Ran into an issue with trip 2 months away. Any advice would help

I think Riverside is a very romantic alternative that's more affordable. Also, you don't have to stay at GF to propose there! Why not book a dinner there or something?

You have gotten some great suggestions. Have you discussed the situation with your SO? Maybe she has a preference for another resort since GF is off the table.

Are you the one proposing? If so, I think planning a surprise dinner at GF to propose would be amazing! Then, maybe in the future you would be able to stay there another time and you would have the engagement memory.

DH and I got engaged at Port Orleans Riverside on our first trip together. The resort and surroundings don't matter - its the moment that will be special and memorable. Don't over-extend yourself to stay at the Grand Floridian - other Disney resorts are just as nice and unique in their own ways. The last thing you want to do is go into debt for a Disney vacation. Its a luxury after all. Besides, that money will be better spent on your wedding!

Port Orleans riverside is looking like a great option. Thanks for responding!

Just a thought for an alternative if your original plans do not come together: Stay at Port Orleans. There is a lovely gazebo that over looks the water near the mansions between FQ and Riverside. They also offer a nightly carriage ride around the resort as well for another option. Best Wishes and hope you have a romantic trip.

Didn’t even think about the carriage ride. Great idea! The grounds there are very beautiful. Thanks

Sounds like you have gotten some good advice already. Another fun thing you could do is call over to Fort Wilderness and arrange a horse-drawn carriage ride. You can also do that at POR. That would be super romantic (at least for me).

I did get a lot of good advice thanks for reaching out.

Have you looked into renting DVC points for your time frame. I have rented points several times, staying at a deluxe resort for moderate pricing. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you!

I didn’t even think of that and I wouldn’t know where to begin.. I’m still earning my ears. I can look into that over the weekend and see what I can come up with! Thanks!!

You know what's romantic, still having enough money to pay your rent! Don't overextend yourself for a Disney trip.

Your totally right. I put all my eggs in 1 basket and got caught up but thanks to so many peoples responses I got put at ease. I was stressing out but it seems changing resorts with limited time isn’t that big of a deal. Thanks!

If you were staying on a CM discount, the CM will need to check in at the resort with their ID prior to your check in. If there is some hesitation that it may not be possible, I do agree with others that you should look at other options. Worst thing would be for you to check in and they make you pay rack rate. We have had wonderful memories at every level of resorts at WDW. Also witnessed a proposal at MK in front of the castle. It will be magical no matter what you decide. Hope all works out for you.

Yeah this all happened so fast so I’m glad I learned about all that. Maybe switching resorts will open up my options of where the actual proposal can take place. Appreciate the response. Have a good day.

I think Riverside is a very romantic alternative that's more affordable. Also, you don't have to stay at GF to propose there! Why not book a dinner there or something?

I have tons of reservations taking place at the Grand so I hope to keep those. Riverside is a good romantic alternative totally!

You have gotten some great suggestions. Have you discussed the situation with your SO? Maybe she has a preference for another resort since GF is off the table.

Are you the one proposing? If so, I think planning a surprise dinner at GF to propose would be amazing! Then, maybe in the future you would be able to stay there another time and you would have the engagement memory.

Amazing suggestions and I’m very grateful for them. Yeah we have talked about it, she was stressing because she thought that all our plans would be cancelled if we switched resorts but I learned those reservations will stay as long as I rebook within 48 Hours. She likes riverside, and I’m sure there are other resorts she would consider so we are gonna look over them this weekend

Yeah I’m Proposing and I think that’s a great idea about having an engagement memory. It’s all about the memories!!!

How about a dinner at Victoria and Alberts (expensive but it’s romantic and it’s GF) and stay somewhere cheaper. You can still visit and hang out at the GF. Like someone else said, if you stay on rented points it may end up being the same cost as your discount.

If you were staying on a CM discount, the CM will need to check in at the resort with their ID prior to your check in. If there is some hesitation that it may not be possible, I do agree with others that you should look at other options. Worst thing would be for you to check in and they make you pay rack rate. We have had wonderful memories at every level of resorts at WDW. Also witnessed a proposal at MK in front of the castle. It will be magical no matter what you decide. Hope all works out for you.
Actually, with the friends and family discount they just have to fax their ID to the hotel between specified dates.

In addition to what others have suggested about contacting Disney, have you tried the DVC section to see if someone already has a reservation for the dates you want that they are trying to rent out? You might find that is even cheaper than the friends and family discount.

You could also see if there are any travel agents that have a block of rooms booked at a discount for your dates.

I would also add that I recommend POR or POFQ. Not sure what else you like to do, but having the boat to Disney Springs is a total bonus. There is alot of places to eat and hang out around over there. If I were doing an adults only trip and couldn't do a deluxe then that would be the first place on property I would consider. SSR isn't another bad option if you are looking to spread out more and still be close to DS. Personally, I wouldn't break the bank just to stay at the GF. It isn't worth it. You could use that money towards your wedding, honeymoon or even future home. A proposal shouldnt be all about how extravagant it is---but more about the person asking the question. I didnt see anyone mention this idea---but would you consider doing a split stay. Maybe stay at POR or somewhere else for the first half of your stay and then move over to the GF for the last night or two.

I would also add that I recommend POR or POFQ. Not sure what else you like to do, but having the boat to Disney Springs is a total bonus. There is alot of places to eat and hang out around over there. If I were doing an adults only trip and couldn't do a deluxe then that would be the first place on property I would consider. SSR isn't another bad option if you are looking to spread out more and still be close to DS. Personally, I wouldn't break the bank just to stay at the GF. It isn't worth it. You could use that money towards your wedding, honeymoon or even future home. A proposal shouldnt be all about how extravagant it is---but more about the person asking the question. I didnt see anyone mention this idea---but would you consider doing a split stay. Maybe stay at POR or somewhere else for the first half of your stay and then move over to the GF for the last night or two.

We do want to spend a lot of nighttime at Disney Springs so having that boat to travel
Back and forth is a great option.

I just set my sights on the Grand because the past few times we have went to Disney we always walk through that grand lobby and walk around the grounds and she always said she wanted to stay there so I thought that combined with the proposal would just culminate everything but as everyone has stated.. the setting doesn’t matter. It’s about the memories and experience itself. A split stay could be an option as well. Thanks for the tip and reaching out

I am very grateful For the overwhelming support from the community. I was stressed at first but now I know what my options are and I have a better plan of attack.

It seems the general consensus is to switch to a resort like Riverside or POFQ.. can I ask the age old question what one is better suited for us?
  • We stayed at Riverside on our first trip so there is a nostalgic feeling there and she love the grounds
  • We do plan on spending a lot of downtime during the day too and going out at night so I do want a comfortable room and setting. Are the rooms still very similar?
  • I made a ton of reservations spread out on property planning on utilizing the monorail but now we’ll rely on the busses.. do the resorts share the same buss services?
  • We are in our late 20s if that matters.
Thanks again everyone

I am very grateful For the overwhelming support from the community. I was stressed at first but now I know what my options are and I have a better plan of attack.

It seems the general consensus is to switch to a resort like Riverside or POFQ.. can I ask the age old question what one is better suited for us?
  • We stayed at Riverside on our first trip so there is a nostalgic feeling there and she love the grounds
  • We do plan on spending a lot of downtime during the day too and going out at night so I do want a comfortable room and setting. Are the rooms still very similar?
  • I made a ton of reservations spread out on property planning on utilizing the monorail but now we’ll rely on the busses.. do the resorts share the same buss services?
  • We are in our late 20s if that matters.
Thanks again everyone
I’d rely on Disney transportation to and from the parks and DS, but uber or minivan to other resorts. I like the theming of POFQ better but I think that the mansions in PORS are more romantic. I’ve never stayed there though, just visited

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement! I know it can be a let down when plans that you've thought through a million times get derailed. Safe to say, no matter what you'll have an amazing trip ❤️. I will say I think renting points would be a great idea, although if you are close to your trip date the resort choices will most likely be limited. You could possibly get availability at SSR and walk to Disney Springs though......anywh any you get engaged at Disney will be incredibly romantic and special. To impart my advice, don't over extend yourself financially whatsoever at this point. My DH and I got married fairly young, now are in our mid thirties with 2 children. We spent a TON on an elaborate wedding and honeymoon. We both regret the amount, we could have taken that money and paid for half our house. Your engagement, wedding, and honeymoon are just the beginning of the most important part....the marriage. You will have so many years upcoming to stay at GF....maybe a romantic 10 year anniversary without the kids! I hope you two have an incredibly magical time, and an amazing future!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter