• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quick survey for those in the US - please help me test out an interesting theory

1- Grocery Store = 2 miles (5 minutes depending on traffic)
2 - I live in Pennsylvania
3 - Pennsylvania, my whole life.

closest is about a mile and a half-the one i shop at 5 miles
Colorado
the Rocky Mountain west-all my life.

1 - How far is the closest grocery store from your house? 5-10 minutes driving time
2 - What state do lyou live in (if you are not comfortable posting this information, you can just give the part of the county you live in) PA
3 - What state or part of the country have you lived in for most of your life? PA/NJ/NY

My DD read/heard something rather interesting and I though the DIS would be a great place to test it out. Please answer the following questions WITHOUT reading any of the responses first. This is the one time it is a GOOD thing to poast before reading all the replies. :) Once enough people have replied, I'll come back with the hypothesis and whether or not it seems to have proven correct:

1 - How far is the closest grocery store from your house?
2 - What state do lyou live in (if you are not comfortable posting this information, you can just give the part of the county you live in)
3 - What state or part of the country have you lived in for most of your life?

Thanks!

1. About 20 minutes
2. Mississippi
3. The south

1 - How far is the closest grocery store from your house? Full service grocery is 2.5 miles away.

2 - What state do you live in? Maine

3 - What state or part of the country have you lived in for most of your life? Maine, but I live 2.5 hours from where I grew up.

That explains it! LOL!! I measure my commute in minutes because I have to be there on time. However, if it's just going to the store, library, post office, etc, I don't really care how long it takes me to get there, just how far I have to drive.

Nice one!

Carly, you are close. The theory is that people from the south respond in minutes, while northerners respond in miles. We really need more responses from Southerners! Also, I thought it was interesting one poster responded both ways. BTW, I am from the south and always refer to distances in terms of time even if I have to qualify it (ie - 30 minutes with no traffic 45 minutes during rush hour).

I don't know anyone I grew up with that gives distance in miles, it's always in time.

1. Less than 1/2 mile, maybe 1 or 2 minute drive door to door. (Next closest is probably only another 1/2 mile! Maybe a 4 minute drive.)
2. NJ
3. NJ

1 - How far is the closest grocery store from your house?
2 - What state do lyou live in (if you are not comfortable posting this information, you can just give the part of the county you live in)
3 - What state or part of the country have you lived in for most of your life?

Thanks!
1. 4 blocks
2.NJ
3.NJ(suburb of NYC)

ETA: If it's not within a few blocks, I give it in time, because I am bad at figuring out how many miles there are.
If you asked me how far away the mall I go to normally is, I'd say 10 minutes.
I have no clue how many miles away it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter