Question about Making own shirt

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyMama629

DIS Veteran
I've been following the shirt designs since last year when you all were just one thread. Now I finally found a design that I thought I could do myself, the character letters. I designed it in PowerPoint and I thought it turned out pretty well.

Well, I'm a member of TourGuideMike.com so I posted it on the community board over there to show them. When people started complimenting it, I said I got my inspiration from the DIS. I didn't know who the original designer was because I have seen so many people making them lately.

Well, I designed 3 more for other people on TGM. Today someone came on and seemed to be unhappy with me for not giving credit to Julia&Nicks mom. It really hurt my feelings, as I wasn't trying to take credit from her designs. I didn't ever say that I made up the idea, I just made the design.

Anyways, I guess what I want to know is are we allowed to use peoples ideas? Or do you always want us to PM you and request that you all personalize the design for us? I thought I was being helpful by making my own shirts and doing the ones for the other TGM members that wanted them. If that was stepping on somebodys toes I guess I need to know.

I think the dis-signers are awesome and I wouldn't want them to think I'm stealing their designs. I just thought that if you could personalize them yourself that was what you were supposed to do.

Awe. Feel free to make my ideas your own. I would only care if you started making some money! :lmao: Then, I'm coming after you! lol. :stir:

:worried: I'm glad you said that. I'm just not sure how the others feel. I wish they'd state their stance on this because if it bugs them for people to use their ideas they need to let people know. I don't want to make them mad.

I don't have any designs for people to use, yet. But I think, I'll stress the word think, what happened is there has lately been some nastiness about people using other people's designs and then claiming them as their own. That doesn't sound like what happened here. All the designers ask is that when you use a design of theirs, that you give credit for it. I think it starts to get confusing, as in your case, with the name shirts. A bunch of people have started doing those and personally I have no idea who the very first person was. I've heard it was Kate, but then I've also heard it was at least two other people so I don't know. Not having seen what was posted and not knowing the whole story, all I can say is it sounds like maybe you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. You can only be expected to do the best you can with the information you have at the time. And if the day comes that I ever figure out how to make a design (yeah right) please feel free to use it!

Feel free to make any of my designs your own. I try to say where my ideas come from, but honestly, they come from everyone! A little touch of this and a touch of that. I look at designs on here. I look at designs in catalogues and magazines. If something is specifically inspired by one or two people's designs, then of course they deserve credit. I haven't done that many Disney. But it's growing. I've got so many in my head, I'll never have enough trips for shirts. My kids are going to have to start wearing Disney every day! They will be begging to wear those school uniforms when they start school! :lmao:
eta: Ok, I must be tired. I thought my other post didnt' go through. But it did, so now I've just posted the same thing again. :crazy:

I am sure that someone said something b/c we had a BIG discussion about this about a month ago -

I have had a lot of trouble with people using my designs and posting them on other sites as their own

I have also had trouble with the name designs

I did start them and several people have begun to present them as their own idea - the amount of time I spend doing this - it gets very frustrating when I see them in other places presented as their own idea -

This has been a pretty hot topic on here and is actually part of what led me to the decision to stop custom designing - it would be my preference that if someone like a design that I did for you or inspired you to do - that you refer them to me -

here is what I posted about this topic recently

I have seen my designs or designs ODDLY similar to mine and someone says - HEY look at the shirt I made for my trip - and people pile on the KUDOS and no mention that I actually made the design is ever given. I would never make something and then say - OH thank you without ever saying I didn't even actually design it

It also bothers me to see people taking my designs - modifying them and then people love them and ask them to modify it and they do - the way we have always done it around here is to refer the request to the original designer - unless that designer is not around - it is just common courtesy in my opinion and why we have such a great group around here

and while I am on the topic of things that are upsetting - I am just going to throw out some other things that frustrate me a designer and really make me not want to keep doing this

once a designer posts a requested design - that is it - we don't go and make one hoping they will like our design better - if the OP asks for other designs - that is okay - but typically we don't continue posting designs once someone has already done the requested design - I think that is a slap in the face to the other designer

and when asking for a design - a please would be appreciated - not "make for me..."

and once you pm me for a design - please do not start a thread requesting the same design - I don't want to spend time on a design to only see that you have already gotten it somewhere else - I spend a lot of time on designs and this is very upsetting to me

I know you all say as long as you aren't taking money out of my pocket - why do I care? I care b/c I do this out of the goodness of my heart and when I see someone post my design somewhere else without giving me any credit - it is hurtful to me - I have desinged over 1500 shirts for people and I love knowing that I have done something nice for others and when something like this happens it is really a slap in the face to me

Okay, so can I make the character name shirts for the people on the TGM boards as long as I state that the orginal idea comes from you? I'm just wondering because I think it's a fun design to do and I can actually do it myself without one of the expensive programs. Also I wasn't sure if I should refer to you all because I didn't want you to get backed up with a million requests. Would you prefer for people to refer to you all or to make it ourselves but make sure they know that the idea wasn't mine originally?

I know that it seems like I'm asking a lot of questions, but I just want to make sure I'm not making anyone mad. I really love your designs and I was going to let my 5yo neice pick some for shirts for herself. I was just trying to ask for one less personalization.

robnkris said:
Okay, so can I make the character name shirts for the people on the TGM boards as long as I state that the orginal idea comes from you? I'm just wondering because I think it's a fun design to do and I can actually do it myself without one of the expensive programs. Also I wasn't sure if I should refer to you all because I didn't want you to get backed up with a million requests. Would you prefer for people to refer to you all or to make it ourselves but make sure they know that the idea wasn't mine originally?

I know that it seems like I'm asking a lot of questions, but I just want to make sure I'm not making anyone mad. I really love your designs and I was going to let my 5yo neice pick some for shirts for herself. I was just trying to ask for one less personalization.
I don't really mind when people make the designs for themselves - but I would prefer when others are involved that you refer them to me

Alrighty! Sorry if I stepped on your toes at all. I wasn't around for all the drama that happened a while back. I didn't get into any of those threads. I usually just check out the designs.

I don't think I have stolen anyones designs if so sorry! I think the only thing I may have gotten is the actual clipart then change it but most of the clipart on alot of the peoples designs on here that they have made is also on alot of the clipart webpages.So sometimes if people think others are stealing thier designs they may not have as they may have gotten the pics to use off of websites. I look thru everyones designs on here first and will not do them the same as already done I may use same pics change them add different writing ect but never the same design as already done that isn't fair to the peson who origonally did it. My first ones I made I did state when I posted them some of the clipart came off of here but could not remember whos it was and stated that and said ty to them.... I don't mind people using what I have made as said above aslong as they don't go saying they made up the design but by all means take them and use them thats why I am making them, its fun and if I made them all for myself I would have t-shirts comming out my you know what LOL I like to make them for other people thats why I am doing it not for myself I already made the ones I wanted so if anyone wants something of mine take it or I can make it for you how you would like it :) I think everyones designs on here are great!!! Thank you for giving me a new hobby if only I could make money off it hahaha JK!

Oh, dear. This is the first bit of negativity I've seen here. :guilty: That was one of the things I loved about this forum - so much sharing and creativity going on. Like robnkris I mainly look at designs and advice threads when I lurk over here.

julia's & nicks mom - you do some fantastic designs! I hope that you truly haven't stopped designing. :goodvibes

As a new person to all this now - and new to this forum too. I'm very nervous now. I'm hesitant to share anything that I work up. Looking through alot of the design galleries there are a lot of designs from different people that I would say are similar or just modifications of the same thing. Also, some of the stuff I've seen is similar to some tutorials I've looked at or logical next steps from those tutorials - ie, I could see where the tutorial might have lead to the inspiration. The last thing I want to do is post something I worked up after being inspired by a tutorial or even just playing around and have it hurt someone's feelings because its unintentionally similar to their design - we just both happened to have our creativity lead us down the same path or if I credit the wrong person for the inspiration. All of you are my inspiration :thumbsup2

Tracy51 you can use anything of mine or whatever Idon't mind thats why I make them and if you can add to make it better then go for it as I may want to use your version hehe

I have had blatant stealing of my designs (this is not in reference to the OP) - someone posted it on another forum and said -

look at this design I made

I don't think there are any of you out there that this would not upset

I am happy for anyone to use my designs for inspiration or thier own shirts - I just ask that you don't represent it as your own design and then start making it for others

I really don't think that is being unreasonable on my part especially considering in the last 8 months I have made over 1500 t-shirt designs

julia & nicks mom said:
I don't really mind when people make the designs for themselves - but I would prefer when others are involved that you refer them to me

The only problem with this statement is that we all have different styles. Yes, you started the name thing here - but mine look different than yours. Not better, not worse - just different. If someone prefers the style you do then they should ask you - absolutly! But if they prefer the way another designer does it, they should not be made to feel guilty for asking that designer to do it, nor should the designer feel bad (or have to refuse).

For example - an image of yours:
names-birthdayboy-JNMom.jpg

and an image of mine - different font - only one character per letter - same character throughout - No text below the name
ROBIN.jpg

Most everyone knows you had the original idea - and it is a good idea - otherwise it wouldn't be being coppied... ;) But you shouldn't prevent others from adding their personal twist to it - nor be offended if someone prefers that different style.

I don't post my designs anywhere but here, so if it is an image that was inspired by something that another DISigner did, most of the board people will recognize that.

If someone askes me for any design I've done - regardless of where I got the idea from - I will share it - and if I remember what inspired me, I will credit it.
smile_peace.gif

Side note - I always try to credit the artist when I use artwork in my images - don't see anyone else doing that!

Not for general clipart characters, but actual artwork like the 4 character scene I did with David Willardsons splater art:
LaughingPlaceArtbyDavidWillardson.jpg

Actually the names with the characters have been around forever mabey not on this board but in shops ect as my daughter had one when she was just a little baby its not a new thing at least not in real life. I think its the biggest compliment for someone to use a design that you make and if the design has been changed then it is now their design. Like I posted before about 99% of these clip art things are all on the web so to say someone stole a design is not true unless it looks exactly like the one you have made same writing same colours same everything. I think if you dont want your designs to be used then dont post them that they can be copied exactly put a watermark or whatever but that won't always stop them either as there is ways to remove them aswell I looked at all mine so far and the only one ok two I have the same is the mickey writing a letter which I just found in julia&nicks but I did not take it from hers I actually found that one online on a clip art website and I wrote mine diff. as I never seen hers first and the little stick people but I added names to mine and did get that one off here on someones site and stated that I got a few off here but didnt remember from who as I go finger happy saving and move on hehe anyway I looked at your designs Julia&nicks mom and they are great! I do have to say tho in the names one I didn't see my name waaaahhh hehe :lmao:

I'm really sorry if I opened a can of worms with this thread. :confused3 I just wanted to get down to the bottom of what people think is kosher and what isn't. I don't want to upset anyone by taking an idea they had and changing it to make it my own. I guess I still kind of think it should be okay if I make a similar shirt if I credit the person who originally had the idea.

My name letters are quite similar, but I was letting the kids involved in wearing the shirts pick their particular characters.

I think J&N mom is such an awesome designer and I really don't want to offend the Queen of the DDA. I just wanted to become a very small part of the DDA and take some of the load off of referring everyone to J&N's mom. Well, I'm rambling so, I guess that's all I have to say for now. :wave2:

Sorry again if I have offended anyone with this thread.

robnkris said:
I think the dis-signers are awesome and I wouldn't want them to think I'm stealing their designs. I just thought that if you could personalize them yourself that was what you were supposed to do.

I would have to agree. I haven't been around the designs threads/boards for awhile for a number of reasons. Honestly, I am amazed that people are getting so upset over this. Especially since all of these designs are really using copyrighted images without permission from the original designers or credit to those owners/designers as well. Disney images, logos, etc. are all copyrighted images. We are all in violation of copyright laws just by having the "designs" posted anywhere and especially by printing them on shirts for display in public. While there have been so many creative designs around here, I can't believe that people are claiming the Disney images as your own :sad2: I truly think that creating this sort of animosity amongst one another could really backfire and cause problems for the designers and for the DIS (from both a community and legal standpoint.)

I can understand people being proud of their designs but isn't the idea to share with others not just boast about look what I did :confused3 I thought the idea was to create images that your family and friends (IRL and on the DIS) could enjoy. I know for a fact that several of the things that I "designed" were taken and modified by others. So what - that is what they were there for. I've made many modifications at the request of others when I have had the time. If they want to take something and make it their own - good for them. Isn't that what we all have done? If you didn't want others to use your images - why post them in the first place?

HayGan said:
We are all in violation of copyright laws just by having the "designs" posted anywhere and especially by printing them on shirts for display in public.
We are NOT in violation of any copyright law. Making the designs for personal use is not a problem. The violation occurs when the items made with Disney images are sold, and someone profits by using disney images. This has been questioned and answered several times on this board.

Tammi67 said:
We are NOT in violation of any copyright law. Making the designs for personal use is not a problem. The violation occurs when the items made with Disney images are sold, and someone profits by using disney images. This has been questioned and answered several times on this board.

No, by posting any copyrighted image without the express consent of the copyright holder is a violation of the law!!! No sale or profit has to be involved in order to be in violation.

You ARE in violation of US Copyright law. Displaying copyrighted images on the internet without the expressed permission of the copyright owner is a violation. You would be hard pressed to find any attorney who would argue that these t-shirt designs meet the criteria of fair use (use for educational purpose, news reporting, research, etc.)

It does indeed violate copyright law and I am quite sure that Disney would agree with me! Please explain how it does not :confused3

Copyright Law of the United States

HayGan said:
No, by posting any copyrighted image without the express consent of the copyright holder is a violation of the law!!! No sale or profit has to be involved in order to be in violation.

You ARE in violation of US Copyright law. Displaying copyrighted images on the internet without the expressed permission of the copyright owner is a violation. You would be hard pressed to find any attorney who would argue that these t-shirt designs meet the criteria of fair use (use for educational purpose, news reporting, research, etc.)

It does indeed violate copyright law and I am quite sure that Disney would agree with me! Please explain how it does not :confused3

Copyright Law of the United States

Well, I'm certainly not a lawyer, but subsection 113 from the link you gave, which deals specifically with pictorial and graphic images, seems to say it IS legal.

113. Scope of exclusive rights in pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works
(a) Subject to the provisions of subsections (b) and (c) of this section, the exclusive right to reproduce a copyrighted pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work in copies under section 106, includes the right to reproduce the work in or on any kind of article, whether useful or otherwise.

(b) This title does not afford, to the owner of copyright in a work that portrays a useful article as such, any greater or lesser rights with respect to the making, distribution, or display of the useful article so portrayed than those afforded to such works under the law, whether title 17 or the common law or statutes of a State, in effect on December 31, 1977, as held applicable and construed by a court in an action brought under this title.

(c) In the case of a work lawfully reproduced in useful articles that have been offered for sale or other distribution to the public, copyright does not include any right to prevent the making, distribution, or display of pictures or photographs of such articles in connection with advertisements or commentaries related to the distribution or display of such articles, or in connection with news reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter