Question about a larger person riding rides?

I didn't mean to cause any arguments but I so appreciate your help! I just don't want to be embarrassed in front of my kiddo or break her heart if we can't ride so thank you from the bottom of my heart for your help it means so much!!!

I am 5 ft 5 inches and about 350# and I go to WDW almost every year and love it!
Rides I have problems with are space mountain (more getting in and out), Peter pan, Winnie the pooh (just tight).
I can do haunted mansion, splash mountain and big thunder mountain railroad without problems. I ride in my own vehicle or car for these, I rarely have had a CM try to put someone with me, they try to be sensitive too....
I haven't tried 7DMT, as I heard it is tight for slightly pooh sized folks, but there is a practice car to try out there. I haven't tried Dumbo or the tea cups in years as my kids haven't been interested.
Kali didn't work for me as I couldn't get the strap fastened.
Expedition Everest is my FAVORITE!!!
Startours and TOT were easy if you pull the belt out all the way before you sit down then sit and latch it easily.
At ToT, CM's typically know where to sit me, front row center typically.
For the muppets shows, it helps to sit in the front of the seat and then slide back,
For boat rides, just position yourself in the middle of the row, If possible. The CM's are really good at balancing things out without drawing attention to anyone.

This is your vacation, please enjoy it!!

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that the OP or anyone else should not use modifications if they would be helpful.

I was just stating that the PURPOSE of a modified ride vehicle is to accommodate those with disabilities, in reply to someone else asking somebody why they had offered a wheelchair user priority to the modification.

I was just trying to explain why, if someone did not consider themselves to be disabled, they may choose to allow those who they perceived to be disabled access to the accommodation before them.

I'm sure the cast members at Disney couldn't care less who boards the ride first, it is unlikely to matter to them.

It is purely subjective as to whether someone is disabled or not, evidently if someone weighs 700 pounds it would likely cause them to be disabled at least in some areas of their day to day life, however, it would also be untrue to say that every obese person is in fact disabled, just because they are overweight. This is why the individual is best placed to know whether their condition does or does not impair their functioning.

The ADA law clearly talks about reasonable accommodations being provided to assist those with disabilities. The ADA does not afford any protection to people without disabilities.

I did not write the law, nor am I suggesting that it is perfect. I am not saying that everyone must give priority to people using wheelchairs. I'm just trying to explain why someone might have felt this was something she wanted to do.

Just chiming in for DH, who is 5'6" and approx 300lbs. He's only been really uncomfortable on a few rides. AstroOrbitor is a no-go. He does fine on Dumbo, teacups, etc. Also haven't had problems on 7DMT, he just sits in his own row. He has also had the issue w/Muppet show seats being to small, as well as many other theater type seats. Soarin is also quite uncomfortable (but it has test seats out front). also second the Pooh-Sized thread - VERY helpful! Best of luck and enjoy your vacation!

Ya know, a lot of us fellow pooh sized folk can come on here and give you our experiences, but the problem is everyone is pooh sized in different areas and some things may not be as uncomfortable for me as they would be for you and vice versa. What I can tell you, is there are very few, if any, things that you CANNOT do. Disney tries to accommodate everyone and this is why they'll never have super huge thrill rides like other parks because those types of rides can't accommodate all body sizes. My best advice is to ask for your own row (7DMT), car (BTMRR & SM & SE), or to skip a seat next to you on rides like Dinosaur and Test Track, pull seat belts ALL THE WAY out before sitting, and ask for bench seating, if it's available; Some of the theater seats are *tight*. I know I can sit here and tell you not to worry, but since I understand, I know that you will anyway. What I can tell you is that I think you'll find out that it was all for nothing as Disney rides are VERY accommodating.

This is embarrassing but I figured I'd rather ask it here then getting embarrassed in front of my kids and people. I'm a larger girl....375 pounds with some booty lol (don't look it thank goodness but none the less lol). Is there any rides I need to steer away from or have someone else ride with my kiddo? Thanks in advance for the help! I truly appreciate it!
Hi, I am planning my first trip and in the past always cancelled because I thought I would be too large to enjoy the activities. I found this site and allears there is a 10 page section in allears about this subject and it sure helped me. at allears, i went to search on far right and typed in at large. I believe it has something to do with someone named deb and there was a book years back that included information for "at large" people. I am gathering as much info as I can so I will feel somewhat calm. Hope this helps a bit. Have a good day.

Ya know, a lot of us fellow pooh sized folk can come on here and give you our experiences, but the problem is everyone is pooh sized in different areas and some things may not be as uncomfortable for me as they would be for you and vice versa. What I can tell you, is there are very few, if any, things that you CANNOT do. Disney tries to accommodate everyone and this is why they'll never have super huge thrill rides like other parks because those types of rides can't accommodate all body sizes. My best advice is to ask for your own row (7DMT), car (BTMRR & SM & SE), or to skip a seat next to you on rides like Dinosaur and Test Track, pull seat belts ALL THE WAY out before sitting, and ask for bench seating, if it's available; Some of the theater seats are *tight*. I know I can sit here and tell you not to worry, but since I understand, I know that you will anyway. What I can tell you is that I think you'll find out that it was all for nothing as Disney rides are VERY accommodating.

This makes me feel so much better honestly....I may be to worried to try the 7DMT only b/c so many have said it's a tight squeeze and I carry my weight all over. Like you said until I plant my butt in the first seat it will be in the back of my mind but you made me feel so much better....all of you did thank you so so much!!

Hi, I am planning my first trip and in the past always cancelled because I thought I would be too large to enjoy the activities. I found this site and allears there is a 10 page section in allears about this subject and it sure helped me. at allears, i went to search on far right and typed in at large. I believe it has something to do with someone named deb and there was a book years back that included information for "at large" people. I am gathering as much info as I can so I will feel somewhat calm. Hope this helps a bit. Have a good day.
sorry, i just glanced at my post to you and see vagueness. there is a website called allears. On the disboards someone gave out a great thread about "pooh sized people". that threat is huge!

Hi Tinker. I just wanted to chime in to let you know that no matter what, cast members will never do anything to embarass you. This isnt six flags after all. :)

I was worried about fitting in the rides too, on my first trip since before that my only ride experiences had been at six flags. They are worlds apart!!

I had difficulty getting back out of space mountain ride vehicle but never once did i feel rushed or embarassed by anyone. My husband offered me his hand and that provided enough stability to get out, but i was by no means graceful.

Also, do try not to worry about other guests. No one will jeer or throw tomatoes. Most people are too busy enjoying thier own vacations to even notice half the people around them.

Please go and have a marvelous time!!!

And that's exactly what I'm basing my experience on is a local experience at a theme park called Kings island. it's geared more towards the big crazy upside down rides and yea my butt aint fitting into those rides lol. Also the seats belts for some of the more tamer rides look like they were made for Barbie lol

I just saw a picture of the bar on the 7 dwarf ride and it made me sad. 13 inches for my legs. I really really wanted to do that ride!!

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is just one of those things you have to try. I fit just fine if I sit by myself and my small 13 year old can sit next to me. If you put me next to another adult, forget it. Most larger adults can find a way to fit themselves in if they sit in their own car.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is just one of those things you have to try. I fit just fine if I sit by myself and my small 13 year old can sit next to me. If you put me next to another adult, forget it. Most larger adults can find a way to fit themselves in if they sit in their own car.
thanks. i will just have to grit my teeth and try.

Ya know, a lot of us fellow pooh sized folk can come on here and give you our experiences, but the problem is everyone is pooh sized in different areas and some things may not be as uncomfortable for me as they would be for you and vice versa.

That's one of the reason I find the "Pooh Sized" thread helpful - some people post pictures of themselves on the rides (or not) which helps.

I am not sure if this is the right thread to ask this or not, but my family and I will be flying to Orlando next month on Allegiant airline. My daughter is 370 lbs 5'6". I am starting to get very anxious about our trip, not knowing what she will or will not have trouble fitting into, including and especially the flight part. Any suggestions or personal experiences anyone can share would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

I am not sure if this is the right thread to ask this or not, but my family and I will be flying to Orlando next month on Allegiant airline. My daughter is 370 lbs 5'6". I am starting to get very anxious about our trip, not knowing what she will or will not have trouble fitting into, including and especially the flight part. Any suggestions or personal experiences anyone can share would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

I would check with your airlines, but some airlines expect you to pay for two seats. If this is the case and you haven't done it, then hopefully you can get the extra seat coming and going.

As far as Disney goes there are rides that you have to take some large steps in and out. Boat rides can be tough. Other rides have moving sidewalks like Haunted Mansion and Buzz Lightyear which could be difficult for her to board the ride. Test Track is tough in Epcot. If her reactions aren't fast I would be careful on what rides to do. There are plenty of shows to see; so, go on the rides that are doable, do more shows and fireworks and parades. You can watch some u-tube videos if you are not familiar to decide which rides may or may not work.

You may want to consider getting her a scooter; they call them ECVs. She may have trouble walking the park depending on how long of a day you are planning. You can rent at the park or from an off site vendor. It's way cheaper to do an off site rental. She will need a heavy duty scooter.

It's all about measurements. Here's what Allegiant says:

The airline seats measure 17.8" from inside of armrest to inside of armrest. Passengers who are unable to lower the armrest and/or compromise any portion of adjacent seat(s) should purchase an additional ticket during the initial reservation. Two seats will be pre-assigned (at no additional charge) in order to ensure the passenger of size has two seats side-by-side. If on the date of travel, a passenger of size requests a second ticket, the agent will be unable to sell a second ticket unless two seats are available side-by-side. In the event the flight is sold out and an extra seat is unavailable, the passenger of size shall be denied travel in the interest of safety.

So on the safe side, you may want to get her adjoining seats now or risk her not being able to fly.

As for the parks, WDW is much friendlier to "pooh-sized" people than Universal. As mentioned above, allears has a pooh-sized thread and there are a number on these boards.

I'm fat and do fine at Disney. I do take Motrin before heading out each morning, and when we stop for lunch, but have never even come close to needing a scooter. Go, relax and have a great time!

Make sure she asks for a seatbelt extender. All airlines carry them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter