Questions to ask your interviewer?

Wow. Bad interviewer questions above, IMO. Most of those are HR and negotiations questions. Not to be asked in an interview. If I were asked most of those questions as an interviewer I’d be really turned off.

Ask what they like best about the company/their favorite part of working for the company.

Ask about company culture.

Ask what attributes someone needs to succeed in the role.

Ask for clarification on job responsibilities if any are unclear.

IMO, do not ask questions about salary, benefits, etc. Most you should already know, the interviewer may not know, and are better suited for when an offer is given.

Go with the flow. Ask follow up questions during the interview if it fits and feels right.

I’m a strong interviewee. I have always had positive feedback after interviews and have usually been offered the job. Be yourself and Good luck.

I agree.

Agree with many of the above. First you sell yourself and see if this is a job offer you want. Then after a job offer is when you negotiate and discuss salary, preplanned vacations etc. Asking those questions in an interview reeks of overconfidence and arrogance. It would be as if you thought you already had the job to discuss specific details like that. It’s an instant turnoff for me.

Go in to an interview with as much research on the company and their focus as possible. Make sure you are dressed appropriately. Do not arrive more than 10 minutes ahead of your interview time and no less than 5 minutes before. Bring a pad and pen with your resume. Don’t bring a purse and briefcase with you, it looks “bulky” Just one or the other. Don’t bring your lunch with you to eat during the interview (yes that happened) don’t bring a water. Just bring the bare minimum in with you.

Decide ahead of time what you want to know. If at the end of the interview you have no questions because everything was covered don’t say you don’t have any questions if asked. Say that you had questions but they did a great job of answering them before you could even ask etc.

It’s hard to tell anybody what to ask at this stage because it depends on the job and industry. Plus a good interview is one that just flows naturally in a comfortable way so have an idea of what information you need without reading off of a list. Kwim?

I’ve actually been told by a few people that this is the wrong mindset to have. They are interviewing you, but you are also interviewing them as a company as well.

thank you, and this is what most people are missing in this thread. I am looking at this from a job seekers perspective, and yes I am interviewing the company. Most people in this thread are looking at this from an interviewers perspective, and there in lies the problem. What the jobseeker is looking for and what the interviewer is looking must align, and its obvious from the responses that in this thread, that is not the case.

If you ask questions like how much vacation time you get, what the procedure is to call off, what about all of these days that I already know I won't be here, etc. during an interview, it sounds like you are a person who either is lazy or isn't reliable and will find as many reasons as possible not to be at work. I would not expect to get that job.

I would ask questions about the job duties if they aren't clear.

thank you, and this is what most people are missing in this thread. I am looking at this from a job seekers perspective, and yes I am interviewing the company. Most people in this thread are looking at this from an interviewers perspective, and there in lies the problem. What the jobseeker is looking for and what the interviewer is looking must align, and its obvious from the responses that in this thread, that is not the case.

To a point, yes, BUT for most jobs (at least in my area) there are far more applicants than they need. If you only ask the selfish questions, you are going to be very quickly passed over in favor of someone who appears to want to WORK and is interested in the job for what they can bring to the company.

Last edited:

Interviewing the company, I agree with. Asking things like "what day do I get paid?", I do not. How does that (or many of your question) tell you if what you are looking for and what the interviewer is looking for align?

It's not the idea of learning about the company that I disagree with - I just think that most of your questions are not good, appropriate, or actually leading to learning about the company in a meaningful way.

FTR, I have never been an interviewer. But I have been an interviewee and would never ask those questions in an interview, even for an entry level or unskilled job. Selfish is all hear when I read those questions.

1. Do you contact unsuccessful applicants?
  2. When will I be contacted if I have have been chosen as the new employee?
  3. When is the start date?
  4. I need to give 4 weeks (fill in as applicable) notice to my current job so I am only available to start on X date, is that ok?
  5. I have a family get together / hospital appointment / vacation booked, so I will need time off for that, is that ok
  6. What is my vacation allowance?
  7. What is the company policy on calling in sick?
  8. What are the company benefits?
  9. Do I have to wear a uniform?
  10. What are company policy on tattoos, piercings, mens facial hair etc etc?
  11. What day are wages paid?
  12. Are wages paid weekly or monthly?
  13. How are wages paid?
  14. What is the hourly rate / yearly salary for this vacancy?
  15. Is there a company induction / basic training period?
  16. Are training days / induction days paid for or are they included in vacation allowance?
  17. Does the company provide health insurance?
  18. What is the career progression like? If I start an an entry level job, will I be eligible for in house promotions?
There are alot more, and some of the above may not apply to all job interviews

Never in a million years would I ask 2,4,5,6,7,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16 or 17 and expect to get hired. LOL!

:confused3 I can't remember the last time I heard of anyone being hired on the spot, no matter how entry-level the position. Practically everything is a multi-step process because employers want to evaluate all candidates before making decisions.

In our hiring process we specifically tell candidates at the first interview that it is a preliminary screening only and we are not prepared to answer any of the types of questions @BadPinkTink listed. Much of that information is considered privy and it's no business of anyone we don't plan to actually hire. If that's off-putting to a candidate, so be it.

We understand - I just completely disagree with you. I also think you've given very poor advice to the OP and doing what you've recommended will hinder her chances of getting the job.

@FutureDisneyEventPlanner , these ideas below are much more prudent choices for preliminary interviews. If and when an offer is made, they will certainly be willing to discuss the other matters with you, at which point it's your decision whether or not the job is the right one for you. Best of luck. :wave2:
What does it take to be successful with this company?

What are the current strengths and opportunities with my new team?
I generally didn't ask about benefits, vacation, etc. unless they offer the job. I spent more time asking about what the job entailed and my responsibilities. I program computers so specific questions vary by the job.

Last edited:
I’ve actually been told by a few people that this is the wrong mindset to have. They are interviewing you, but you are also interviewing them as a company as well.

This is the common advice that’s thrown out with no nuance. You have to consider your individual circumstances- how badly do you need a job, do you have other options, is this highly competitive job or market, is this a job I’d love- if so then you should present yourself as the most attractive applicant possible and worry about “interviewing the company” once you have an offer and are the one in the drivers seat.

Another way to think of it is that you want to be the one to turn them down, not the other way around so don’t shoot yourself in the foot by coming off as a bad candidate. If you do it won’t matter if you want to work for the company or not.

We understand - we just completely disagree with you. Many of us also think you've given very poor advice to the OP and doing what you've recommended will hinder her chances of getting the job.

Not sure that we completely disagree with her (in terms of it being a two-way street), we just disagree that the specific questions are any good.

You won't even get an interview at my place without stating your salary expectations. If they exceed what the position pays, you won't get an interview. Our managers got burned on a number of job applicants looking to "move up" to our place, only to discover their current jobs pay more.
Research the city you are moving to if the job is in a different city and check the cost of rent/homes. A number of our new hires haven't stayed because the cost of rent here is way out of wack with salaries. If you get an interview, ask workers where they live and what rent range they pay.
I work for corporation, vacation, sick leave, health care are all listed on the corporate website and are not negotiable. We are in California, so some ruled regarding vacation carry over and sick time are different than from the 40+ other locations outside California, but otherwise, everything is the same.

I've done hundreds, if not over a thousand, interviews. For me, one major turn off is questions that are very obviously being asked just for the sake of thinking the interviewee thinks they must ask a question. If you have things you are genuinely interested in about the company and/or position you're applying for, ask away...I'm happy to answer. However, if you don't have any questions that is perfectly fine too. I have never turned someone down who interviewed very well but didn't ask a question. At the end of an interview I always ask the interviewee if they have any questions for me. Plenty of people have said "No, I've researched the company (and I can tell if they have or not) and we discussed everything I'd want to know in the interview". I'm perfectly OK with that.

So my suggestion is have a list of things you'd like to know about the position and/or the company. If you cover them all in the interview and nothing else that comes up...besides asking when payday is, etc...(do NOT ask those questions), then be honest and say you don't have anything to ask because the interview covered everything.

Good luck

No, not missing a thing. Lol. I would also be interviewing the company but certainly not with the questions you propose.

No, answering from a jobseeker's perspective does not include shooting yourself in the foot. Yes, it is a two-way street but if it's a job you actually want, generally, they have the upper hand in these situations (as you said previously, there are 20 people right behind you in line). So yes, you want to be sure the JOB is a good fit, and the COMPANY is a good fit for you, for sure. But your first questions being asking about vacation and sick time and dress codes...it just comes off as a bit tone-deaf. Those things don't really tell you anything about the job and it comes off as an attitude more of "how much time do I get off and how much effort do I really have to put into this and what do I get", vs. one of "I'd like to be sure that the job is right for me as well so let's discuss how my skills and experiences and interests align with what you're looking for to see if we are a good fit." You can find out a lot of information with a little research and a little finesse in how you come across.

Not sure that we completely disagree with her (in terms of it being a two-way street), we just disagree that the specific questions are any good.
Understood. I've edited my post from plural to singular.

Interviewing the prospective employer is asking about the job, the culture, whats needed for success at the company, etc., not asking about when one gets paid, how many sick days you get, how to call out, etc. How do you not see the difference.

OP, if you already “think” you know the answer then why bother asking the DIS?

Interviewing the prospective employer is asking about the job, the culture, whats needed for success at the company, etc., not asking about when one gets paid, how many sick days you get, how to call out, etc. How do you not see the difference.

OP, if you already “think” you know the answer then why bother asking the DIS?
I think you are confusing the OP with another poster.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter