Question for those who have been on Backstage Magic - Dinner Reservations

GirlfromTN

DIS Veteran
I am trying to plan dinner reservations for our "free" nights on the Backstage Magic trip (June 2-7! yay!)

On the free night in Hollywood, about what time do you get back to the hotel after the day tours? And, can anyone tell me what time the Jimmy Kimmel show generally tapes and how long it lasts (in case we go to that). I might want to go to a restaurant in L.A. but if we don't have much time we'll just go somewhere close to the hotel in Hollywood.

On the free night at Disneyland, what time does the tour generally end? Is it right after the parade viewing? I think we're going to eat at Napa Rose that night and I am not sure what time to make the Priority Seating.

Thanks in advance!

We ate at Twist in the hotel (which was really good and almost completely empty) and had 7:00 reservations and we ate at the Napa Rose at the 5:30 seating because we had Mickey's Halloween tickets -- and we had no problem making either reservation.

On your free Hollywood night , if you are going to see Kimmel Live , you
have to be there early...I would not plan on going far from the hotel.
We ate at the California Pizza Kitchen at the Highlands . So did 60 % of our group.
Remember these are long and exhausting days.

In Disneyland we at the Blue Bajou and had no problem getting a reservation.
We made them the day reservations opened for that date. Our tour ended
after the parade , but we had an option of meeting the guides and the group for a viewing of fantasmic is a special section reserved for VIPs.

Have a blast.

Here is my blog you can read;
sailingbeagle.blogspot.com

On the free night in Hollywood, about what time do you get back to the hotel after the day tours? And, can anyone tell me what time the Jimmy Kimmel show generally tapes and how long it lasts (in case we go to that). I might want to go to a restaurant in L.A. but if we don't have much time we'll just go somewhere close to the hotel in Hollywood.

On the free night at Disneyland, what time does the tour generally end? Is it right after the parade viewing? I think we're going to eat at Napa Rose that night and I am not sure what time to make the Priority Seating.

Thanks in advance!

My tour was April, 2008 and this was my experience:

Hollywood/Jimmy Kimmel: We were back at the hotel around 4:45/5pm. We had to meet in front of Jimmy Kimmels place and were let in around 5:30. We stood in the hallway until about 6pm (watching some funny show flicks). There is some pre-show fun. Around 7pm Jimmy does his promo for who is on the show and then the show begins. It was about an hour, I think? It seemed about as long as his show including the time for commercials. Last year/April, he had the concerts outside. We were not interested in the band so we went to CA Pizza Kitchen to eat. It is right next to the hotel. Like Sailing Beagle sez...you are constantly on the go and you really do want to rest up. I was surprised as to how tired we were. But, its a GREAT tired! Awesome!!!

Disneyland/Fri Night: We watched the afternoon parade and then had free-time until Fantasmic. We were told to met up at Frontierland at 8pm (in April) and then they walked us to the best spot ever to watch Fantasmic. After that, we have lots of fastpasses to go have fun.

Are you getting exciting? You will have sooo much fun!

(Hi Sailing Beagle! Hope you are doing extra special well!!!)

Thanks so much for the advice! I am thinking we won't have time to go far on the night in Hollywood, if we get to go to Jimmy Kimmel (which I really hope we do!) I have been to the Conan late show taping (in NYC) but my fiance has never been to a live show taping and I think he'd really enjoy it. He had big ideas to go somewhere nice in LA (by taking a cab) but I just really don't think we'll have time. Sounds like a good excuse for another trip sometime in the future. We have a CPK here at home though so I was thinking about trying the burger restaurant in the Roosevelt Hotel....that was on someone's trip report but I can't remember which!

As for DL, my fiance really really wants to try Napa Rose. I am just afraid we won't have time for it; we've never been to DL before and we're not staying any extra days, so I don't really want to take time out of the parks for a long dinner. We've been to California Grill at WDW twice, and lots of the other signature restaurants at WDW. Anybody think its worth it to go to Napa Rose? Is it really that good? I would be happy just snacking around the parks (it will also be during F&W festival, or maybe going to Blue Bayou or something.

And yes I am so excited I cannot wait! We got our backpacks 2 days ago and I have already started packing my suitcase :)

Napa Rose has a lounge area where you can order drinks and appetizers. This is a great option if you want to dine there but don't want to be tied into a long dinner.

Napa Rose has a lounge area where you can order drinks and appetizers. This is a great option if you want to dine there but don't want to be tied into a long dinner.

Good idea-thanks! Can you order anything from the menu in the lounge area, or do you have to stick to the lounge/bar menu?

I am not sure if you can order off the full menu it never hurts to ask but if you are going to order an entree why not sit in the regular part of the restaurant?

Sorry to highjack this thread but what would you do with a 1/2 day in the area. We are arriving late the night before the adventure begins and don't have to meet up with the group until 4pm the next day. What would you do with two teens, DS & DD, for a few hours.

I don't know if we will rent a car or heard over to the Rennaissance earlier in the day to check in and leave our luggage with them.

Sorry to highjack this thread but what would you do with a 1/2 day in the area. We are arriving late the night before the adventure begins and don't have to meet up with the group until 4pm the next day. What would you do with two teens, DS & DD, for a few hours.

I don't know if we will rent a car or heard over to the Rennaissance earlier in the day to check in and leave our luggage with them.

We wandered around the area, Grauman's, Walk of Fame and there is the wax museum right there and of course the Soda Shoppe and you could see a movie at the El Capitan. There are also a million guys trying to sell tours, but I don't know about them..I'm sure there's some reputable ones. Plus the hotel is right at the Kodak and they do offer tours, but I don't know the details, plus you are at the mall, tons of shops, so you could look around there. Plenty to do!

You can take the subway to Universal Studios. It's only one stop away and then take the shuttle up to the park. That's what my DH and I did in November. By 2PM we had done what we wanted to came back to the Hotel and got ready for the adventure to begin. Have fun

Does Backstage Magic give you Park Hopper passes to get into California Adventure, also? Because Napa Rose is over there, not in Disneyland.

Sayhello

Does Backstage Magic give you Park Hopper passes to get into California Adventure, also? Because Napa Rose is over there, not in Disneyland.

Sayhello

Actually Napa Rose is in the Grand Californian Hotel.

I have a suggestion, there is one night the parks close early because of Grad night, I think it is June 4, See what the latest seating time they have is maybe 830 pm then you would be able to eat there and not feel like you gave up park time.

My bad. I was thinking of a restaurant we ate at when I was there 3 years ago. I don't see it listed on the website... I wonder if it closed? It was a nice little restaurant...

Sayhello

I have a suggestion, there is one night the parks close early because of Grad night, I think it is June 4, See what the latest seating time they have is maybe 830 pm then you would be able to eat there and not feel like you gave up park time.

If Thursday is your first night in Disneyland, ABD usually plans a welcome dinner for that first night there. Our first stop was for drinks and then went upstairs to Hooks Pointe.

If Thursday is your first night in Disneyland, ABD usually plans a welcome dinner for that first night there. Our first stop was for drinks and then went upstairs to Hooks Pointe.

I guess that won't work for her because that is the first night in DL

My bad. I was thinking of a restaurant we ate at when I was there 3 years ago. I don't see it listed on the website... I wonder if it closed? It was a nice little restaurant...

Sayhello

You're thinking of Vineyard Room (upstairs over by Wine Country Trattoria. Sadly, that restaurant did close last year.

You're thinking of Vineyard Room (upstairs over by Wine Country Trattoria. Sadly, that restaurant did close last year.
Thanks! I was beginning to question my memory...

It *was* a nice place. That's sad it's closed.

Sayhello

It was me that went to the burger restaurant 25 degrees in the Roosevelt. It was really good & you shouldn't need a reservation-we just walked in & it's a really cool hotel to check out anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter