• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question for Those of You Who Have Been or Are Pregnant...

scanne

<font color=blue>OK, I must have really small ears
I'm going into my 9th month (and hoping to deliver before week 40!) and I have some questions.

1. Have any of you successfully started labor on your own? If so, how?

2. When the baby 'drops,' does that mean you're close to labor starting?

3. Did any of you have a pregnancy tumor in your mouth? (It's a rare symptom and of course, I have it!)

4. Did any of you have a really hard pregnancy but an easy delivery?

I'm on bed rest for pre-term labor, but I've had only 2 contractions in the past 48 hours so I'm not that worried about going into labor any time soon. I also have gestational diabetes, so it's not like I can sit on my sofa and watch Disney movies while I eat ice cream and chocolate! I feel like I've been dealt the worst hand with this (my first) pregnancy. On the bright side, it hasn't stopped me from wanting a second child. Any thoughts or suggestions to help make these last few weeks more bearable?? I'd LOVE to go early. And considering that I'm measuring 40 weeks and I'm 34 1/2 weeks could mean that I will. Also the doctors think my baby is 6 pounds already. I keep saying "BRING IT ON! I WANT THIS KID OUT OF ME NOW!"

My first pregnancy was twins. I was on bedrest, and delivered early - too early 31 weeks. My labor was quick. So quick the resident, who had never delivered twins, was talking with the doctor on his car phone, while I was on the table ready to deliver. I know it's tough, but believe me, hang on past that 36 week mark. Just because the baby may be big, doesn't mean his lungs are ready.

My second pregnancy I delivered a week early. I really wanted to go even earlier than that. The morning my DD was born I was not dialated, nor had she dropped. After my OB appointment my DH and I walked the two miles of the local mall. I went home, took a nap, and woke up in early labor. She was born 9 hours later weighing in at 9lbs5oz. Thank goodness I didn't go the extra week! Labor and delivery were "easy". I only pushed for 30 minutes.

The last few weeks are the longest, especially when you're on bedrest. But remember, you ultimate goal is a healty baby so listen the the advice of you OB.

Best of luck!

My first two kids were both late (5 days and 9 days) and my third was induced 3 weeks early because we were both having some medical issues. Trust me, as hard as it is to endure those last weeks of pregnancy, most likely your baby will only benefit from staying in there as long as possible. DD was not THAT early -- not even officially a premie, especially since she weighed 7 pounds, but she still had some problems that may have related to being early. I was very glad to have her born (and she really had to be because of our medical problems) but in retrospect, now I don't even REMEMBER those last few weeks with the first two. It's hard now, I know, but you can endure!

BTW, I was on bedrest for preterm labor from 30-36 weeks with my first, and he went 5 days late.

You definitely don't want the baby to be born just yet. Each day longer that he's in the womb gives him a better chance of coming into this world healthy and breathing on his own. Artificially inducing labor on your own isn't the best of ideas- the baby will come when he's ready. The fact that the baby has dropped/is dropping doesn't necessarily mean that labor is just around the corner- in first time moms, babies usually drop much more quickly than moms who have already given birth to a child. No, I've never had a pregnancy tumor, nor have I heard of it, but I hope it's not painful! And I've had easy pregnancies and hard deliveries.

DS was born 4 days after his due date. Was in latent labor for one week, and active labor for 15 hours. He was sunny-side up and after 2 hours of pushing, they applied the vacuum extraction to his head and literally yanked him out of me. It turns out that his shoulder was caught behind my pelvic bone and that's why he wasn't coming out. He was born hypovolemic (in shock and not breathing) and with severe shoulder dystocia. No long-term damage, thank God! And I had to have a 4th degree episiotomy to get him out (yup- it's the worst one you can get). The doctors and nurses (about 9 total were in my room within minutes, due to him being stuck) were just seconds away from having to break my pelvic bone in order to get him out. No, this isn't a joke or exaggerated one bit, and yes, he was born in an Army hospital, LOL! :eek:

DD's labor was much, much easier than DS's. She was born 11 days after her due date. Mind you, I went into preterm labor at 33? weeks and had to have terbutaline shots to stop my contractions, but she still wound up being born late! All was going well until I stopped dilating at 9 cm. If you ask me, the doctor did not give enough time to let my epidural start working again- the epidural catheter literally fell out of my back when I was 9 cm and in transition, and my body was fighting the pain/contractions tooth and nail. But 2 hours had gone by and I was still 9 cm, so they gave me a C Section. My DD was sunny side up, as well- another reason she had problems descending down the birth canal.

And by the way- I'd take the vag. childbirth ANY DAY over the C Section- even with the 4th degree episiotomy!

Good luck!

I definitely agree with the others, the longer you carry your baby the healthier he will be. I know the last few weeks of waiting are the hardest. Try to rest as much as you can now, once your baby arrives you will have very little sleep. I don't think I would try to start labor on your own, especially at this point, maybe when it gets closer to your due date take some walks, that usually helps to get things going. Regarding the baby dropping, I think it is different for everyone, my son had dropped about 3 weeks before he was born! I haven't heard anything about the pregnancy tumor.

I was lucky and had a very easy pregnancy, the delivery was another story. I ended up going 9 days past my due date. A friend of my Mom's told her to take me for a walk, so we went shopping one evening and the next morning I felt some cramps and that night I went into labor (I was scheduled to be induced in the morning). (So if it gets closer to your due date and nothing is happening, go for a walk) I get to the hospital and everything had stopped, so I was induced but the pitocin (sp?) was making the baby's heart rate go all over the place, they stop it and I stop dilating. Oh, almost forgot, the first epidural didn't take, the pain was worse, so they took it out, and tried again, they had problems getting the second one in, so they took that one out and the third time was a charm (highly recommend getting an epidural, you feel no pain). Still nothing, so they give me more pitocin and I start having really bad reflux, it felt as if my throat was on fire, then I started vomitting. I'll never forget this, at that point my doctor put her hand on my leg and said "you are going to have your baby right now, I'll see you in the operating room" that was at 9:00pm and my son, all 8lbs 9oz of him, was born at 9:20pm. So after 20 hours of labor I ended up with a C-Section. My son was also born sunny-side up. He had gotten his head wedged in and couldn't get out. He was in distress so the neo-natal unit took him right away, I didn't get to see him for a good 20 minutes after he was born. (My husband got to see him, hold him and feed him before me, which at the time made me jealous but I guess God did that for a reason, my husband past away when my son was six months old.) Then after all that, when the intern was taking the staples out of the incision, she broke one, that night at home I wake-up to find out the incision is splitting open, back to the hospital, can't stitch since the skin is so tender, so I end up with visiting nurses coming to the house twice a day to clean and pack the incision, this went on for 2 weeks!

Sorry, I guess I got carried away here, it's amazing how we mothers love to tell our delivery stories! (I hope you have a good story to tell us).

Anyway, hang in there, just think in a month and half you will be holding your precious little boy in your arms and it will make the past nine months worth the wait. Again listen to your doctor and get plenty of rest. Good luck, keep us posted on how you are doing.

I tried just about everything I heard - and more - when my first didn't arrive on schedule. I walked miles, I ate spicy food (even though I hate it), I even started Cheerleading practices and showed the girls some jumps! No results - she was induced 10 days late and weighed 8 lbs, 14 oz - yikes! When my son came due, I fought with the doctor to have induction only 3 days afterward. He was 8.5 lbs. BTW, I weighed 4 lbs, 3 oz at birth and now weigh 115. I can't believe the size of my children!

Unfortunately, not necessarily. I dropped with my son over a month before he was due. My doctor said that was a good sign that he'd be born early, so I started my maternity leave early to avoid a preterm birth.

3. Did any of you have a pregnancy tumor in your mouth? (It's a rare symptom and of course, I have it!)

No

My pregnancies were blessedly uneventful. Daughter: 10.5 hours of pitocin and stadol (a wonderful drug that kept me alert but relaxed); son: not even 2 hours after the doctor broke my water - no time for any medicinal help, and an easier delivery than my daughter. The hardest thing was NOT pushing, because the doctor wasn't there, and there's some stupid state law that says a doctor must be present to record the birth. They finally pulled a doctor from the hallway just as my son emerged.

I know of people who did have really difficult pregnancies but sailed through labor and childbirth just fine. If you have been having problems, I'm sure the doctors will monitor you closely to ensure a safe delivery. I can understand your impatience - you want to see this child, as well as get your own body back. Try to relax, take a few extra naps (you'll think longingly of this later), and take care. Let us know how you do!!

Lori

Originally posted by MNT568
So after 20 hours of labor I ended up with a C-Section. My son was also born sunny-side up. He had gotten his head wedged in and couldn't get out. He was in distress so the neo-natal unit took him right away, I didn't get to see him for a good 20 minutes after he was born. (My husband got to see him, hold him and feed him before me, which at the time made me jealous but I guess God did that for a reason, my husband past away when my son was six months old.) Then after all that, when the intern was taking the staples out of the incision, she broke one, that night at home I wake-up to find out the incision is splitting open, back to the hospital, can't stitch since the skin is so tender, so I end up with visiting nurses coming to the house twice a day to clean and pack the incision, this went on for 2 weeks!

Sorry, I guess I got carried away here, it's amazing how we mothers love to tell our delivery stories! (I hope you have a good story to tell us).

{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}} to you. I am so sorry to hear about your DH's passing on!

And YIKES about those staples!! I specifically requested that the OB give me dissolvable stitches instead of staples, and he did!! Thank goodness I'd just been talking about that with my SIL the week before I had DD- her best friend had to have c-sections with her babies and said that the stitches were much better- less chance of infection, no having to remove them, and a smaller scar (not like anyone's ever gonna see my scar but DH and me, LOL!) So if you ever have any more children and elect a repeat C Section, ask for the dissolving stitches!! :) :)

I agree with you, too, MNT568- we mothers really DO enjoy telling our birth stories!! I hope I didn't scare you with mine, OP!! Keep us posted with the details of the rest of your pregnancy and labor & delivery!! :jester:

I know how you feel! At some point around 33 weeks you don't care how the baby comes out, you'ds be willing to blow it out your nose if it would work!:D
I had the opposite problem. My kids didn't want to come out! My 1st pregnancy was with twins. On my due date I hadn't started to dilate or efface but I was HUGE so I had a c-section the next day without ever having a contraction. My babies weighed 8lbs 2oz each.
My second pregnancy was with my DS. He wasn't in any hurry to be born either. I was 2 weeks late and spent 2 days on pitosin (sp?) before he decided to make an appearance. I will however say that I really didn't think labor was as bad as I had been told. Basically every woman I met during my preganancies thought I'd be thrilled to hear their horror stories. I now make a point of telling women that labor wasn't as bad as people say!
Good luck with the remainder of your pregnancy. Hopefully you enjoy reading because that's a great was to pass time. I could reccommend alot of great books.

It's not always true that the 1st pregnancy is always late. I was just sailing through my day not even totally prepared for my baby girl when my water broke 4 weeks before my due date! It broke at work, I was a hit at the office that day! My husband had to run out and buy a carseat while I was in the hospital.

So when my 2nd pregnancy rolled around I was so sure that my baby would be born early that when my 36th week came and went I couldn't beleive it! How some women make it past 40 weeks and stay sane is beyond me! I told my DR that my plan was to make him so miserable that he would induce me just to get rid of me. He laughed really hard at that one.

I know what you are going through, that 2nd pregnancy was HARD and I was in terrible pain. Every day seemed to last a year. But hang in there, every day that goes by is more time for your little boy to grow and mature. Don't try to move him out till he is ready. Of course after 40 weeks it's a different story! A placenta doesn't last forever!

By the way, my second baby was born 3 weeks early. And while the first baby was an easier pregnancy, the second baby was the easier baby (sleeping through the night, nursing, you'll see) So it's funny how things even out in the end. And I wouldn't trade either of them for anything! They really are blessings from above! And when you look back at your life, pregancy is such a short period of time.

HANG IN THERE!!!

I was in YOUR shoes. It sounds just like my first pregnancy. I had gestational diabetes, ending up on bed rest for the last 2 months because she was coming early. They measured me the same- she was about 9 lbs. by my due date. I was scared to death of having a big baby. Well, when my due date arrived, she was not wanting to come out at all. I tried raspberry tea, eating a Big Mac, walking until my legs started to fall off, everything!!!!! My doctor decided, when I was 14 days late, that it was time for induction. I was already 2 cm and 50% effaced- had been for over a month. Any pain, I knew was a contraction.
My labor, although seemed difficult, was really wonderful. 21 hours, 3 epidurals, and an hour of pushing- I had my beautiful daughter weighing only 7 POUNDS. Had she came on my due date, she would have been a preemie! So, I believe that the baby will let you know when they are ready to show up. Let the baby bake as long as it can. Don't rush it! It is such a great feeling to be pregnant- one that I have longed for for so long now. I am finally 8 weeks pg after trying over a year for our second. You will miss those little kicks and moves. It is a feeling only you will be able to experience. Enjoy your time!!!

DW of Ratpack

As a mother of three, I'm telling you "DONT RUSH IT". I know that bed rest sucks but try to enjoy it. You will be attached to another human being for at least the next 18 years and trust me when I tell you that your needs will be second on the list. I remember after my first son's birth, what a joy my first trip to Kmart alone was.

Find things that you enjoy doing and do them. Make lists of what your hobbies are or things that you wanted to do. Make other people wait on you - tell your husband to pick you up a gallon of no sugar ice cream and eat it from the carton. Rent movies and enjoy them. Take a nice long bath. Pamper yourself and don't feel guilty.

Take the time to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet. It will all end soon enough.

I'm an R.N. at our city OB hospital and I work in the high risk ante-partum unit. I see the worst cases around believe me. As everyone says don't rush it. The baby will come when its ready and as alot of people have stated just because he's big doesn't mean he's healthy. The lungs develop in the last month. Did you have betamethasone injections for the lungs when you went into pre-term labor? Did they put you on meds to stop your contractions or are you just on bedrest? There are alot of factors to consider, not just the size of the baby. I was also a gestational diabetic while pregnant with my DS. I thought it was horrible, then I started working on the high risk unit. Believe me, diabetes and a few weeks of bed rest isn't so bad. Good Luck!

I had bedrest for preterm labor with 2 of my babies, but I thought that since I don't dialate and labor fails to progress the babies wouldn't be early. Wrong! My doctor even said I showed no sign of labor starting other than contractions. I ended up with 3 emergency C-sections because the most I've dialated to was a 2. One of my babies was 3-6 wks early, but they said he was full term and decided it must have been 3 wks. However, he was diagnosed with asthma before he was 1. The doctor and we thought he'd grown out of it, but at 7 he had to go back on meds. I look back and wonder if I could've been better about my bed rest even though I had a 2 yr. old at home. Follow those doctor's orders even if you think it's unneccesary. Take advantage of your quiet time, I know you're going stir-crazy, and read. There is so much you can do, including getting plenty of rest. You'll soon be fantasizing about sleeping more than 3 hrs. at a time. Congratulations, and I hope you have a smooth delivery. Even though your pregnancy is hard you could still have an easy delivery.

Originally posted by scanne
I'm going into my 9th month (and hoping to deliver before week 40!) and I have some questions.

Black and Blue Cohosh works quite well. It can bring on strong contractions though, so take it in the homeopathic remedies rather than the herbal remedy (which is really better for menopausal women)

Not always. Some women don't "drop" until right before transition whereas other women will drop a week or so before hand

Nope and in fact I have never heard of it (odd since I'm studying to be a midwife!)

Sorry I had a c/s with all three of my kiddos. (All scheduled for different reasons unfortunately) However, how a woman's delivery is rarely has anything to do with how her pregnancy went. The two are rarely related. The only time it would effect delivery is if there were something actually wrong with the uterus.

Don't be too impatient to hold your baby. And doctors have been known to be very wrong as far as a baby's weight is concerned. I was told that my middle child weighed close to 8 lbs and she only weighed 6# 5oz. My son was also supposed to weigh around 8 lbs and he was 10# 2 oz!!!

:earsgirl:

Boy do I feel for you. I was on bedrest for over 2 months for toxemia. I was so bored. At one point it looked like it was getting really bad and they were thinking about early induction- worst thing they ever could have said. I fantasized about it. Ryan would ask about it first thing when we walked into the office. However the bed rest worked to keep things under control and they even let me go past my due date. On my due date of July 7th I went to go see the fireworks. I walked up a huge hill to get there instead of being driven. When I got to where my family was sitting, they were right near the ambulance, and sitting behind us was the founding dr of the obgyn group I go to. Too perfect- nothing happened. Ten days later my daughter was born. I got induced and started contractions around 5 pm on Monday, went through the night and all the next day , back labor the whole time and DD was born at 9:31 on Tuesday night. The epidural was the best thing I ever did. I tried the whirlpool tub and hated it (afterwards I wanted to go in!!!!). My progress was stunted around 4 cm. For hours it was 4 cm. I got that epidural and I finally relaxed and about less than an hour later- 10 cm. At that point I wanted to enjoy it and relax but they said Nope, time to push. I have no clue how long I pushed for, all I remember is being hungry and thirty and my uncle brought up a footlong sub for Ryan and all the nurses were having milkshakes from Friendly's. I was so angry- I just wanted some water, LOL. But DD finally came and that was a year ago this past Wednesday, don't rush it too much, it has gone by way too fast!!! Good luck to you!!!

Thanks for the replies thus far.

I am now 35 weeks and 2 days and was told that if I go into labor anytime after Saturday, they would just let it happen and not try to stop it. My baby has dropped and I think his head is engaged because I have tremendous pressure in my pelvis. I lost a lot of my 'plug' last night and some this morning, so I'm hoping that labor is coming. But I haven't done anything to try to bring it on. Just a lot of praying and hoping!

I'll let you know when Chase is born........hopefully it will be soon!

I was also on bed rest for toxemia. I also had pretty bad morning sickness my whole pregnancy. Makes it hard to stay laying down when you have to get up to throw up every time you eat or drink anything. I remember crying because I didn't want to eat anymore. I had to eat small meals every half hour to try to keep my tummy calm.

I was hospitalized for the weekend at 33 weeks and was on bed rest for 4 weeks before being induced at 37 weeks (I recieved the betamethasone injections at 33 weeks).

Pitocin is NOT my friend, I was having back labor and with the pitocin I basically had one long contraction for about 2 hours. I opted for the epidural. When you get an epidural your blood pressure goes down and when you've had high blood pressure (like with toxemia) it can drop severely. My friend told me the top number went down to 90 or so. Which also makes you very nauseated. So major distress for me and baby. They finally got it all stable and the pain was mostly gone but came back a couple hours later so they had to up my epidural dosage. Practically my whole body was numb. My friend teases me that I kept saying, "I can't feel my boobs."

After about 12 hours of labor (exhausting, especially after you've been on bed rest and your muscles are all atrophied) I had a c-section because I was stuck at about 9 centimeters.

I started to cry but it was only out of relief. I was so glad to have that baby out of me. He was a healthy 6 lb 11 oz baby. No lung problems but did have a minor heart murmur that corrected itself by the time he was a year old.

Now he's a healthy HUGE 40 lb 41 inches tall 3 year old.

Good luck, darlin'. Everything will be ok.

My first pregnancy and delivery was VERY easy. No problems throughout the pregnancy and delivered the baby 45 minutes after I got to the hospital. Impossible you say? Well, not really. I was dialated 5cm for almost 2 weeks without having even one single contraction! When I went to the hospital I was dialated 8cm and they broke my water and I immediatly went to 10cm. I did have a little help though. Since everything happened so fast it put DD under a lot of stress and her heart rate dropped so they had to use the vaccume thingy to help her out.

Second pregnancy wasn't as great, and I just knew since I wasn't in labor that long with the first that I was going to be making up for it with this one. I had killer heartburn for the last three months of my pregnancy...the kind that was constant 24/7 kind of burning. This time I was induced (had a different dr.). We planed it a week before the due date (I love my dr.) and everything went perfectly! They started the induction at 7am and DS was born at 10:05am. And much to my surprise, he had NO HAIR! Everyone said all my heartburn meant that my baby was going to have a lot of hair. Well, I've never seen a baby as bald as mine!

Also, I went through both labor and deliveries without the help of an epidural or any other kind of pain killer...although I remember asking for a tylenol with DD. They told me there was no time, not even for a tylenol.

Trust me, it's all worth it to go through though. And after its all over, you'll have your very own pregnancy story to tell :)

scanne--

With my first , I lost the mucus plug about 1 day before I actually delivered.

I have to say you all will probably hate me. Both my pregnancies have been uneventful. No bedrest, no morning sickness - just a lot of post pregnancy weight that is still here! I only had 1 food aversion for each child - with my son, I couoldn't eat bagels and with my daughter, nothing Taco Bell. Weird, I know.

I was 4 days early with my son and 3 days late with my daughter. I pushed like 2 times for each of them. Came into the hospital dilated at a 6 with my son and an 8 with my daughter. Too far along for any drugs.

I felt the first contraction with my son around 10:30pm and he was born at 1:40am. With my daughter, felt the first contraction about 815am and she was born at 10:34am. Thank goodness I made it to the hospital in time.

With my daughter, that darn water would not break, apparently the nurse said I was pushing it out. The 1st year resident wasn't authorized to pop the bag and had to wait for the 2nd year resident because my doctor was en route. Doc never made the delivery.

Ahhhh, the memories!!

scanne, I hope that you have a healthy child. That is my greatest wish for any woman about to give birth. Good luck, no matter how or when this event happens for you (good/bad experience), it will be well worth it to have a wonderful new life, in your life. But I hope he cooks a little longer because my 35 week child at 5 lbs 2 oz had some troubles that are all thankfully resolved now. by the way, they estimated her weight one week before she was delivered at 7 lbs 6 oz and said she would be fine. Well, they were wrong!! Ultrasound is not an exact science, especially 5 years ago. lol alls well, that ends well

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter