Question for Moms with ADD kids?

Terry S

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
My daughter was recently diagnosed with ADD . The doctor has suggested that we give her a "vacation" from her meds during the summer, school holidays and vacations. I was thinking that it would benefit her to be on the meds during vacation because of all the waiting in lines which she has always have difficultly with. I think the plane ride might be a bit more pleasureable as well. What do all the other moms here with ADD kids do? Thanks in advance for you answers.

I usually give my DS a break, for two reasons: appetite and growth. My DS is very thin, and the meds affect his appetite, so we forgo them whenever possible. There is also the concern that the meds might affect their growth, so taking them off it allows them time to catch up.
We use the 8 hour long lasting version, and do occasionally give the shorter acting (4 hr) pill for things like plane rides. The nice thing about these meds is that you don't have to wait days for them to "build up" to work, they work immediately (after about 20 mins.). So it's easy to experiment with what works for you. Try one day without the meds in the park, see how it goes. Then try the next with the meds. Or, if you have the shorter acting meds, try the first hours without it, then try it using the meds. Good luck!!

My son is nine (almost 10) and we give him a lot of choices when it comes to his Concerta. School days are a given, but since it is an 8-10 hour acting med, we let him decide on the weekend. If we know we are doing something that will need a little more control and foucs, we tell him and let him choose. Sometimes, I get irritated when he is out of control, but feel he deserves this chance as his other medication it non-negoitable. Again, summer will be the same, on camp days, he will be strongly encouraged, and weekends are up to him. He usually opts to not take it on weekends.

My DS (14) takes Concerta for ADD. He often doesn't take it if he is home all day (Weekend/summer). Our doctor also wants him to take a break from it when possible. But there is NO WAY I'll allow him to not take it if we are going anywhere - especially somewhere like WDW!! As my husband says, he "get's stuck on stupid."

So, if were me, even if he was taking a break from the meds over the summer, I'd have him take it on vacation.

LisB

LisaBi said:
My DS (14) takes Concerta for ADD. He often doesn't take it if he is home all day (Weekend/summer). Our doctor also wants him to take a break from it when possible. But there is NO WAY I'll allow him to not take it if we are going anywhere - especially somewhere like WDW!! As my husband says, he "get's stuck on stupid."

So, if were me, even if he was taking a break from the meds over the summer, I'd have him take it on vacation.

LisB

I agree with LisaBi. There is no way I would give my son a break while at WDW because he would be WILD. But you know your child best - a break might not be as hard for your child. If you try it one day and it is too much, give the meds the next day.

Thanks for the replys everyone! My daughter is on Adderall XR. She actually likes taking her meds because she likes being focused (she also really likes her teachers praises recently) so I won't have to argue with her about taking it or anything. I was just worried that her system would need the vacation from meds. I think I will take the meds and play it by ear.

My son was severely ADHD. We never took him off his meds. In fact at 19 he now takes Wellbutrin which in addition to being an antidepressant also controls ADD. He's grown out of the hyperactivity part of it.

BTW--He was a little behind some of his friends in growth, but eventually caught up--he's 6' tall now!

Anne

my son 6 is on it and we took him off it after day 1 at wdw he seemed much more fun and excited off then on we left him off till 1st day of school when we got home

only had 1 day were he tanrumed and it was beacuse a toy we got him we had shiped to the room and he wanted it after 2 hours of on and off crying and yelling i gave in actually after he stoped and a nice cm at the store tracked it down at the fron gate pickup and we got it for him

otherwise he did fine off the meds and was scared off the dark rides all trip but still did them and didnt cry

scott

My DS6 is ADHD and without meds can be difficult for everyone. This past Saturday we gave him a break (has had B-day parties last couple of weekends and church on Sundays). He was extrememly rough with little brother3 and said things he generally wouldn't to DH. I have been very unsure about to take or not to take, especially since he is already going to be wired about being in WDW. I am going to give it to him the first day and we will take day by day.
Good luck and post how you did.

Thereis NO WAYIwould go 1 day without ds Adderall. When we were at WDW last summer the meds wore off around 7PM and we had to leave shortly after that.

DD7 was diagnosed at age 3 with "severe and profound" ADHD. She has never been on medication. We were very worried about WDW but simply did what we do at home, ie. monitor diet closely, stick to routine, lots of sleep, and a ton of Yoga and deep breathing excercies. Renting a WDW stroller really helped. If she got too wound up/excited, we simply asked her to hang out in the stroller and read, blow bubbles, play hand held games etc. Without the stroller, I could envision a ton of hyperactivity, meltdowns etc. But for us, the stroller made the difference.
We do give DD7 a kids mulitvitamin/mineral that also contains a lot of calcium/magnesium. These minerals are supposed to be very calming to the bodies nervous system. I don't know if it is working or not, but she seems to be able to fall asleep easier at night.
Suzy V.

My DS is almost 6. He was diagonosed ADHD back in Oct. (tho' I've known for years...I'm ADHD, too, and I knew...took me awhile to convince others...*sigh*) He's on Adderal XR, and life is much calmer w/ it. The time before last when we went we forgot the medicine at home and he did fine. Last month we remembered the meds and he did fine. He's a little easier to deal w/ while on meds but he gets so excited at WDW that sometimes it seems the meds don't work. (We just got him a new Peds. Doc who is an adult w/ ADHD himself and hopefully soon we'll figure out the right dosage for the lad.)
Anyways, I'd rather have him on the meds at WDW. It does help him enjoy it more. W/out the meds it's nigh impossible to get him on rides, he doesn't want to go, can't stand the lines and so on...
I also have a DS (3 1/2 yrs.) with ASD so it's a challenge keeping track of his needs and to have to deal with the older ADHD child having issues too. *Sigh*

Sara

First off, WDW is overstimulating for everyone, much less an ADHD child. Every child is different, how their meds change/don't change them is different etc. Take into account all of those factors, and the fact that she likes being on the meds because she is more focused etc.

I have two boys, profoundly ADHD, who have been to WDW the last 4 years. One is now 9 and the other is 6. It was a much more enjoyable vacation for them after they each started their meds, because they were more focused and in control. They listen to me a little better and a little more closely, resulting in fewer tantrums for either of us.

Even if you are on a long vacation, there is still plenty of time to give them a rest from the meds if you want to give them a break. I also agree that if you aren't sure, try a day and see what happens.

Good luck, and have a great trip!

We dont' take a break from meds, but we do switch from time released to straight doses (concerta to methlyphendiate) during the summer. So that way at least they are getting a small dose everyday and their bodies do not have to readjust when we go back on the Concerta.

I have ADD. I take Ritalin every 3.5 - 4 hours (if I remember it - one of the downsides of incipient old age) because I feel so much calmer - I enjoy life a lot more when medicated. Otherwise my mind is racing and the extra stim of crowds and colors and noise and lights just exacerbates the effect.

My son has ADHD and Generalized anxiety disorder.... he takes Adderall and Paxil daily. No way would I take him off either. First of all when he's off his Adderall- our house is a war zone. Nobody can stand him and more importantly he can't stand himself. He said his mind feels like it's "going really fast" in his words. We actually took our first WDW trip before he was diagnosed and although we had a great trip- there were MANY moments spent dealing with a "Jack Tantrum" which wasn't fun for any of us. Looking forward to the upcoming trip and less of those tantrums!

mom of 3 boys with ADHA- oldest son (19) just dx. after years of trying to get his problems taken care of. A whole different subject. My other 2 sons DON"T like the feeling they get when there off there meds. Middle son also has mild Touretts so that isn't even a choice for him.
I also wanted to say how nice it is to have a thread about ADD/ADHA and not have OTHER people knock us down for having kids on meds. It is so EASY to point fingers when you don't really have to DEAL with your life at home.

SO lots of HUGS to all you moms.

Well, my daughter is ADD with some tendencies to hyperactivity at times. We tried taking her off Ritalin during the school year because her side effects were so bad. The third nine weeks of school didn't go very well and we ended up back on the Ritalin through testing. This week is state mandated testing and tomorrow will be her last day on meds. We don't give her the Ritalin over school breaks and definitely not at WDW. My situation seems to be different though because she is primarily ADD and her side effects from the Ritalin are just awful. (By the way, whe have tried Adderall, Strattera, and Ritalin.)

ugadog99,
I'm so sorry to hear about the poor experience that your daughter has experienced from the medication.
If you don't mind my asking, would you mind sharing the side effects your daughter experienced from the medications? DD8 has severe/profound ADHD (was diagnosed at age 3) and so far has not been on any meds.

Thank you,
Suzy V.

I have two children, DS (14) ADHD, BP among many, many other dx. and DD (16) ADD, BP. I would never ever take them off meds. My DS has been a few hours late on getting a dose and it is horrible. His body metabolizes meds so differently that he needs very high doses (all meds he takes) to begin with. I can tell within 1 hour if they have missed their meds...not good. My DS, was also very short and small for the longest time. We didn't think he's ever grow or get bigger. Well, within the past year he has gained 30 some pounds (not heavy) and has grown several inches. He's still somewhat on the shorter side, but he's not going to be a very tall person anyhow. I think it eventually evens out.

Good Luck with whatever you decide :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter