Rant: The DDP is ruining everything!

kvogel11202 said:
Sorry- I may be just a tad oversensative about these things- :teeth: People can get very nasty, and I guess I lost my patience :blush: I became what I dislike! :badpc:

It's okay. I just hated the thought that you were upset when it wasn't what I meant. It's so hard to interpret people's personalities/voices/expressions online sometimes. :) And I can see how you can get oversensitive after a couple bad experiences. :goodvibes I'm glad we're on the same page now. :sunny:

If so many of posters on this topic are unhappy with the lack of magic, the invention of the DDP (which has "hurt" the dining experience) and the many more reasons that many have stated they have felt Disney has slipped off ... why do you keep returning? Espeically since many of the people making these comments state that they are REPEAT visitors... if you dislike it, stop going... if it is no long the experience you want from it, don't visit! Leave it for the newbies to enjoy!

Real nice disneygirl29, because we feel a decline is taking place we should either just shut up and get over it or quit going? Wow. I can feel the:love:
pirate:

I'm scratching my head wondering the same thing, Disneygirl29.

Our family has left. We left the dining experience at WDW about two years ago -- except for a meal or two at Jiko, maybe a turkey leg and a few CS places for lunch. And if they start dumbing down the Jiko menu any further, that will be off our list, too. Sorry, but we still hit the parks and do the rides, so the lines there won't be any shorter. But our days staying on site and being cut off from good nightlife (in the way of dining, adult-style entertainment and real strong drinks) are done at WDW. If there's a change for the better, we'll reconsider.

And our tiny group isn't the only one. My mother has found other places to stay, eat and party, as well as my in-laws (one grandma, two young adults, three kids.) So have our best friends, who have two little ones. So just in our socal and extended family circle, most have left the dining/staying on site at WDW in recent past.

Again, maybe it's a Floridian thing. Us natives are able to go lots, even for quick day trips. We see the menus/service change from month to month, and we're fully aware of what they guy across the street offers for X amount of $$$. Some are still a little hopeful that maybe a meeting of the minds will happen in a WDW office somewhere to make everyone happy, but apparently this hasn't happened yet. I know that's why I still watch the restaurants here on the DIS.

And our Orlando vacations cost half as much now, we get our real drinks, as well as very creative fine dining! More bang for the buck. Whoopee! I can go four times a year, stay off site and eat my main meals elsewhere for the same price two times a year staying on site and "living" at the World cost me.

Peter Pirate 2 said:
Real nice disneygirl29, because we feel a decline is taking place we should either just shut up and get over it or quit going? Wow. I can feel the:love:
pirate:

I can see both sides actually and I do wonder if at times if Disney is the vacation that some love to hate.

I see the point of being disappointed when things change. I miss Mr. Toad. But I got over it and I don't let it affect my enjoyment of Pooh.

As to food I am a meat and potatoes guy and I can usually find something to eat that I am pleased with even if they change the menus. I don't go to Disney for fine dining, I guess some did and are disappointed in the changes. But truly you have two choices, try to change it or get over it.

But as to Disneygirl29's comment I see her point. Kinda like a friend of my Mom's that really dislikes her doctor but she won't quit going to him and get another one. She just gripes about it all the time. :confused3

I mean if the vacation truly is not enjoyable anymore for any reason, be it food, or something else, I would never spend my money being miserable. There is enough of that in life for free.

We mourn the greatness that we miss and Disney dining was great. There are many people who don't see it that way obviously but at one time Disney had in their employ more sommoliars than anyone else anywhere (that says something doesn't it?). The Chef's Disney chose to head their Signature restaurants were top notch and highly acclaimed (a who's who if you will). What they accomplished was turning a dining wasteland into a dining destination and again just because some of you didn't see it that way doesn't mean it wasn't so.

But still the dining is only a portion of the magic I feel lost at Disney and this is only one board. Further, don't mstake the fun we have here on these chat boards as getting our tighty whitey's all twisted...It's just fun talking about something I care for.

As for not going, well we have a house in Celebration, which tells you how I feel about the Disney Magic and I feel it's my right if not my duty to let people know how negatively things are changing. But I still look forward to the Osbourne lights this Christmas, I still look forward to the Food and Wine Festival, I still thouroughly enjoy ToT, RnR, POC, HM and so on. But still I know it just isn't the same, so sue me. ;)

Personally, we're eating at Disney restaurants way less than before...In fact I've been to Tchoup Choup more this year than Flying Fish, my perennial favorite. So yes those of us who feel this way are talking with our money but that doesn't mean we have to be happy or quiet when talking about a once great restaurant (pick one) like Jiko who felt the pinch of the DDP so much the steaks got noticably smaller and they totally eliminated their best appitizer from the menu. Is their food still good? Oh, undoubtedly but it certainly used to be better.
pirate:

disneygirl29 said:
If so many of posters on this topic are unhappy with the lack of magic, the invention of the DDP (which has "hurt" the dining experience) and the many more reasons that many have stated they have felt Disney has slipped off ... why do you keep returning? Espeically since many of the people making these comments state that they are REPEAT visitors... if you dislike it, stop going... if it is no long the experience you want from it, don't visit! Leave it for the newbies to enjoy!

It's not quite so easy for me to leave. I've been going since it opened, and I'm a DVC member, so I have quite a bit of money invested in a piece of the magic. I also have a DS, 4, who is a huge Mickey fan.

As such, I'll go down fighting and complaining.....

My point is SOMETHING must be OK with Disney if people go back year after year, IF not don't spend your money there, don't continue to go and support sucha place! Sure you can contact the "management" and state you unhappiness, but carrying on about it, yet talking about how often some go back (year after year or several times a year), leads me to think it must not be SO bad if those same individuals continue to go back.

If I went to a resturant in my home city, and the service was bad or the the food, I would say something to management, IF I went again and it was still bad or not to my liking, I wouldn't go back!

Disney must be doing something right, we are all hooked...

Sell it. To say you are stuck and stuck spending more money year after year because you have a home or a DVC there is an excuse. If you aren't happy go someplace else. Another alernative, you don't have to go into Disney, or eat on property...

Many of us have $$$ "invested" in our Disney trips, even if we do not have homes there or are members of DVC.

"I feel it's my right if not my duty to let people know how negatively things are changing" why??? do you point out neg things to people in life tooo... that is sad... I guess I am positive person, I see the glass half full, not empty! Many people (espcially new visitors, or ones who this is a once in a lifetime vacation) don't need to hear that it used to be better, and this is wrong, and so is this... they have an ideal of Disney... and more than likely will leave with that same ideally having been fulfilled... they do not need you to put your negative spin on it!

I am taking myself off this thread, it is to negative.

disneygirl29 said:
My point is SOMETHING must be OK with Disney if people go back year after year,If I went to a resturant in my home city, and the service was bad or the the food, I would say something to management, IF I went again and it was still bad or not to my liking, I wouldn't go back!

Disney must be doing something right, we are all hooked...

It's just NOT the dining.

Sammie said:
I mean if the vacation truly is not enjoyable anymore for any reason, be it food, or something else, I would never spend my money being miserable. There is enough of that in life for free.

It's not that the vacation is not enjoyable it's that it's not as enjoyable as it was in the past. WDW has steadily increased my overall vacation enjoyment over the years. As years passed my WDW vacation probably climbed to a 9 out of 10 rating. Now it's slipping to a 7/8 out of 10. It's still alot better then any other place I've found to vacation but I miss the 9 out of 10 experience.

As a wheelcahir user WDW is the most accessible place I've ever visited. Almost all of the ride lines are mainstreamed. I can stay at any resort I want. All of the shops are accessible. I can ride almost any ride. Because of this I can't think of any better place for me to vacation. So getting a 7/8 out of 10 is better then almost anywhere else.

To tell me (or those like me) to just quit going, after I've been visitng WDW since year one, after I've raised my kids on Disney, after Disney opened my eyes to really good dining and really good service, after 30 years of being a Disney ambassador, after falling hook line and sinker for the 'Disney way' is just uncomprehensible to me...How can you even pretend to know enough about someone to even suggest such a thing?

I don't tell newbies, 'don't go because it's not as good as it used to be'. I say go and enjoy it to the very hilt, have fun, fall in love with it...Just don't tell the old timers it's as good as it ever was without some evidence (other than bottom line figures) to back it up.

Nice post Bill Sears. :thumbsup2
pirate:

jodifla said:
It's not quite so easy for me to leave. I've been going since it opened, and I'm a DVC member, so I have quite a bit of money invested in a piece of the magic. I also have a DS, 4, who is a huge Mickey fan.

As such, I'll go down fighting and complaining.....

I HONESTLY do not get this idea that Disney magic is on a downward spiral. :confused3 We are just back from WDW and experienced MANY magical moments. We did not stay Deluxe, we did not pay full price for our dining plan, and we did not book anything "extra" other than a carriage ride for dh and myself. We did not receive any "official" YOAMD merchandise or awards...but we experienced quite a few special, above-and-beyond moments with CMs. While I agree that Disney food has improved dramatically in the past ten years, to me it's :crazy: to think of it as a high-end culinary experience and therefore be disappointed by what I consider small changes. (I know, I know...others think they are HUGE changes...just not seeing it, sorry.) We REALLY enjoy many of the restaurants on property; however, they are just high-quality casual, IMO. Portions may have decreased, but that's a good thing. Americans are too fat (and yes, I could lose a few pounds myself...I'm not throwing stones) and unhealthy as it is! Previous portions were more for two or three people than just one. Also, the health-consciousness level is going up and that's a GOOD thing. We have enough disease and unnecessary health care expenditure in our nation that we can let the deep-fried, hydrogenated nuggets go without so much uproar, IMO. At any rate, kicking and screaming is probably not going to do much of anything except get the kicker and/or screamer's blood pressure up. There are more appropriate ways of venting one's disappointment. I don't feel anger is a normal or healthy response to the changes being discussed...but YMMV.

disneygirl29 said:
Sell it. To say you are stuck and stuck spending more money year after year because you have a home or a DVC there is an excuse. If you aren't happy go someplace else. Another alernative, you don't have to go into Disney, or eat on property...

Many of us have $$$ "invested" in our Disney trips, even if we do not have homes there or are members of DVC.

"I feel it's my right if not my duty to let people know how negatively things are changing" why??? do you point out neg things to people in life tooo... that is sad... I guess I am positive person, I see the glass half full, not empty! Many people (espcially new visitors, or ones who this is a once in a lifetime vacation) don't need to hear that it used to be better, and this is wrong, and so is this... they have an ideal of Disney... and more than likely will leave with that same ideally having been fulfilled... they do not need you to put your negative spin on it!

I am taking myself off this thread, it is to negative.

If no one ever pointed out the negative, nothing would ever improve. We have refirgerators because someone pointed out that ice boxes had some flaws. We have Disney World itself because Walt realized that the merry-go-rounds and carnivals could be improved so everyone could enjoy them. If he'd just sat on the bench, waving and smiling to his kids, ignoring any negatives, we wouldn't have a Disney World to discuss.

I agree with Jodi that it is our duty as WDW fans to point out the problems we see and try to get them changed.

If a woman's husband gradually stops buying little gifts and starts leaving dirty undies on the floor, is that grounds for divorce? If you don't like a law, do you move to a new country? If your wedding ring gets scratched, do you toss it and buy new?

NO!

You don't give up on something you love just because of some flaws. You try to improve those flaws first. But you still have a right to be disappointed or upset while you're improving.

Just like women fought for the right to vote and minorities voted to end segregation, noticing the negative is the first step to improvement.

I will continue to notice the negative as well as the positive and work to change the things I can and learn to deal with those I can't. I am just not content to look at the merry go round and smile and wave, I want to be a part of making something I love better. I might never succeed, but at least I can try.

It's not that the vacation is not enjoyable it's that it's not as enjoyable as it was in the past

Understand completely, but truly is anything?

I think one thing for me especially that has made WDW less enjoyable is the behavior of the fellow guests. And while some will disagree strongly, I think it highly influences the decisions Disney makes which then in turn affect us all.

At to voicing concerns, I agree, but please email or write Disney, don't let venting here be your forum.

How exactly is whining *the ddp is ruining everything!* (or whatever the *exact* words were~ HERE going to help anything? If you aren't getting your money's worth out of your fine dining experiences~ you really should change where you eat, for your own good. The truth of the matter is that the DDP makes table service dining more affordable, and more appealing to the masses (I'll be buying it).You (all unhappy WDW diners) should really eat wherever you feel that you are getting what you think you deserve. Regaurdless of where you spend your free time. WDW or not. :rolleyes:

LuluLovesDisney said:
I agree with Jodi that it is our duty as WDW fans to point out the problems we see and try to get them changed.
To the source of the problems, yes, very understandable. But (and I realize you didn't post this):
and I feel it's my right if not my duty to let people know how negatively things are changing.
is NOT the reasonable route.

New visitor: "Oh, we just went to Disney World and everything was fantastic! We had a wonderful time at all the parks, and oh, we ate at some amazing restaurants and had some of the best food we've ever tasted (that I didn't prepare myself, of course)"
Jaded repeat visitor: "You should have gone a few years ago, when the food was REALLY good".

Nope, telling Guests they're enjoying a lesser experience than others did a few years ago serves little purpose, except possibly to make them feel badly. After all, jaded repeat visitor is negating the new visitor's opinion.

Hey, this is my party, and I'll whine if I want to. Nobody made anybody post hundreds of times here. Now that we knwo there are so many like thinkers, all we need to do is keep writing Disney our examples so they can clean up their act.

And no, I won't sell my DVC. I will write letters and complain and get it changed for the better.

I'm not saying there are no magical moments at Disney any more, or that there's not any good food.

But I remember when Disney was far better than any other amusement/resort anywhere, and I want them to return to that greatness.

And I bet Walt Disney would agree with me.

LuluLovesDisney said:
If no one ever pointed out the negative, nothing would ever improve. We have refirgerators because someone pointed out that ice boxes had some flaws. We have Disney World itself because Walt realized that the merry-go-rounds and carnivals could be improved so everyone could enjoy them. If he'd just sat on the bench, waving and smiling to his kids, ignoring any negatives, we wouldn't have a Disney World to discuss.

If a woman's husband gradually stops buying little gifts and starts leaving dirty undies on the floor, is that grounds for divorce? If you don't like a law, do you move to a new country? If your wedding ring gets scratched, do you toss it and buy new?

NO!

You don't give up on something you love just because of some flaws. You try to improve those flaws first. But you still have a right to be disappointed or upset while you're improving.

Just like women fought for the right to vote and minorities voted to end segregation, noticing the negative is the first step to improvement.

I will continue to notice the negative as well as the positive and work to change the things I can and learn to deal with those I can't. I am just not content to look at the merry go round and smile and wave, I want to be a part of making something I love better. I might never succeed, but at least I can try.

:thumbsup2
couldn't find the "clapping hands" smilie
What I really was looking for was the "standing ovation" smilie! ;)

The Sweetness said:
The truth of the matter is that the DDP makes table service dining more affordable, and more appealing to the masses (I'll be buying it).You (all unhappy WDW diners) should really eat wherever you feel that you are getting what you think you deserve. Regaurdless of where you spend your free time. WDW or not. :rolleyes:

that's the point!! That is what is making the dining at WDW suffer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter