Proposing - Help and suggestions required.

Disney is so romantic, so most of these places work BUT I have three suggestions, perhaps not romantic, but practical:

1. DON’T propose in the dark, in some small hidden corner, at Illuminations or Wishes. When you propose, you need to see her face clearly & she needs to see yours. She should also be able to see the ring. So even if you choose Wishes or Illuminations time, do it in some light.
2. Propose early on in your trip, so you can enjoy Disney as an ‘engaged’ couple.
3. Definitely tell the CMs. If you have Park Hoppers, sneak away for an hour & pre-arrange it with the CMs in the decided park.

All the best! :goodvibes

Hey there, thanks for the suggestions. I fully understand what you mean about needing a sufficient amount of lighting. since we are there for 14 nights, I plan to do it within the first 4 days. On the 2nd dec we arrive late afternoon so wont be then, 3rd we are in MK all day, 4th Universal and the 5th Dec Epcot all day.

I plan to try and send her shopping after we have ridden a ride or two at the MK and then go visit city hall (she will think im going to find a toilet i hope) and see what they can do with their pixie dust :wizard:

If they arent very helpful I will try again at Epcot i think. Though I havent decided anything yet really. Still havent had a reply from the disney florist. I don't really get time or privacy to call them at work or home so I guess I need to resend the email.

I proposed to my now wife, at the Magic Kingdom. I had things pretty well planned out, but in the end had to quickly improvise. I had the ring. I had a special ring box (sorcerer mickey-her favorite). I had it in my back pack. Had a friend with a video camera to record the moment.
My plan was to go to the wishing well, behind Cinderella's castle and to have her make a wish. When she turned around, I would ask her what she wished for? when she said she wouldn't tell... I was going to say (getting down on one knee) I wish for you to marry me. Sounded perfect and it would have been, but for a small detail I didn't think of. (We are a same sex couple so I did not want to cause any problems for families with small children) When we were finally in that area of the park... there was one of the fairies greeting and getting photo's with a long line of children right next to the fountain. So I went to the other side of the castle and found a beautiful rose bush. My friend told my (now wife) I was over the other side and needed to see her. She came over I told her to smell the beautiful rose, got down on my knee and proposed... it was just as beautiful and worked out fine. Not exactly what I wanted, but it worked. Every year we go back to the spot and share a hug and kiss at that spot. Only problem (its a smoking area, so that kinda stinks--- literally). Disney is an awesome place to get engaged and no matter where or how you do it, it will always be perfect and totally yours.

I didn't read all of the posts so I appologize if someone already mentioned these...

my fiance proposed and set it up through a company called gifts of a lifetime
there were a bunch of options and i know one of them was that they could come knock on the door in the morning to take me on a scavenger hunt or they would have put the ring in the treasure chest i ended up finding (they guarded everything and just looked like regular guests)

also, if you do it somewhere that would be a photo spot anyway, tell ur gf u want to take a pic... go to anyone who speaks English and ask them to take a pic... once ur gf starts walking to the spot pretend to explain something to them about how the camera works, but really tell them you are about to propose so make sure to get the picture

im not sure if you can set anything up with beauty and the beast. obviously you could carry the ring around daily until you found them for meet and greets have ur gf take a pic with them alone and while shes taking the pic, tell the CM that you are about to propose and ask if she can somehow go talk to the characters before you get in the pic. call your gf back to you in the line for some obsurd reason while the CM tells the characters, then get in for a group pic and propose with them in the picture. thats the best i could think of.. sorry

that is a very nice story, thankyou for sharing :)

We are going for 2 weeks and I would also like to do this early in the trip. Even thining about it makes me a little nervous. I am guessing your friends were around to capture the moment on camera? I would like that for us but it is just the two of us going.

I think it is wonderful that you are planning your proposal! It is definitely something the two of you will remember forever! And of course you and she will enjoy sharing the story of how you proposed to friends and family!

I am so happy to hear that you intend to get down on one knee to propose to her! Believe me that is one dream most girls have all their lives. :cloud9:

I was fortunate that my DH and sweetie of over 21 years proposed to me on bended knee. He and I will never forget the moment. We had some friends close by so one of them took pictures. :cheer2:

In your case, I think if you talked to one of the photo cast members ahead of time they would most likely be more than happy to be on hand to take pictures. I bet if you asked the day you went to the part at guest services or called ahead they might help prearrange the photographer to meet you at the designated spot. :thumbsup2

Otherwise, right before you do, casually go off by yourself for a moment on the pretense of needing to use the restroom or get a snack, then ask someone else in the park at random to snap photos for you. I know if I was approached, I would do it in a heart beat for a stranger! :banana:

Just look for someone with a camera (maybe another couple by themselves or a mom! I know in the past when we are on a trip, I have willing snapped photographs for a couple or a group of people I didn't know just so that everyone could be in the photograph. You can volunteer to take someone's photograph for them and they will be more than happy to take one for you. Just choose someone wisely, there is always the chance someone might run off with your camera. :confused3

Not sure if this has been posted. But you can look for suggestions on the Mousesavers Weddings & Honeymoons site. I don’t think I can type the link here, but if you google ‘Mouse Weddings’ you should be able to access the site. It actually has a romantic things to do / places to propose list. I’m happy for you & wish you an amazing married life! :goodvibes

Good luck! Beauty and the Beast hang out at the perfume shop in France (or at least they used to!)

Forgot to say thanks for the info.

I proposed to my now wife, at the Magic Kingdom. I had things pretty well planned out, but in the end had to quickly improvise. I had the ring. I had a special ring box (sorcerer mickey-her favorite). I had it in my back pack. Had a friend with a video camera to record the moment.
My plan was to go to the wishing well, behind Cinderella's castle and to have her make a wish. When she turned around, I would ask her what she wished for? when she said she wouldn't tell... I was going to say (getting down on one knee) I wish for you to marry me. Sounded perfect and it would have been, but for a small detail I didn't think of. (We are a same sex couple so I did not want to cause any problems for families with small children) When we were finally in that area of the park... there was one of the fairies greeting and getting photo's with a long line of children right next to the fountain. So I went to the other side of the castle and found a beautiful rose bush. My friend told my (now wife) I was over the other side and needed to see her. She came over I told her to smell the beautiful rose, got down on my knee and proposed... it was just as beautiful and worked out fine. Not exactly what I wanted, but it worked. Every year we go back to the spot and share a hug and kiss at that spot. Only problem (its a smoking area, so that kinda stinks--- literally). Disney is an awesome place to get engaged and no matter where or how you do it, it will always be perfect and totally yours.

Congratulations and thankyou for sharing that with us :thumbsup2

I didn't read all of the posts so I appologize if someone already mentioned these...

my fiance proposed and set it up through a company called gifts of a lifetime
there were a bunch of options and i know one of them was that they could come knock on the door in the morning to take me on a scavenger hunt or they would have put the ring in the treasure chest i ended up finding (they guarded everything and just looked like regular guests)

also, if you do it somewhere that would be a photo spot anyway, tell ur gf u want to take a pic... go to anyone who speaks English and ask them to take a pic... once ur gf starts walking to the spot pretend to explain something to them about how the camera works, but really tell them you are about to propose so make sure to get the picture

im not sure if you can set anything up with beauty and the beast. obviously you could carry the ring around daily until you found them for meet and greets have ur gf take a pic with them alone and while shes taking the pic, tell the CM that you are about to propose and ask if she can somehow go talk to the characters before you get in the pic. call your gf back to you in the line for some obsurd reason while the CM tells the characters, then get in for a group pic and propose with them in the picture. thats the best i could think of.. sorry

I have heard of Gifts of a lifetime. I am not 100% sure on using them though. Seems very expensive and most of the things I have read have been about having to scavenger hunt and find clues for a few hours until the person finds the item. I think she would kill me if I took her on a mad dash around the park :rotfl2: I did think about using their services to have a space on the beach set up with a mini picnic and bottle of champagne so we could watch wishes and do it then. This wouldnt be obvious to my girlfriend as she likes to picnic. Just not sure if they could or would do that as a service.

The beauty and the beast thing could work, I have heard about it happening before. I believe someone else on the dis did something similar and it worked quite well. I could call her back from the characters and say the camera isnt working properly or something. Might work. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think it is wonderful that you are planning your proposal! It is definitely something the two of you will remember forever! And of course you and she will enjoy sharing the story of how you proposed to friends and family!

I am so happy to hear that you intend to get down on one knee to propose to her! Believe me that is one dream most girls have all their lives. :cloud9:

I was fortunate that my DH and sweetie of over 21 years proposed to me on bended knee. He and I will never forget the moment. We had some friends close by so one of them took pictures. :cheer2:

In your case, I think if you talked to one of the photo cast members ahead of time they would most likely be more than happy to be on hand to take pictures. I bet if you asked the day you went to the part at guest services or called ahead they might help prearrange the photographer to meet you at the designated spot. :thumbsup2

Otherwise, right before you do, casually go off by yourself for a moment on the pretense of needing to use the restroom or get a snack, then ask someone else in the park at random to snap photos for you. I know if I was approached, I would do it in a heart beat for a stranger! :banana:

Just look for someone with a camera (maybe another couple by themselves or a mom! I know in the past when we are on a trip, I have willing snapped photographs for a couple or a group of people I didn't know just so that everyone could be in the photograph. You can volunteer to take someone's photograph for them and they will be more than happy to take one for you. Just choose someone wisely, there is always the chance someone might run off with your camera. :confused3

I know what you mean, have to be cautious nowadays, I think I would stick to a CM. We do actually offer to take group pictures if we see some body standing out and taking a pic of the rest of the party. I think it's just something people should do anyways. What I might do is speak with the resort lobby after we check in, i'll go and get her some snacks and hot chocolate after we get to the room and see if they can suggest anything or prep the room a little for me with an order to disney florist perhaps. Also I am going to go to the Magic Kingdom on the same day and go to city hall. I can get away with telling her im going to get a haircut on main street and will be back soon with food ;) Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

Not sure if this has been posted. But you can look for suggestions on the Mousesavers Weddings & Honeymoons site. I don’t think I can type the link here, but if you google ‘Mouse Weddings’ you should be able to access the site. It actually has a romantic things to do / places to propose list. I’m happy for you & wish you an amazing married life! :goodvibes

I will have a look at that site, thanks very much for the suggestion and good wishes:goodvibes

another way to get ideas is to go to youtube and search disney proposals. I did it the other day just to see what would happen and there were some good ideas. if you couldn't get her away from the characters, you could most definitely just propose while taking the pic. the characters are clearly good actors/actresses and will definitely respond to it I'm sure. Just make sure to let the person taking the pics know what you are planning to do so they get the right pic!

I have heard of the picnic on the beach thing. I think my fiance was going to do that but since we were with 2 of our friends, he knew I would be suspicious if we either abandoned them or if all four of us were having a romantic picnic haha

good luck!

another way to get ideas is to go to youtube and search disney proposals. I did it the other day just to see what would happen and there were some good ideas. if you couldn't get her away from the characters, you could most definitely just propose while taking the pic. the characters are clearly good actors/actresses and will definitely respond to it I'm sure. Just make sure to let the person taking the pics know what you are planning to do so they get the right pic!

I have heard of the picnic on the beach thing. I think my fiance was going to do that but since we were with 2 of our friends, he knew I would be suspicious if we either abandoned them or if all four of us were having a romantic picnic haha

good luck!

I have seen some on youtube before but will refresh my memory, thanks for the suggestion. I wouldnt mind if we went with another couple, that way it is probably easier to sneak around ;)

I am getting the ring tomorrow:woohoo:

I will post some pictures if I get a second. Time for realisation and the nervousness to set in:scared:

We go away in 4 weeks now and I really have to decide how to do this.

Oh well, will post pics tomorrow:thumbsup2

I am getting the ring tomorrow:woohoo:

I will post some pictures if I get a second. Time for realisation and the nervousness to set in:scared:

We go away in 4 weeks now and I really have to decide how to do this.

Oh well, will post pics tomorrow:thumbsup2

Yay! How exciting!! I can't wait to see pics.

Wow - I've just skimmed this whole thing, and there's a lot going on!

First of all congrats! :) And while I'm not a girl, I do have some tips/ideas for you.

- I know you've said this - but propose early. I did it on my second day of our Disney vacation and was freaking out :lmao:

- Be genuine. This is probably more important than when you propose. You can plan to say some big elaborate thing but once you get down on that knee, kiss your thoughts goodbye.

- You probably won't be able to get Belle & Stitch in the same photo. Since they're from different movies (and themes for that matter) they won't be spotted together. Try one or the other (I also thought you mentioned Pooh at one point as well).

- Utilize the CMs! kellypooh graciously linked to my thread, but they're wonderful! Talk to them early in the day, wherever you plan to propose. (And here's a good tip...at least what I used: tell your DGF that you're not feeling well (usually after breakfast or a crazy ride) and that you need to use the restroom..tell her it might be a while and that you'll meet her at _____. This way you have a way to sneak off to talk to a CM and meet her somewhere away from where you'll be running off to).

- Use photopass - especially if you're pre-ordering it. If they know the big moment is gonna happen, they'll shoot the heck out if it (think about it - the more great pics they take, the more you'll potentially buy)

- When bringing the ring into the park, put it in a bag or backpack that you can carry in. OR wear shorts/pants with large cargo pants. The security guards checking bags will quickly shoo you along if they see that ring box. And if you think of it, line jump to another line so that she doesn't have the opportunity to see the ring either.

I got two ideas.

The first is just based off what others had said (and your mentioning of Pooh early on). If you were to use the bridge in Japan, stand there to "take a break". Then, in trying to be cute, suggest playing Pooh sticks (where you both drop sticks on one side of the bridge - where the stream is coming from - and run to the other side to see who's shows up first. If you do this, drop the sticks and hurry over to the other side. But pull back just a second before the sticks appear, and get down on one knee. When she turns around to see if you saw which one won, she'll realize that you're both the real winner.

The second idea would be in France (since she likes B&B so much). Not sure what type of French food you like, but there's a little bakery where you can get baugettes & cheese and wine. Just outside of that bakery is a patio area, which is typically quiet and not too crowded. You could go out there, have a snack, and when you go to get up to leave (specifically when she stands up) get down on one knee and ask her. (if you talk to a CM you might be able to get Belle and/or a photopass photographer).

I was just sticking with the Epcot theme for now - if I think of something else, I'll let you know.

Good luck and please keep us informed of how everything goes!

Spin

Wow - I've just skimmed this whole thing, and there's a lot going on!

First of all congrats! :) And while I'm not a girl, I do have some tips/ideas for you. - Thanks and congrats to you! I actually had a read of your thread when it was linked here. You must have been panicking all day wondering if anything was being done and trying to keep cool. Hats off to you sir.

- I know you've said this - but propose early. I did it on my second day of our Disney vacation and was freaking out :lmao: - I got the ring yesterday and i am already nervous just looking at it :rotfl2:

- Be genuine. This is probably more important than when you propose. You can plan to say some big elaborate thing but once you get down on that knee, kiss your thoughts goodbye. - I have thought about that and i know whatever i plan to say is not going to come out right so, I am going to go with the flow and the moment and not plan my words. I'll be fine im sure.

- You probably won't be able to get Belle & Stitch in the same photo. Since they're from different movies (and themes for that matter) they won't be spotted together. Try one or the other (I also thought you mentioned Pooh at one point as well). - Her fave movie is Beauty & the beast but she has soft spots for pooh bear and stitch. I dont need to have a character really,it would be quite difficult to arrange as it's just the two of us.

- Utilize the CMs! kellypooh graciously linked to my thread, but they're wonderful! Talk to them early in the day, wherever you plan to propose. (And here's a good tip...at least what I used: tell your DGF that you're not feeling well (usually after breakfast or a crazy ride) and that you need to use the restroom..tell her it might be a while and that you'll meet her at _____. This way you have a way to sneak off to talk to a CM and meet her somewhere away from where you'll be running off to). - I don't think it would work very well for us. She has this thing where she can't be alone shopping for 5 minutes without needing me with her so going abroad and sneaking off would be tricky.....I am going to try though. I figured the day after we land we are at MK soooo, I am going to send her to the bakery to get breakfast whilst i run to city hall and speak with someone. Fingers crossed i get a nice CM otherwise i'll wait until Epcot on the Friday. Also a future CM to be posted back on the first page but never came back to this thread. I was going to ask her for some help.

- Use photopass - especially if you're pre-ordering it. If they know the big moment is gonna happen, they'll shoot the heck out if it (think about it - the more great pics they take, the more you'll potentially buy) - We are getting photopass for the first time and it would be nice to utilise the CM to capture the moment. I saw yours and dont think I could do that in front of so many people lol. How did you feel at the time with everyone staring at you? Or was it pretty low key?

- When bringing the ring into the park, put it in a bag or backpack that you can carry in. OR wear shorts/pants with large cargo pants. The security guards checking bags will quickly shoo you along if they see that ring box. And if you think of it, line jump to another line so that she doesn't have the opportunity to see the ring either. - I'm going to put it in my pocket and let her go ahead of me and branch off to the next attendant as there's always two or more. I'll just show them the box and hope he/she 'gets' it.

I got two ideas.

The first is just based off what others had said (and your mentioning of Pooh early on). If you were to use the bridge in Japan, stand there to "take a break". Then, in trying to be cute, suggest playing Pooh sticks (where you both drop sticks on one side of the bridge - where the stream is coming from - and run to the other side to see who's shows up first. If you do this, drop the sticks and hurry over to the other side. But pull back just a second before the sticks appear, and get down on one knee. When she turns around to see if you saw which one won, she'll realize that you're both the real winner. - I really love this idea. I can't believe I didn't think of Pooh sticks! Thanks for that. it could just work. Only downside to it is that there won't be any oppurtunity to capture the moment on camera. Great suggestion though:thumbsup2

The second idea would be in France (since she likes B&B so much). Not sure what type of French food you like, but there's a little bakery where you can get baugettes & cheese and wine. Just outside of that bakery is a patio area, which is typically quiet and not too crowded. You could go out there, have a snack, and when you go to get up to leave (specifically when she stands up) get down on one knee and ask her. (if you talk to a CM you might be able to get Belle and/or a photopass photographer). - I guess it could work, be tricky but ill note it down.

I was just sticking with the Epcot theme for now - if I think of something else, I'll let you know. - Cool, thanks for your help and congrats to you again.

Good luck and please keep us informed of how everything goes!
Spin

I will try to upload some pics if I can find a decent camera! Thanks again.

i love this thread this is so sweet df proposed to me on our trip 2 weeks ago he did all the running around planning with me not knowing

i guess you have seen on the mouseweddings the cinderella royal table proposal package thats what he did for me

about having cm help if you can email disney and ask for the events co ordinator for epcot they can help sort out all types of things i dont know how you would go about it but when df proposed he spoke to event co ordinators so i guess epcot will have one

another way which would be really sweet is in coral reef with a diver comes down with a message

hope that is of some help to you x x x

oh also i forgot to mention my engagement ring came out in a glass slipper around a rose inside the slipper the slipper was engraved with our names date of our engagement and happily ever after but may be you could have will you marry me

even if you dont have this in the proposal you could buy one after just for a souvigner of your trip i love my slipper i show it to every one lol x x

i love this thread this is so sweet df proposed to me on our trip 2 weeks ago he did all the running around planning with me not knowing

i guess you have seen on the mouseweddings the cinderella royal table proposal package thats what he did for me

about having cm help if you can email disney and ask for the events co ordinator for epcot they can help sort out all types of things i dont know how you would go about it but when df proposed he spoke to event co ordinators so i guess epcot will have one

another way which would be really sweet is in coral reef with a diver comes down with a message

hope that is of some help to you x x x

Congratulations on your engagement :) I never expected this thread to get as many replies as it has. I bumped it from the 4th page recently and it's always nice when people re post in it to keep it alive.

An events coordinator? i didnt think they had one of those available to the public. do you think he had to pay an arm and a leg for it?:scared:

I might give it a try, would you happen to know the customer relations email address by any chance? Otherwise I will just email the main address and hope it gets a reply.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Yeah they have events coordinators...they're the CMs! :)

I'm sure they have people with that specific title ("Events Coordinator") but using a CM is great, because they get to do something different and special for a guest, and it doesn't cost you a dime. And if you've got an idea, and all you need is a photographer, believe me, a CM will work with you to get one there.

Here's the number to Disney Guest Relations (407-824-4321). I think you said it was gonna be sometime in December, so you might want to wait a little while before calling (because they got so much going on, it's almost better to wait till closer to the date).

I got more I want to respond to, but I gotta leave for work 5 minutes ago. :laughing: I'll write more later when I can.

Spin

he just emailed the main address saying that he wanted to propose and they gave him a list of options they had and he chose the CRT one it didnt cost him anything to plan it or speak to any one just the engagemnet packages cm's are really nice people i have read on here that a family watched fantasmic and got talking to a cm and her mum and dad told the cm that her bf was coming to propose the next day the cm got involved sorted out the bf to get in the park for free for her to be in the parade and loads of other things i will find the link for you

Cool. Well I emailed a few hours ago so fingers crossed i get a response. I never got a response from disney florist though. i want to decorate the room for when we get back after the proposal happens.

you could ring or email the hotel you are staying and tell them that you have tried to contact them and that you have had no response and would be really gratefull if they could help arrange something for you disney hotel staff are so helpful when asking for things like this

i read that some one told the staff where they were stayin that he was proposing and told them she liked towel animals and they did her laods and decorated the room x

Ok I managed to get hold of a camera and these are the best i could do until i get a decent one tomorrow. It's an edwardian style ring from a posh jewellers in London. It wont stop sparkling lol so the flash just bounces straight off. it's quite difficult to take a pic of lol so, sorry for the quality!

DSCF0930.jpg

DSCF0931.jpg

DSCF0932.jpg

DSCF0936.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter