Question about wearing rashguard shirts.

I love my Lands End rash guards. They fit a little looser than most, more like a tshirt. I typically wear a tankini top under mine. When I was in the Caribbean, I did find a bikini top to wear under it to have less fabric. Never exposed that bikini top! I suppose you could wear a bra that you don't care about.

I'm very fair skinned, so I always wear a rashguard for the sun protection. As PP said, the Lands End ones are cut a little larger, so I'm able to wear my normal size unlike some others. And I just wear my normal tankini top underneath.

Thanks everyone.
My hope - as some said- is to find a loose, short sleeve one. I think it would make me feel more comfortable

There are some nice swim cover ups out there, I would take a look at if that would make you feel more comfortable too.

I wear a rash guard over a tankini top all the time, for sun protection. My favorite brand is Athleta. They make some really nice ones. I have a shortsleeved one with a little half zipper at the neck and it's my favorite. It's not skin tight and it hides my belly bulge wonderfully.

I prefer the short sleeve ones in Florida because with the humidity, the long sleeve ones feel too warm out of the water.
I agree with all of this, but I buy at Land's End.

I do wear a LS rash guard for sun protection, but I am a redhead with pale skin that burns in a matter of minutes. If I am in the sun more than 30 minutes with out skin protection, I have a sunburn. Rash guards are meant to fit tightly, so order the size you think you will wear plus the size larger and see what you like.

I wear mine with a tankini and a swim skirt.

Some swimwear is sold as "swim shirts". I guess they're looser and look more like an athletic T-shirt.

Another option is to just wear a good polyester T-shirt, although most don't have elastic material. I haven't gone swimming with one, but I remember being up to my armpits in water while wearing a basic Under Armour poly T-shirt. I had no place to dry out, but I was dry within a half hour.

I too buy Lands End tankinis and rash guards. My rash guard top is really loose, and I love it. I have very pale skin and never tan, so it serves its purpose well.

I live in a country where most people where a protective swim top when swimming outside (it's even compulsory in some places). Most people, myself included, just wear our normal togs underneath (one piece or bikini) with the swimming shirt on top. Sometimes females wear board shorts or crop swimming shorts as well over their normal togs. That way, if anything happens and the sunsafe top comes off, there's nothing to see beyond a normal bathing suit.

I wear my tankini top under my rash guard, mainly because mine is for sun protection or modesty when walking from the pool to my house. I wear landsend rash guards, some of the shirts have ties on the side and that style is looser for middle aged women and above, I'm in my 40s, but I'm a mom of 3 and go for coverage.

Thanks everyone.
My hope - as some said- is to find a loose, short sleeve one. I think it would make me feel more comfortable
I bought a loose shirt sleeve one from Lands End. I got it on clearance over the winter, so I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm planning to wear my regular bathing suit top under it.

I wish I found this thread earlier! It sounds like Lands End is a great option for t-shirt type rash guards! My DH is 6'5" with very fair skin and wants one for Mexico. I found one online from Quicksilver, it's supposed to be more loose fitting than a traditional rash guard but I'm still wondering how it will fit him with his height. I guess we'll see when we get it. I may be expediting from Lands End... :)
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I would not wear a regular bra under it, unless it is a dri-fit, moisture wicking type.

Thank you everyone for all your great posts. I did end up finding a swim shirt that I can wear over my bathing suit. It is short sleeves and a loose fit. It is exactly what I wanted.
Lands End has some really nice ones. Also a site I found from a friend was "Coolibar". They had some nice swim shirts also. They are a little pricier but get great reviews. When you go on their website you get a little pop-up saying if you sign up for the newsletter you can get 15% off and free shipping so that helps.

Again thanks everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter