Purchasing Genie + question

jacobsmommy

DIS Veteran
Good morning, I am very new to the Genie + situation. We just booked our trip for June 2022 yesterday. Do most people purchase Genie + beforehand or do they wait until they are there? Our travel agent gave purchasing it now as an option for us.

I think you can only purchase it ahead of time if you have a room/tickets package, and you have to purchase it for every day you have tickets. If I could, I would never do that, as having read about genie + there is no way I would want to use it every park day. But if you are anticipating using it every park day it would probably be easier to already have it purchased.

We used it every day of our November trip and had purchased it ahead of time. We were glad we did that so did not have to worry about having to go on the app to do that and also make the Genie+ and extra fee selections. We had enough technical issues just with booking the rides.

We will be there in June, when it is a little busier. I think we are planning on using it every day.

If you purchase in advance, it has to be for the entire duration, i.e., you have to purchase it for every day of your ticket. If you want that only for some of the days, my experience, wait till 12:00am of that particular day, you will see the option in the app to make the purchase.

It is a pain to a certain extent, wake up 7am to grab your pass, then every 2 hours, repeat...

We are going later this month and even though we have a package, I plan to add it to the days we want it as I don't anticipate needing it everyday.

We are going later this month and even though we have a package, I plan to add it to the days we want it as I don't anticipate needing it everyday.
This is just what I came to find! As someone who has never even set foot in Florida let alone WDW, why do you anticipate not needing it everyday?

For what it's worth, we have a good chunk of rides we've already said we aren't interested in (FOP, Mission Space, Space Mountain,etc).

I think I would do it for every day if I was hopping. If you don’t need it for the first park of the day, you can stack for the second. Seems like stacking works quite well from reading what people here on the DIS do.

Hi there! My family and I are going at the end of June and I purchased genie+ as a package. There is no way I want to worry about purchasing it at midnight or at 6:45 am before I start making g+ reservations. I feel like genie+ is already adding more work to our trip and this is one less thing to think about. We also have parkhoppers so I figure each day will likely have at least one park that they will be helpful and June is a very busy month.

Question.. do LL need to be purchased ahead of time? Morning of? or when you are the park if you feel you need it for specific ride?

I've noticed on this thread and others where people have mentioned waiting until 12:00 AM to purchase Genie+ for that one particular day. Is there a reason for doing it at that time versus, say, 6:00-6:30 that same morning? You can't book anything until 7:00 anyway, even if you've purchased it ahead of time for the length of stay, correct? So I wasn't sure if there was some advantage to purchasing it at midnight.

Also - Is there a possibility that you may not be able to purchase Genie+ by waiting until the day you need it? I wasn't sure if maybe Disney has certain limits on how many Genie+ they will distribute for a particular park/day.

I've noticed on this thread and others where people have mentioned waiting until 12:00 AM to purchase Genie+ for that one particular day. Is there a reason for doing it at that time versus, say, 6:00-6:30 that same morning? You can't book anything until 7:00 anyway, even if you've purchased it ahead of time for the length of stay, correct? So I wasn't sure if there was some advantage to purchasing it at midnight.
It can be purchased anytime after midnight on the day you want it. If you're still awake after midnight and purchase it, that's one less thing you would need to do when you wake up that morning.
Also - Is there a possibility that you may not be able to purchase Genie+ by waiting until the day you need it? I wasn't sure if maybe Disney has certain limits on how many Genie+ they will distribute for a particular park/day.
Genie+ will not sell out.

It can be purchased anytime after midnight on the day you want it. If you're still awake after midnight and purchase it, that's one less thing you would need to do when you wake up that morning.

Genie+ will not sell out.
But there is the possibility that the rides you want are no longer available even though you were able to buy Genie+. That was reported on very crowded days.

This is just what I came to find! As someone who has never even set foot in Florida let alone WDW, why do you anticipate not needing it everyday?

For what it's worth, we have a good chunk of rides we've already said we aren't interested in (FOP, Mission Space, Space Mountain,etc).

People have different takes on G+. We will use G+ at times, but don't purchase ILL access. For us it is practically useless at Epcot and AK because those parks lack the proper inventory of rides to make G+ viable, meaning that too many guests are vying for too few ride slots at too few attractions. Therefore it"s a waste of money. HS is marginal; return times for Slinky get pushed way back early in the morning. G+ always seems to benefit us at MK

Purchased along with our package. Going Memorial Day weekend and figure we will probably need it because of the crowds. Now to learn how to use it!!!! Been watching videos, but for some reason it won't sink in!!!! I wish we still used the paper fastpasses!

We never bought Genie+ on our November trip.

But then, we've been to WDW several times and have no rides we MUST go on immediately or we'll die.

Standby line moved faster than posted on every ride we did.

We'll purchase it in advance for our March trip.
I want to have it just in case and would be ticked if we wanted it and then it was a hassle to get.
Gonna roll the dice and just hope it's worth it and we use it.

We won't purchase it ahead of our June '22 trip. We have seven full park days to use, 2 days for each MK, HS, EPCOT, and 1 day AK. We also rope drop, not mild I'll get there when I get there rope drop, but serious-- can shake hands with the CMs at the "rope" rope drop. If I find day 1 at a particular park wasn't as successful as I wanted, I may purchase Genie for the second trip in. But I truly don't forsee needing it.

We never bought Genie+ on our November trip.

But then, we've been to WDW several times and have no rides we MUST go on immediately or we'll die.

Standby line moved faster than posted on every ride we did.
How was AK without Genie?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter