Punishing my family by making them go

Paqratkitty, I just had to jump in here & state that the amount of abuse some of these posters are dishing out is unbelievable! Although the dynamics of the family I grew up in are different than your family, when I was in college if my parents had stated that I was going to go on a family vacation....I would have been going! Everyone keeps harping on how can you make "adults" go on vacation. Yeah, they may legally be adults, but they are still a part of your family, and are students, that changes things. I feel bad that you have had to defend yourself so many times & have had to state (over & over) that while the older kids might not be thrilled, they are willing to go, they are looking forward to things like riding with the little ones, etc. Do yourself a favor and ignore the judge-mental people on this board, some seem to think it's okay to attack others. But getting back to your actual question, my bet is that your oldest son will LOVE Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Ft Wilderness itself. He may also enjoy going over to Wilderness Lodge and learning about Walt's love of trains and the displays that they have there. Best wishes for a terrific family vacation, I think when all is said & done, everyone will be happy that they went!
Thank you. Lol I apparently threw myself out there for a beating while all I wanted was some ideas. Silly me. Shrug some people have to be high and mighty =)

Happy to hear that you all arrived safely. It's probably too late at this point to really give you many useful suggestions for activities the older kids will enjoy, but I hope everything goes well on your trip. As long as you're flexible with what each person wants to do and willing to split up at times, then I'm sure everyone can find something they like. The cast members are great to talk to and typically know a lot of interesting info and history about the parks, attractions, and rides. In the World Showcase, many of the cast members are from the respective countries and could probably strike up a fun conversation about that country. The oldest might enjoy that and he younger ones would probably enjoy getting a passport signed in each country. In Animal Kingdom, the younger kids would probably enjoy the Wilderness Explorer program and the CMs have a lot more knowledge than the little bit they share with the younger kids through the program, so that might entice the older kids as well. There's so much to see in all the parks. If someone starts to grumble, ask them what they might want to do, let them go off alone (for the older ones) for a bit, or try to point out something interesting around you. Look for hidden Mickeys, appreciate the interesting architecture and theming, and enjoy the great snacks! Hope you have a wonderful time!

I am so glad to hear it. I hope you all have a wondefull time! It was interesting to see how hudgemental people can be.

Maybe then reconsider titling a thread "Punishing my family by making them go"? And then posting about how the kids are not thrilled about the trip?

I had no doubt in my mind that it the OP came back, everything would have gone great.

I was thinking they may get it more if you explain that WDW is like a campus. There are parks and resorts and shopping areas, and the buses will take you anyplace. Each place has unique things, plenty for older kids. They may love closing the parks, hanging at the pool or water parks, finding all of the great places to eat....
Enjoy your trip!

Update:Driving down wasn't horrible, but hubby did most the driving. Oldest girl&boy each drove literally about an hour(after offering to, for those that think thats partly why I made them go ;) ). We did get a hotel on the way back and got home abut 7pm last night.
Got there at 5am the day after we were supposed to checkin because we left late(normal for us) plus 11 ppl getting out at least every other gas fillup lol. Got camp set up and hit HS. We rode rides, ate at, and got autographs in every park. Younger kids did agent P, kidcot and the wilderness.
Older kids kinda picked what we were doing and read most the time-whatever, kept them happy hehe. All in all, pretty good trip. Thank you all who gave suggestions of things I may have over looked! =)
I would totally do this again!

Update:Driving down wasn't horrible, but hubby did most the driving. Oldest girl&boy each drove literally about an hour(after offering to, for those that think thats partly why I made them go ;) ). We did get a hotel on the way back and got home abut 7pm last night.
Got there at 5am the day after we were supposed to checkin because we left late(normal for us) plus 11 ppl getting out at least every other gas fillup lol. Got camp set up and hit HS. We rode rides, ate at, and got autographs in every park. Younger kids did agent P, kidcot and the wilderness.
Older kids kinda picked what we were doing and read most the time-whatever, kept them happy hehe. All in all, pretty good trip. Thank you all who gave suggestions of things I may have over looked! =)
I would totally do this again!
Glad you had a nice trip :)

... Glad it worked out. Honestly, I cannot wrap my head around having, raising, going anywhere with that many kids so that really hindered me from making helpful suggestions.

The road trip alone with that many kids would have sent me into therapy.

Last edited:
What did your older kids like?
They said the finales, the food was ok, all but the oldest liked the rides. All of them hated the crowds(I hate crowds too but thought they were a lot lighter than we expected) oldest hated the noise level. He thought epcot was ok but not authentic and too modern.
My 2 oldest boys will probably never go back. My 2 oldest girls said maybe. They all 4 said they would rather do other things (beach, ziplining, safari...)

... Glad it worked out. Honestly, I cannot wrap my head around having, raising, going anywhere with that many kids so that really hindered me from making helpful suggestions.

The road trip alone with that many kids would have sent me into therapy.
I love kids, I would foster/adopt and have a daycare. Also worked in the Church nursery LOL I think I can say I am a lot more tolerant of kids all ages, but my kids are also very well behaved. Maybe not super at home but as long as they are in public =) I constantly get compliments on them so that makes me happy and proud =)

I forgot to add we closed the parks daily, didnt stick to our schedule and did not do everything in any of the parks, although I am very disappointed I am not letting it bother me because the kids were content with what we did. We also had 5 day tickets. I thought they would fight over epcot(older kids) and MK(littles) for the last day. I was quite surprised and almost upset haha they all agreed(thankfully) on AK. The reasons though? They thought it was less crowded and quieter, and the little ones got to do more on their wilderness books.
All in all, happy kiddos happy mom hehe =)

They said the finales, the food was ok, all but the oldest liked the rides. All of them hated the crowds(I hate crowds too but thought they were a lot lighter than we expected) oldest hated the noise level. He thought epcot was ok but not authentic and too modern.
My 2 oldest boys will probably never go back. My 2 oldest girls said maybe. They all 4 said they would rather do other things (beach, ziplining, safari...)
Remember this thou time is your friend. The 2 older I am not going back will eventually marry and have kids. Then they will probably be forced to go to you and say mom how do we plan one of these?.

I’m glad you guys made it back safely. Did they have any fun at all? Family time is important but I do stick to my first post just go to the beach next time especially if you want your older kids to go. Maybe the younger ones dh and you could go again by yourselves.

Remember this thou time is your friend. The 2 older I am not going back will eventually marry and have kids. Then they will probably be forced to go to you and say mom how do we plan one of these?.
Hah! My oldest boy has flat out said his kids won't go to DW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter