Rationing again?

I was surprised at the low inventory at Sam's Club 2 weeks ago on paper towels and tp.

The only other in person shopping I've done is for college apartment items. All of those were picked through.

I got all of my items in my Walmart grocery pick up today.

We are coming to the end of our pandemic tp we bought last year. I'll need to get more in the next month or so.

No limits at my local Kroger - yet.

Costco might be dealing with shortages due to transportation issues, I know there's a truck driver shortage and the stock isn't getting to some stores.

But it wouldn't surprise me if they're being proactive because they just know some jerk is going to come in and buy 20 packages of toilet paper because they think shortages are coming.

No rationing at my Costco but they also had no name brand toilet paper or paper towels in the store. And only about 20 packs of the Kirkland paper towels out on the floor. It was really strange. It's almost like Costco did not get a very large order of paper products.

About TP. About two weeks ago I noticed a couple perhaps “stockpiling” it. They had like a 20 pack of Scott’s in their cart, and also a similar size pack of Shop Rite’s Paper Bird brand.

Maybe Scott’s had a Limit One on Price Plus discount or Digital Coupon sale.

Our Walmart yesterday was completely out of eggs. It was a bit disconcerting. But, the tp and canned goods were all normal, so I don’t know if it was a hoarding situation or a delivery issue. We went to another (local run) grocery store later in the day and the egg situation was fine. 🤷🏻‍♀️

No stores have limits on anything around here.
No limits around here per signs. The limits are the empty shelves. Walmart sucks. It's creeping from my local Walmart to all the other Walmarts around, nothing on the shelves. My local Wallyworld has had empty shelves for 5 years, so that's not a pandemic thing. I have to drive almost an hour to grocery shop because the Walmart and grocery stores 5 miles away are unshoppable (I just made that word up, lol.)

We were at Sam's last week and they were limiting cases of canned vegetables to 1 per order. These were boxes with 8 or so standard cans.

A couple of people on message boards around here started telling people to hoard because shortages were coming. I don’t know if it had any effect. that is what starts these shortages

I agree, also on youtube there are several hoarders that speak of imminent shortages and to stock up on everything non perishable. :( You should see some of their 'storage rooms' - looks like mini grocery stores! They attract gullible people.

In our area, what bare shelves I notice aren't really shortages, but are lack of either employees to stock, or slow deliveries for lack of truck drivers.

Haven’t noticed anything in Maryland at the grocery store. Also just was in NJ for a week and nothing out of the ordinary there either. ( wasn’t in Costco though)

I haven't seen rationing, but there are definite supply issues on some things (household cleaners, laundry detergent, and I haven't seen lime juice in months).

Nothing is rationed at our stores, because there just isn't much on the shelves at all. The labor shortage is really starting to show here. Not sure if it's a shortage in people making the products, the truck drivers to get the products to the stores, or the employees at the store to stock the shelves. Honestly, it's probably all 3.

My local Sam's Club is not back to rationing and I hope it doesn't come back. I did see a guy with a flat cart stocked with probably 20 boxes of Clorox wipes.

I guess people are being cautious with this next wave.

Last edited:
I did an Instacart the other day from Costco. Among a few other items, I also wanted water, Ice Mountain, sport cap. Instacart shopper texted that they had none. Usually, they have hundreds of cases. I do prefer that brand and bottle. I canceled the order and did an Instacart with Woodman's (Illinois and Wisconsin store), worked fine.

Nothing limited at my Costco yesterday, I'm in South Florida.
Me too, also in South Florida (Miami). Specific to the important item of TP, I bought two 30-packs of Charmin -- one for us and one for DD's apartment at college.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter