Purchasing first DVC. Need HELP!!! PLEASE

wmm1126

Earning My Ears
So my family and I are trying to purchase our first DVC contract through the resale market. Approx 140-175 point contracts are what we are after. We have been doing HOURS of research and have it narrowed down to 3 resorts. GFV, BLT & PLB. We have 3 kids, oldest is school aged and the youngest is less then 2. We have never been to any of these resorts and have always stayed at Art of Anim. We keep narrowing it down to 1 then finding something that makes us change our mind again. Its so frustrating. So I need real help on which to choose for a young family who still has lots of Disney left in their future.

Here are the run downs of the pro/cons in our eyes on each resort.

GFV:
Pro- new studios, 0-15 min walk to MK, the cheapest yearly dues
Neg- Last stop on monorail (so during busy time it could be full before it gets to us), have heard (have no real experience) that it can be kinda stuffy.

PVB:
Pro- Lava pool, boat ride or monorail to MK, we love 'ohana, studio will sleep 5, longest contract length
Neg- No 1 bedrm/2 bedrm accommodations at this time. We don't know if the new poly tower is going to be the same Assocation or not (and if its not then when we need 1-2 bedroom accommodations we will be SOL and have to stay somewhere else), have heard that its easy to get a reservation here at 7 months out when you book (meaning it might not be as valuable to have this for your home resort advantage), the most expensive yearly dues.

BLK:
Pro- 5-10 min walk to MK, first stop on the monorail after MK, Amazing views, hard to get reservation so having the home resort advantage seems very adventitious.
Neg- the studio only sleeps 4 (so we would only be able to do studio until my youngest turns 3, which isn't long from now), shortest contract length, has a high possibility of being taken by ROFR.

Extra info: we are planning on having 1 more kiddo which means we will be turning to a family of 6 once the new baby turns 3, so we will have to move up to a 2 bedroom.
We come once a year for approx 7-9 days
We will buy more points in approx 3-4 years.

My favorite is BLT. But PVB will be less expensive to purchase and you may be able to score BLT lake view 2BRs (and even more likely, 1BRs), except in really busy seasons, without owning BLT.

If buying GFV, I would just buy direct. Although I think the resale price is going down so maybe the delta has gotten wide enough to make resale.

I guess if you're wanting studios for now, PVB would be my top pick for you because unlike BLT, the studios are massive and you all can spread out. Meanwhile, the initial purchase commitment is smaller, which is nice for a first contract.

While you’re still trying to stay at studios for the next few years, keep in mind BLT studios are super small and tight. GFV and PVB studios are much bigger and more comfortable. I’d avoid PVB as well since in a few years you’ll want 2 bedrooms. Very hard to say if the new Poly tower will be in the same association and I would probably not risk it personally.

I’d go with GFV unless you think you could stay at 1 beds at BLT until you have to move up to 2 beds. Ultimately what theming do you like better? Where would you feel most at home?

Cost between all three of these is very similar if held to expiration, so I wouldn’t make that a factor.

I don't own any of those 3. But like the PPs, I would vote BLT for you.

BLT has better point charts. I wouldn't even plan on staying at studios with a family of your size-- so don't forget that the 1 and 2 bedrooms have an additional bathroom. Don't stress about the shorter contract length; 38 years is still PLENTY of time.

VGF direct is very tempting right now due to the sale and getting the member perks and I'm 90% leaning that way for our WDW area purchase. If I were going resale BLT is very tempting as I like the rooms/location but I don't love the resort theme. If I had a crystal ball and knew that the new Poly tower would be part of the current PVB association that would jump to the top of my list quickly.... So, you have lots of good options :) All of these opinions are only based on stalking this forum, watching way too many YouTube vids, and other learning sites.

If you put your whole family in a studio, even one that is designed to sleep 5, I think you’ll probably regret it regardless.

I wouldn’t worry about the location of the Grand Floridian or the Contemporary in regards to the monorail. I’ve never had an issue finding space. But also, I prefer the walk anyway.

I think BLT is probably your best bet if you want to save money. Being able to reliably book the 1 bedroom standard view rooms there will be a nice bonus.

The only one I wouldn’t get if I was in your shoes is Poly.

My vote would be:
VGF direct - good options in terms of room sizes and walkable into magic kingdom or the transportation hub if needed. But the points chart is really expensive so you aren’t going to be able to stay that long on just 150ish points.

Beach club resale - much cheaper points chart and arguably the best location on property, despite the 20y expry date

It you really prefer Poly I would start with BC and buy Poly 2 direct. I would not get Poly 1 given that you know you will outgrow the studios and you don’t know if you can use your points in Poly 2

I’m not a fan of BLT personally, even if the points chart is cheaper

While BLT is a good choice in terms of points, the studios are amongst the smallest out there and I think you would be very unhappy with 5 in one of those.

In terms of PVB, I would only buy there if you are 100% okay with being locked out of the tower. Actually, any resale points you buy will lock you out of that if it is a new resort/association...

VGF would provide you with the larger size rooms. Be aware, that the resort studios are more typical hotel rooms and not the ones found elsewhere. There will be no kitchenette...so no micro, toaster, and beverage cooler (not mini fridge). And, you have just a regular bath...not a split one like PVB. However, you will have the ability to stay at the deluxe studios as well. Those things might not matter as I don't know what is at AOA.

So, given all of this, I might lean towards VGF. But, I might also consider it direct if you are going to go that route. It would guarantee that you would have access to Poly tower at 7 months, regardless of the association. With a family of 5, you would be eligible for whatever membership extras are available. While no AP right now, if one comes back and there is one just for DVC that is less expensive, you would be eligible.

We own at both BLT and GFV. We prefer the Grand basically because it has been a pernennial favorite for us since it opened. We like BLT, but the studios there are very small (339 SqFt) vs GFV (374 SqFt). For 1BR it's 803 BLT vs. 844 for GFV. It may not sound like a lot, but you notice the difference. You can't really go wrong with either one of those as far as I'm concerned. We like them both. It may come down to which resort style and vibe you prefer. Your points will go further at BLT, but there's a small trade-off in room size.

I am assuming you are not traveling super peak, like Spring Break or Christmas. If you are, my answer is completely different.

The only choice that makes sense to me from your choices as a family of 6 is BLT. VGF's chart is so expensive for larger rooms, and Poly can't handle you at all. BLT also has the 1BR with the extra bathroom, which is always booked solid.

BUT, I hate BLT. Mathematically, it is probably the right choice, but I would be miserable if I bought there because of the pool and the theming. This is why it's so tough to buy at a place you've never been.

IMO, mathematically, a resale contract at SSR/VGF/BLT/CCV/Poly are all equivalent. The question is what priority you are buying. Maybe the answer to that is none, and you just need a contract so you can book something. CCV is not my style, but it meets your requirements with a reasonable 2BR and a neat boat to MK. I'd also consider AKL if you are going to be driving. The value for points goes a long way.

Take your time, DVC is not going anywhere. Maybe rent some points and split stay from AoA. Watch room tours on Youtube. There is no rush.

My pick might actually be SSR for you. 2BRs somewhere and Poly studios are not hard to get at 7 months most of the time. Heck, BC 2BR isn't impossible. If something like Poly2 is a better fit in the future, it's not like it's hard to sell SSR resale. Maybe having more points at SSR is better, and you work with what's available that year.

Last edited:
GFV:
Pro- new studios, 0-15 min walk to MK, the cheapest yearly dues
Neg- Last stop on monorail (so during busy time it could be full before it gets to us), have heard (have no real experience) that it can be kinda stuffy.

I wouldn't worry about it being the last monorail stop. It's pretty rare that a monorail would be so full that you'd have to wait for more than one more train.

The atmosphere is not for everyone. Some find it lovely and elegant, others find it pretentious or stuffy, others may find it very faux elegant. I can only suggest you take a tour yourself. At the very least, watch as many video tours as possible.

PVB:
Pro- Lava pool, boat ride or monorail to MK, we love 'ohana, studio will sleep 5, longest contract length
Neg- No 1 bedrm/2 bedrm accommodations at this time. We don't know if the new poly tower is going to be the same Assocation or not (and if its not then when we need 1-2 bedroom accommodations we will be SOL and have to stay somewhere else), have heard that its easy to get a reservation here at 7 months out when you book (meaning it might not be as valuable to have this for your home resort advantage), the most expensive yearly dues.

And short walk to the Epcot monorail. Great location for transportation.
As you're soon going to be a family of 6, you will either need 2 studios or a 2 bedroom. 2 studios are much much cheaper than a 2 bedroom at every resort.
So figure out your long term plan -- Would you want 2 bedrooms, which run 300-500 points for a week at most resorts.. Or would you rather book 2 studios, for 200-400 points?
If you'd simply book 2 studios anyway, then PVB may be the perfect fit for you. 1 studio for as long as you can, and then switch to 2 studios.
If you know you're going to want 2 BR units, then PVB isn't for you.

BLK:
Pro- 5-10 min walk to MK, first stop on the monorail after MK, Amazing views, hard to get reservation so having the home resort advantage seems very adventitious.
Neg- the studio only sleeps 4 (so we would only be able to do studio until my youngest turns 3, which isn't long from now), shortest contract length, has a high possibility of being taken by ROFR.

BLT does NOT have amazing views, though that's my subjective opinion. The standard views are obstructed and/or concrete. The lake views are ok. The Theme Park views are blah.... nice to watch fireworks, but you're mostly looking at a parking lot.
BLT studios are small, the smallest among the newish resorts.
BLT has the worst pools, it has no dining without crossing over the skyway to Contemporary.
The big advantage of BLT for you would be 2-bedroom units, that include 3 bathrooms, in a point range of 300 to 500 points most of the year (more for Easter and Christmas).
You could get a 2 bedroom standard view over the summer for a week for 322 points.
In comparison, 2 studios at Poly for the summer for a week would be 306 points.
A 2 BR at GFV over the summer would be 424 points. 2 studios at GVF over the summer would be 278 points.

So if you think you're really going to want 2 bedroom units -- BLT is much "cheaper" than GFV. And Poly doesn't have 2 br units. (and don't know what's going to happen with the tower).
If you're ok with 2 studios, then GFV and Poly both become potentially superior options for bigger rooms, nicer pools, etc.

Extra info: we are planning on having 1 more kiddo which means we will be turning to a family of 6 once the new baby turns 3, so we will have to move up to a 2 bedroom.
We come once a year for approx 7-9 days
We will buy more points in approx 3-4 years.

Wow! I expected to wake up with no replies! You guys are awesome and have made some amazingly valid points. The easy solution to our problem would be buy more points then 140-175 but we are bootstrapping this first purchase so are hands are tied. We also want to go this Dec and had planned on booking AOA like normal, but now the thought of spending 3-5K just on a room there and not putting it towards a DVC membership is too much for me to bear.

APs were mentioned if you buy direct. At the discounted price (they use to be) for direct members, would it be worth it for a family of 5-6 to buy APs for only 7-9 park days a year.

Also buying at a cheaper resort like SSR; would I be easily able to book things like a 1 bedroom at the GFV or BLT at 7 months out? Or is the home resort really important for getting those 1-2 bedroom reservations?

Thank y’all again so much!

We own 100 BLT points and, while walking to MK is fun, IMO BLT studios have the worst entry into the living area. The kitchen is annoying for two adults and I cannot imagine it with toddlers. The bathroom door is an accident waiting to happen, the closet is extremely small - really just there to mask the safe, IMO. Consequently, our next stay in December we reserved a 1br standard villa. Truthfully, if you're planning on a 4th and like Bay Lake then join with enough points to stay in the 1br.

The Poly would be nice for the older child if you could get connecting studios. GF is a walk to use the transpo system and most of it is uncovered so blazing sun or rain is an issue.

We also want to go this Dec and had planned on booking AOA like normal, but now the thought of spending 3-5K just on a room there and not putting it towards a DVC membership is too much for me to bear.
No matter what you buy, it won't be done until something like August. Dec is already tight on availability, it is peak DVC booking. I guess the exception would be buying VGF direct, then you could maybe book for December today, if anything is left. But that's a big commitment.

I'd price Dolphin and put a price alert on it. Swolphin wildly swings in price -- it was $179 for Christmas a couple months ago.

When I did the math to buy DVC in 2018, the AoA suite actually went up faster than I predicted. But the hotel room didn't. If I had known Dolphin would be $179 in five years, I'm not sure I would have bought at all.

APs were mentioned if you buy direct. At the discounted price (they use to be) for direct members, would it be worth it for a family of 5-6 to buy APs for only 7-9 park days a year.
Pre-Covid, the strategy would have been to buy one every other year and offset the trips so one pass works for both trips.

This might not work at all in the future. If APs come back at all, I expect them to be heavily blacked out, very expensive, and nothing like the previous options. Even when APs were briefly for sale in the fall, DVC membership had no discount, it just let you buy one pass level down.

I wouldn't be expecting APs at all, or DVC discounts on APs.

I recently bought 2 resale contracts at BLT. I did lose a few to ROFR along the way, but was successful in snagging these two FEB contracts. If you really need room for 4, I would stay with PVB or GFV. There is a slight chance that BLT studios might get upgraded to 5 when they do a refurb. This would mean adding the 1 person murphy bed under the TV like PVB has.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter