• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rapid Antigen testing options in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious to know the actual turn around time that people have experienced with the "within 24 hours" test at Walgreens. I'm toying with the idea of a day trip...I like to live dangerously. I've heard people say they sometimes get the results within a few hours.

Thanks in advance!

We had it back under 2 hours both times we did it.

All told in my family we’ve done the Rapid ID Now Walgreens test over a dozen times. Results have come in under two hours every time.

I'm curious to know the actual turn around time that people have experienced with the "within 24 hours" test at Walgreens. I'm toying with the idea of a day trip...I like to live dangerously. I've heard people say they sometimes get the results within a few hours.

Thanks in advance!
If you're planning a day trip, do the test here in Canada the day before you leave. That's easier by far and pretty cheap. The wording on the gov't website is "day before" for rapid antigen (not 24 hours).

If you're planning a day trip, do the test here in Canada the day before you leave. That's easier by far and pretty cheap. The wording on the gov't website is "day before" for rapid antigen (not 24 hours).

The test must be taken outside of Canada as per the Canada.ca website

Starting February 28: proof of a professionally administered or observed antigen test taken outside of Canada no more than 1 day before to your scheduled flight or entry to Canada by land or water
  • the one day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time of your flight or entry
  • for example, if your flight is scheduled to leave or you enter by land any time on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Thursday, or on Friday
  • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service
  • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  • the test must be performed outside of Canada

The test must be taken outside of Canada as per the Canada.ca website

Starting February 28: proof of a professionally administered or observed antigen test taken outside of Canada no more than 1 day before to your scheduled flight or entry to Canada by land or water
  • the one day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time of your flight or entry
  • for example, if your flight is scheduled to leave or you enter by land any time on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Thursday, or on Friday
  • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service
  • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  • the test must be performed outside of Canada
Oh, interesting! Thank you for clarifying. This is different than the 72 hour test for crossing the border for day trips, then.

I think there's a bit of a mix-up here with the testing time frames. I believe when poster ChrisParker referred to the "within 24 hours" they meant the turn-around time for the results of the Walgreens Rapid ID molecular test, not the allowed period for a return RAT.

As well, there is no "72 hour test" for day trips any longer. Anytime you leave Canada you must present a negative test to return taken in the country you've travelled to. Yes, RATs are now accepted, but that will hardly make a difference to the average traveler. You still risk being stranded in isolation in a foreign country for (at least) 10 days.

I think there's a bit of a mix-up here with the testing time frames. I believe when poster ChrisParker referred to the "within 24 hours" they meant the turn-around time for the results of the Walgreens Rapid ID molecular test, not the allowed period for a return RAT.

As well, there is no "72 hour test" for day trips any longer. Anytime you leave Canada you must present a negative test to return taken in the country you've travelled to. Yes, RATs are now accepted, but that will hardly make a difference to the average traveler. You still risk being stranded in isolation in a foreign country for (at least) 10 days.

Agreed but the 72 hour tests do not have the disclaimer that it has to be taken outside of Canada. So you could take one here and go across, returning before the 72 hours is up.

Yes, that's what I meant. The test at Walmart says it will come back within 24 hours.

Agreed but the 72 hour tests do not have the disclaimer that it has to be taken outside of Canada. So you could take one here and go across, returning before the 72 hours is up.

The new Order in Council indicates that both negative molecular and negative antigen tests must be performed outside Canada (see sections 2.1 and 2.2 of the Order -- I can't post a link but you can find it if you search the online database of Orders in Council -- it's PC Number 2022-1078). This is the legal instrument that is currently in force. Any website that folks are quoting is doing its best to explain the Order in plain language, but may miss some nuances. I'd be inclined to follow the Order.

Yes they do. Both types of tests must be taken outside Canada.

See https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/t...ovid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada

Your proof of a valid negative test result is timed from the initial scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada:

a negative molecular test is valid if taken outside of Canada within 72 hours
for example, if your flight is scheduled to leave at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
Delayed flights: if your flight is delayed by the airline, your negative COVID-19 molecular test can be used for up to an additional 24 hours (to a maximum of 96 hours) from the scheduled departure time. If the delay causes your test to be more than 96 hours old, you’ll need to be retested.
starting February 28, 2022: a negative antigen test is valid if taken outside of Canada no more than one day before
for example, if your flight is scheduled to leave at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken on the Friday or anytime on Thursday
Delayed flights: if your flight is delayed by the airline, your test can be used for up to an additional 24 hours from the scheduled departure time. If the delay causes the test result to be more than 24 hours past the one day limit, you’ll need to be retested.

and

You must take your pre-entry test outside of Canada based on the time you arrive at the land border or marine port of entry:

a negative molecular test is valid if taken outside of Canada within 72 hours of arrival
for example, if you enter Canada at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
starting February 28, 2022: a negative antigen test result is valid if taken outside of Canada no more than one day before arrival
for example, if you plan to enter Canada by land or water on a Friday, your test must have been taken on the Friday or anytime on Thursday

Just to play devils advocate, for the service where you do your own rapid online then they email you, how would they know you were in the US? You could be sitting anywhere

Just to play devils advocate, for the service where you do your own rapid online then they email you, how would they know you were in the US? You could be sitting anywhere
I'm guessing it would be IPS based, sort of like not being able to access U.S. Netflix outside the States. They may even have it VPN proofed, not sure.

They asked us where we were located. I’m sure you could lie. But your report states the time the test was taken. Customs knows when you left the country and if they compared the two would know you weren’t. And I don’t think that would turn out well for anyone.

Those of you doing the Walgreens/CVS tests, which are you choosing and what's the cost? We'll need one between Disneyland and getting on a cruise but the price seems high for a RAT. We don't have a car, are they drive through only?

The Arrivecan app doesn't allow for uploading test results--they have to be provided to customs separately.
:confused: I arrived at YYC on Tuesday and nobody even checked my paper certificate, nor asked to see my ArriveCan app. Both were reviewed by the boarding agent at the airport before I got on the plane home. Very puzzling.

:confused: I arrived at YYC on Tuesday and nobody even checked my paper certificate, nor asked to see my ArriveCan app. Both were reviewed by the boarding agent at the airport before I got on the plane home. Very puzzling.

Same thing when we arrived in Toronto. We were just asked if we had completed it. I’m guessing they don’t always bother checking because you were checked before you got on the plane.

Anyone crossed the border lately for the day - Buffalo NY specifically? Assuming we’ve got to do an antigen stateside ? Anyone know of a place?

Anyone crossed the border lately for the day - Buffalo NY specifically? Assuming we’ve got to do an antigen stateside ? Anyone know of a place?
I would book a Walgreens Rapid ID Now test for the minute you think you could get there. Results in a couple hours max in our experience.
That’s my plan if testing is still in place in June as I have tickets for me and my daughter to see John Mulaney in Buffalo.
I hope against hope the testing requirement will be gone by then. Also, let’s face the reality - if you drive across straight to a test, and that comes in positive, that is clearly not due to travel. And regardless of RATs being an option, day trips are simply not workable for most people. Another summer with these mandates will probably be the death knell for border towns that rely on tourism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter