t need them anymore. I shop there a few times a week so I really stocked up. Now they’re selling the same ones they were giving away for free.

In Florida, we have a water emergency. Liquid oxygen, which is used to purify water, is in short supply. It is also used for ventilators. Since Florida has so many people on ventilators, the water utilities are unable to secure more liquid oxygen.

People are begin asked to conserve water. They are asked to not use any type of irrigation. If not enough people conserve, they might to eventually issue boil orders.

People are stockpiling bottled water just in case.

I can tell you from a supplier POV, there are serious supply chain issues out there right now. Our products are already a month late, and retailers haven't flinched....they are seeing it all over. There are dozens of boats waiting to get into major Chinese ports, and some are simply bypassing the port, leaving stuff behind. Suppliers are begging and borrowing for space, rates have increased by 40%! It's so bad, Home Depot has chartered their own freighter to mitigate risk.

So now we get stateside, and between truck shortages, driver shortages, dock worker shortages, etc... you get extended time from port. We are seeing 21 day transits stretching to 60-70 days, and slipping. I was supposed to be at a plant this past week to watch the initial assembly, but it has slipped to week after next, and it slipped 2 days just this week. We already had to move warehouses to a completely new state because of worker issues. It's crazy.

You are going to see price increases on pretty much everything this fall. What you have seen so far is just the tip. Everything we sell is going up a minimum of $1, with items over $20 going up $5. I have spoken with friends at other companies, and it's happening there, too. Inflation is going to be out of control.

Ironically, though, with so much "free" money out there, demand is still thru the roof. My old company was in building products, and they were up over $100 million on my product line alone! They built a new plant just to keep up. Seeing the same thing at my new place, in a wildly different industry.

Bottom line. Expect empty shelves for a while on some things, and expect higher prices on everything.

I went to Tom Thumb today to get corn tortillas so I could make enchiladas for dinner. There were plenty of flour ones but only a few packages of the right size corn and they were all cracked so unusable. That's not normal at all.

Haven't noticed at the grocery store.
Going to Costco tomorrow so I will check it out

Back from Costco.
Shelves have everything (mostly).....but not stacked as high as they usually are.
Paper towels did have a limit of 1. TP (Kirkland brand) had a limit of 2......but they were out. I shop during senior hour, so more might come in later. They had some small rolls of some TP, I never heard of.
I needed to buy oatmeal (the huge box), they had them but only about 10 boxes.

Went to Sam's Club this morning. No limits on stuff. Had plenty of TP and paper towels(all brands). Also had masks and hand sanitizer (EVERYONE seems to have plenty of that).

Only thing we didn't find was diet Pepsi.

I heard several weeks ago on the news that prices are going up due to some predicted shortages again.

I did not stock up, but noticed at Walmart that Scotts TP went up $1 a few weeks ago on the package size I get. Now, it's up another 50¢. So, maybe that is making people stockpile again?

Oh no! I would hate for last year to be repeated again, I hope things don't get at least that bad. I'm okay with some issues, we've been experiencing that already with truck shortages, cargo ship issues, shipping container issues, manufacturing plant issues and more we surely don't need more on top of that.

we have shortages of bottled water and it's absolutely due to natural disasters. firefighters are first priority and the stores are making that known. we also have had local fires that have damaged or destroyed water availability for the significant population who rely on wells. all this taken into consideration the stores are rationing (if it reaches the shelves at all-much is being directed straight to fire departments for their staff/community distribution).

grocery shelves have been less filled lately and often the items in weekly ads are not available let alone on sale (gotta love ads that corporate is in charge of w/o regard to supply).

the last time i was at costco i noticed that they are no longer at all carrying (i checked w/ customer service on it) several products. the same with trader joes. when the costco online ad went up for sales that started in early august several of the products were out of stock within hours.

Strange things have been out of stock the past couple times I’ve been to the store. Stain spray (Shout, Spray & Wash, etc.) And canned pumpkin are the two most recent that I’ve encountered. I’ve chalked this up to supply chain shortages, but who really knows? :confused3

Same. I couldn't find any straws, liquid egg whites or brussels sprouts last trip. But they'll be there in full stock next trip I'm sure.

I wanted to place a Sam’s Club order and their brand of TP and paper towels were out of stock - I‘m in the Chicagoland area. I’m going to try again today and see what the website says.

I have noticed limits on certain things like at Aldi, mostly fresh meat and paper products and limit on can goods, Publix cases of water, BJ's warehouse... like limit of 3 on paper towels and TP.

Here we compete with the tourist and snowbirds for basically everything.

So we see limits quite often on things, I think just so that everyone can get what they need.

I heard several weeks ago on the news that prices are going up due to some predicted shortages again.

I did not stock up, but noticed at Walmart that Scotts TP went up $1 a few weeks ago on the package size I get. Now, it's up another 50¢. So, maybe that is making people stockpile again?

I wrote the above post 2-1/2 weeks ago. Now the same pack of toilet paper is up another $1. And it's not available for delivery. If anyone is making people hoard toilet paper again, it's the stores. :furious:

I wrote the above post 2-1/2 weeks ago. Now the same pack of toilet paper is up another $1. And it's not available for delivery. If anyone is making people hoard toilet paper again, it's the stores. :furious:

To be fair, the prices going up isn’t all just stores being greedy for profit. The actual production costs of many products are increasing, causing stores to increase their prices. If increasing costs are making people hoard, it isn’t necessarily the retailer’s fault.

Sure hasn't hit here. I will check again tomorrow, but last Sunday the TP aisle at both Walmart and my franchise grocery store were fully stocked. If anyone is causing TP hoarding, it isn't the stores, it's people going on Social Media saying people are hoarding and that there is a toilet paper shortage.

Not rationing, but short supply...new cars!
Was at the dealer's yesterday getting work done and saw one new car on the lot, plus two inside. Asked a salesman about it. She said they had "a couple more coming" and they didn't know when they might get more after that.
Glad I'm not looking right now!

Went to Kroger yesterday. Couldn’t find any store brand bread or Jiff peanut butter. Half the shelves were empty and saw signs stating supply issues. It’s like deja vu

There are supply issues in areas recently affected by Hurricane Ida for multiple reasons..

Our markets, especially Sam's and Walmart, and Winn Dixie are limited in bread, fresh meats, dairy, sugar, lunch meats and other random products so much so that Walmart pick up and delivery is suspended.

Added to that is Louisiana residents are looking for groceries here to take back. And we have numerous people and groups taking supplies in to Louisiana for relief efforts.

Trucks can't keep up, warehouses in Louisiana that supply the goods that fill our stores are closed, limited in employees, truckers, etc.

I shopped at our neighborhood Walmart Friday and filled in gaps with a stop at our local independent grocery on the way home to pick up a roast, sugar and eggs that were completely out at Walmart.

Last edited:
Not rationing, but short supply...new cars!
Was at the dealer's yesterday getting work done and saw one new car on the lot, plus two inside. Asked a salesman about it. She said they had "a couple more coming" and they didn't know when they might get more after that.
Glad I'm not looking right now!
Because of the chip shortage. We bought a Camry in July 2020 and had our choice of 80 on the lot. They have NONE on the lot currently

People keep mentioning labor shortage. With 3-5 Walmart employees with their huge carts in each aisle getting in the way shopping for the lazy people, it's not a labor shortage situation. There's plenty of labor, they are just catering to the lazy who won't do their own shopping and leaving the shelves empty for those who aren't lazy.

Have you considered that people who get grocery delivery might fall into these categories?
  • transplant recipients who really can't risk getting sick
  • medical professionals who are working massive amounts of overtime to care for people who are in the ICU (in my area, hospitals are completely full)
  • people with children who are too young to get vaccinated who don't want to expose their children to potential illness
  • people who themselves are ill and are being forced to quarantine
  • people (like me) who are managing my home, home-schooling my 3 kids because our schools aren't taking safety seriously, a full-time job, and a DH who is traveling 50% of the time to install testing machines and medical equipment manufacturing machines so the medical professionals have enough supplies. That's my situation, but I know a lot of others in similar ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter