• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about a larger person riding rides?

Generally adaptions on rides are put in place to accommodate people who are disabled as opposed to overweight, so while an adaption may be helpful to someone who is overweight, there is no legal obligation to provide an adaption unless the condition is disabling. It would therefore make sense that the priority should be given to a person who has a disability, as the theme park has a legal obligation to make reasonable modifications for guests with disabilities. I suppose whether or not you wait, would come down to whether or not you considered yourself to be disabled, and therefore entitled to the modification in any case.

Because the disabled are legally entitled to have a modification being made available where reasonably possible. Someone who is overweight, but not disabled would not have the same right to have a modification made under the ADA. The purpose of the modification is for the meeting of needs of disabled people. The fact that the modification may also benefit someone who is overweight is great, but it is not the true intent of making the modification. If the overweight person is also disabled then they too would be covered by the ADA, however not all overweight people consider themselves to be disabled and so many would not be covered by the ADA. It therefore seems fair to allow those who have a legal entitlement to use the modification before doing so yourself. If the Op is disabled she would be afforded that protection.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that the OP or anyone else should not use modifications if they would be helpful.

I was just stating that the PURPOSE of a modified ride vehicle is to accommodate those with disabilities, in reply to someone else asking somebody why they had offered a wheelchair user priority to the modification.

I was just trying to explain why, if someone did not consider themselves to be disabled, they may choose to allow those who they perceived to be disabled access to the accommodation before them.

I'm sure the cast members at Disney couldn't care less who boards the ride first, it is unlikely to matter to them.

It is purely subjective as to whether someone is disabled or not, evidently if someone weighs 700 pounds it would likely cause them to be disabled at least in some areas of their day to day life, however, it would also be untrue to say that every obese person is in fact disabled, just because they are overweight. This is why the individual is best placed to know whether their condition does or does not impair their functioning.

The ADA law clearly talks about reasonable accommodations being provided to assist those with disabilities. The ADA does not afford any protection to people without disabilities.

I did not write the law, nor am I suggesting that it is perfect. I am not saying that everyone must give priority to people using wheelchairs. I'm just trying to explain why someone might have felt this was something she wanted to do.

There are guidelines in the ADA that actually address what you are posting about - checks and balances, that pretty much make it OK for everyone to have access to accommodations made for those with disabilities. I don't have the actual regs in my head, and I'm not home this week to look at my notes, though.

I think in most cases, the accommodations put in place for a disabled person don't offer any significant additional benefit to those who do not require it and therefore there is little attraction to those who do not have a disability.

The GAC is a good demonstration of why offering disabled guests an accommodation which is attractive to everybody is bound to fail - everyone wants access to the accommodation regardless of necessity and the system falls apart.

The same thing would happen if every guest arrived at their resort bus stop to go to Magic Kingdom on a ECV. The system would not cope. The difference is that this accommodation is not particularly attractive to those who do not need it, and so the likelihood of someone using it if they aren't disabled is less likely.

I wonder what would happen if everyone exercised their right to descend on Main Street in ECVs! It would be grid lock! The line for dole whips would circle the seven seas lagoon!

Just my two cents. As you board the plane you can discretely make a seat belt motion across your midsection and the attendant will quietly hand you an extender. If you wait until you get to your seat it can be difficult to get one.
I book our family of 3 with my bony 50 pound child in the middle. I can suck it up long enough to take off. Then I raise the armrest and let it loose.
On rides I dont have much issues. There are a few rides that I am not comfortable riding with my daughter. Lap bar rides like BTMRR. When I bring the bar down to my thighs my child is not secured at all.
The other thing to be aware of is exercise induced vasculitis. I got it once and learned my lesson. Two anti inflammatories in the morning. And I carry cold packs that I can pop and use during the day. Dumbo is awesome because my child can play in a contained area while I apply cold packs. There is no limit on how long you can stay. Ellens in Epcot is good too. In AK I take the child to Rafikis. HS has never been an issue because it has always been a half day park.
Tinactin spray is your friend. Anyplace where skin touches skin.

I thought that obesity is now a recognized disability under the ADA. If someone cannot physically use the regular seat because of their weight, they are just as much entitled to take the seat as someone in a wheelchair. I would hope that only those whose weight really makes the regular seats difficult or impossible will use the transfer seat as those in wheelchairs have no other choice.

As someone who is both obese and who will be bringing my power chair to WDW I have to agree with this piccolopat. If you are waiting in line and need to use the transfer seat in order to fully enjoy the ride, PLEASE use it. Don't bypass the seat because you think, or anyone else thinks, I need it more. I'm fine-I'll wait for the next one. Same with the accessible stall in the bathroom-it's the "accessible" stall (meaning I can get my chair in there and transfer to the toilet). It wasn't put there to sit empty until a handicapped person shows up while everyone else waits for a regular stall. So please don't stand in line while your little 3 y/o wets her pants because some grouchy person glared at you and told you that stall is JUST FOR THE HANDICAPPED! Anyone can use it. Tell them I said so lol

One thing I noticed when on Thunder Mountain. There's a bench seat that fits two people comfortably. However, the lap bar that comes down across your legs will stop at the height of the person with the largest legs. I went on it with a friend, and because the lap bar stopped at the height of her legs, it didn't touch my legs at all. I slid around quite a bit as we went around the curves on the ride; I didn't feel like I was going to fall out, but I slid from side to side constantly. It's an unnerving feeling!

One thing I noticed when on Thunder Mountain. There's a bench seat that fits two people comfortably. However, the lap bar that comes down across your legs will stop at the height of the person with the largest legs. I went on it with a friend, and because the lap bar stopped at the height of her legs, it didn't touch my legs at all. I slid around quite a bit as we went around the curves on the ride; I didn't feel like I was going to fall out, but I slid from side to side constantly. It's an unnerving feeling!
yes there is one lap bar as you know since you rode it and slid around and it will go as low as it can then stop and some times it dose not even come close to touching my legs at all ( most of the time)

I know stitich is a very hated ride( and I've only been on its first incarnation before the revamp to make it less scary) but i thought i'd chime in that the over seat harness on that may be uncomfrtable, like 7dmt its uncomfy for non-pooh sized guests.

I am a very big english girl. Last time I went I was around 310lbs and had no problems with anything at Disney. I had a few issues at Universal but that wasn't your worry so thats beside the point. If you want more specifics feel free to PM me and I will go into more personal detail.
HTH

This is embarrassing but I figured I'd rather ask it here then getting embarrassed in front of my kids and people. I'm a larger girl....375 pounds with some booty lol (don't look it thank goodness but none the less lol). Is there any rides I need to steer away from or have someone else ride with my kiddo? Thanks in advance for the help! I truly appreciate it!

I am just about your weight and can tell you that there are a few things that are very difficult for persons of size to ride. Many do fit, but it is all how your weight is distributed on your body when it comes to seats. Due to my size and I have bad knees, it is almost impossible for me to get in and out of Space Mtn, so I don't even try. Splash Mtn is difficult too, even after they redid the logs with lap bars, so I avoid both. Better to avoid then get stuck on a ride and have an embarrassing time trying to get out of the car/log (Done that)

Test track has a test car out in front you can try, but it is best that only two of you are in the seat unless one is small child or it will be very tight for you.

Star Tours has very narrow seats but I can squeeze into them as do some of the theater seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter