Ran into an issue with trip 2 months away. Any advice would help

GabetrixDisney

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone,

To start, I apologize if this thread is in the wrong area, My issue seems unique and this was a place I thought it would belong.

So me and my Significant other were planning a trip to the great Walt Disney world resort this summer, late June early July to be exact. We planned on staying at the storied Grand Floridian resort. My significant other has always wanted to stay at the grand and for this trip I am asking to get engaged. I thought this was the perfect opportunity. Like many others I’m going through a slight financial hardship and the grand commands a premium price.. I have a very close family friend who actually works for Disney and was able to give me a Friends and Family discount. Unfortunately my family friend is dealing with Somthing and doesn’t know if they will still be working there by the time the trip comes.. so I won’t be able to use it. I had planned everything out around this resort and our experiences including popping the question.. I would just like to know what my options are moving forward... any advice would help..
(What would you do in my situation, have you ever had to reschedule a trip with limited time, etc)

I want to stress the fact I don’t think I deserve anything special.. I was grateful for the discount but it’s my fault for putting all my eggs in 1 basket and getting in over my head.. and at the end of the day it’s just a vacation.. I just wanted this to be special and romantic I guess. I just don’t want to lose all our plans if that means changing things around. I have never done this before. Again, any advice on options would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure what kind of advice or options you're hoping to get. I get that the GF is something your SO wants to stay at and you want a romantic engagement but, to me, the romance is in the action and togetherness, not the setting. If it's going to be a financial stretch and you can't take advantage of a discount that would make it affordable, then you'll need to rethink and replan at another resort. After 30 years of marriage, I can safely say that a romantic location for us is where we are together. It doesn't need to be flowers and candlelight for me to feel the romance - it just needs him. It's also not terribly romantic if you're worried about finances at the same time. My suggestions: stay at another less expensive resort, plan the time to spend with your SO for the engagement (a restaurant, a little quiet area, in the grounds of the GF, or elsewhere). Think about maybe saving the GF for a honeymoon, a first year anniversary, a fifth or tenth year one, etc. Do something you love together.

DH and I went to WDW together for the first time a few years before we were married when we'd only been dating for a few months. Disneyworld is for us a romantic location in and of itself because of that trip. It was the trip that really cemented our relationship and made us think that this was going to be a long-term one. Don't get so stuck on the location of the engagement that you forget the purpose of it and that it's just the beginning of something longer. Getting engaged is romantic just by itself. Don't let the disappointment of where you wanted it to happen overshadow the happening.

Hello everyone,

To start, I apologize if this thread is in the wrong area, My issue seems unique and this was a place I thought it would belong.

So me and my Significant other were planning a trip to the great Walt Disney world resort this summer, late June early July to be exact. We planned on staying at the storied Grand Floridian resort. My significant other has always wanted to stay at the grand and for this trip I am asking to get engaged. I thought this was the perfect opportunity. Like many others I’m going through a slight financial hardship and the grand commands a premium price.. I have a very close family friend who actually works for Disney and was able to give me a Friends and Family discount. Unfortunately my family friend is dealing with Somthing and doesn’t know if they will still be working there by the time the trip comes.. so I won’t be able to use it. I had planned everything out around this resort and our experiences including popping the question.. I would just like to know what my options are moving forward... any advice would help..

I want to stress the fact I don’t think I deserve anything special.. I was grateful for the discount but it’s my fault for putting all my eggs in 1 basket and getting in over my head.. and at the end of the day it’s just a vacation.. I just wanted this to be special and romantic I guess. I just don’t want to lose all our plans if that means changing things around. I have never done this before. Again, any advice on options would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU

I’d just book a more afordable hotel and plan a nice dinner at the GF and propose. :)

I'm not exactly sure what kind of advice or options you're hoping to get. I get that the GF is something your SO wants to stay at and you want a romantic engagement but, to me, the romance is in the action and togetherness, not the setting. If it's going to be a financial stretch and you can't take advantage of a discount that would make it affordable, then you'll need to rethink and replan at another resort. After 30 years of marriage, I can safely say that a romantic location for us is where we are together. It doesn't need to be flowers and candlelight for me to feel the romance - it just needs him. It's also not terribly romantic if you're worried about finances at the same time. My suggestions: stay at another less expensive resort, plan the time to spend with your SO for the engagement (a restaurant, a little quiet area, in the grounds of the GF, or elsewhere). Think about maybe saving the GF for a honeymoon, a first year anniversary, a fifth or tenth year one, etc. Do something you love together.

DH and I went to WDW together for the first time a few years before we were married when we'd only been dating for a few months. Disneyworld is for us a romantic location in and of itself because of that trip. It was the trip that really cemented our relationship and made us think that this was going to be a long-term one. Don't get so stuck on the location of the engagement that you forget the purpose of it and that it's just the beginning of something longer. Getting engaged is romantic just by itself. Don't let the disappointment of where you wanted it to happen overshadow the happening.

Thank you for responding and I totally agree it’s not about the setting. I just did a lot of planning and I guess got ahead of myself. Also, thanks for sharing that story it was beautiful. I hope to make memories like that

What type of advice are you looking for from us?

Your options are... stay at GF regardless of a discount, contact Disney to see if they are sympathetic and let you keep the discount, stay somewhere else....

Exactly what you said. Just options. I never switched resorts so close to the travel date so I was concerned about losing my reservations and stuff. Thanks for the reply......

We stayed at Riverside on our first trip together so that could work as well

That very first trip to WDW together with DH was off-site and the next time we went was our first time staying on the grounds (CBR). But our first deluxe resort quite a few years later was BWI. We got a King bed room on the ground floor looking out into the rose garden; in the evening we'd buy wine, cheese and crackers from the resort shop and sit out on the patio. We bought APs last December with the intent of hitting all Deluxe resorts we haven't yet stayed at. We did BC in December, WL in February (which is really beautiful too), CR for May, YC for September and then that left the Poly for December. We decided against Poly for a number of reasons and ended up deciding to do BWI for some practical reasons (proximity) but we also have incredibly fond memories of our first real vacation together with just the two of us after not vacationing at all for 10 years due to financial, educational and work reasons (other than to visit family). Shared nostalgia is a strong emotion. Can you remember which building you stayed in? If you could get something close to where you were, it could really bring those memories to the forefront.

That very first trip to WDW together with DH was off-site and the next time we went was our first time staying on the grounds (CBR). But our first deluxe resort quite a few years later was BWI. We got a King bed room on the ground floor looking out into the rose garden; in the evening we'd buy wine, cheese and crackers from the resort shop and sit out on the patio. We bought APs last December with the intent of hitting all Deluxe resorts we haven't yet stayed at. We did BC in December, WL in February (which is really beautiful too), CR for May, YC for September and then that left the Poly for December. We decided against Poly for a number of reasons and ended up deciding to do BWI for some practical reasons (proximity) but we also have incredibly fond memories of our first real vacation together with just the two of us after not vacationing at all for 10 years due to financial, educational and work reasons (other than to visit family). Shared nostalgia is a strong emotion. Can you remember which building you stayed in? If you could get something close to where you were, it could really bring those memories to the forefront.

Wow that’s awesome. I would have loved
to have been in your suitcase for an epic trip like that. Off hand I don’t know exact building but it was just off the bridge by the pool, great location. She thinks it’s beautiful too so I think that’s our best option. I just got so wrapped up visualizing the trip and our plans but there’s still time to figure it all out. Thanks again

DH and I got engaged at Port Orleans Riverside on our first trip together. The resort and surroundings don't matter - its the moment that will be special and memorable. Don't over-extend yourself to stay at the Grand Floridian - other Disney resorts are just as nice and unique in their own ways. The last thing you want to do is go into debt for a Disney vacation. Its a luxury after all. Besides, that money will be better spent on your wedding!

Just a thought for an alternative if your original plans do not come together: Stay at Port Orleans. There is a lovely gazebo that over looks the water near the mansions between FQ and Riverside. They also offer a nightly carriage ride around the resort as well for another option. Best Wishes and hope you have a romantic trip.

Sounds like you have gotten some good advice already. Another fun thing you could do is call over to Fort Wilderness and arrange a horse-drawn carriage ride. You can also do that at POR. That would be super romantic (at least for me).

Have you looked into renting DVC points for your time frame. I have rented points several times, staying at a deluxe resort for moderate pricing. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you!

If you were staying on a CM discount, the CM will need to check in at the resort with their ID prior to your check in. If there is some hesitation that it may not be possible, I do agree with others that you should look at other options. Worst thing would be for you to check in and they make you pay rack rate. We have had wonderful memories at every level of resorts at WDW. Also witnessed a proposal at MK in front of the castle. It will be magical no matter what you decide. Hope all works out for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter