Proposing - Help and suggestions required.

Soopafly

DIS Veteran
Good morning ladies & gentlemen of the weddings & honeymoon board. I am needing your guidance and wisdom in a not so small matter of proposal.

My girlfriend and I will be heading to the world on 12/02 - 12/16 staying at CSR and I would like to propose to her on this trip. We are 23 and 22 (yes very young but we have been together for 7 years already) and are very much in love.

So far I have ordered the ring and been making little notes here and there of special locations in Disney that would make a nice proposal spot. The problem I am having is finding something unique and special that I have't yet already read about several times. I don't want to copy somebody else's idea as that takes the magic away from them (in my opinion).

I was hoping that you lovely ladies could assist me in brain storming and together we could think of something special. Something she will be proud, happy and excited to tell people about.

So far all I can really narrow it down to, is the bridge in Japan or somewhere in China because she loves Singapore and Asia. Or the beach at the Poly after dinner at Kona Cafe, maybe with a bottle of champagne and watch the fireworks.

I also would like to know what are the do's and don't when it comes to proposing? What makes a good proposal and what should I avoid doing at all costs? She is a shy person so I dont think we could have a very large crowd around us. 10-20 people im sure she could handle but maybe not hundreds...

So now that essay is typed up I ask for any opinions, thoughts, suggestions or help you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

there arn't any wrong ways of proposing unless its at a kfc or something. the key is to make it personal so do somethng thats special for both of you.

if she likes asia then china/japan in epcot sounds nice. i have heard great things from people who have approached cast members asking for their help. they can help to make things really special if you have something in mind.

oooooh and try to do it in a way so she doesn't suspect a thing. I mean me and my boyfriend (fingers crossed for the day he asks me) don't go out for fancy dinners so if he told me to get dressed up for dinner i would know something is up! so maybe try not doing anything to out of the ordinary for you two!

good luck can't wait to hear what you come up with!

I agree with Tink. If my bf asked me to get dressed up because he was taking me somewhere fancy I wouls know immediately that something was up! (That doesn't say much for DB's romantic side does it?!) :rotfl:

I think the best way is to be genuine, say whatever you feel, we ladies really do appreciate hearing how you feel about us, guys are usually more laid back and think we somehow "know" how you're feeling an what you're thinking!

DEFINITELY approach a cast member or two, especially in the Epcot Pavillions. I'm going out there to work in the UK on the same day you guys arrive, so if you want any help in that area I can give you some great contact details of people I knwo over there.

One friend helped some guests with a great birthday surprise, saying that a manager had been trying to get hold of them all day and that they'd finally tracked them down on the phone. He led the lady to the phone where he had dialled a special cast member number and Mickey was on the other end with a special greeting - it made her day! Maybe try something like this?

Other than that, you could try proposing on a ride where they have cameras, and do it right before the picture is taken, then you'll have the moment captured forever...and it'll probably look really funny too!

Good luck, can't wait to hear more ideas :lovestruc

I agree with Tink. If my bf asked me to get dressed up because he was taking me somewhere fancy I wouls know immediately that something was up! (That doesn't say much for DB's romantic side does it?!) :rotfl:

I think the best way is to be genuine, say whatever you feel, we ladies really do appreciate hearing how you feel about us, guys are usually more laid back and think we somehow "know" how you're feeling an what you're thinking!

DEFINITELY approach a cast member or two, especially in the Epcot Pavillions. I'm going out there to work in the UK on the same day you guys arrive, so if you want any help in that area I can give you some great contact details of people I knwo over there.

One friend helped some guests with a great birthday surprise, saying that a manager had been trying to get hold of them all day and that they'd finally tracked them down on the phone. He led the lady to the phone where he had dialled a special cast member number and Mickey was on the other end with a special greeting - it made her day! Maybe try something like this?

Other than that, you could try proposing on a ride where they have cameras, and do it right before the picture is taken, then you'll have the moment captured forever...and it'll probably look really funny too!

Good luck, can't wait to hear more ideas :lovestruc

Wow that sounds awesome, I hope your new job goes great! To be honest, I would really appreciate help out there if you were able to give any. I was planning on doing it in Epcot on Friday December 5th. We have a 1pm lunch reservation at Nine Dragons and then dinner at The Rose & Crown at 8:30. I think Illuminations is on at 9:30 but I dont think I can afford to rent a whole boat just for the two of us. If I could ever make it happen, I would like to get Belle and The Beast involved somehow. B&B is her favorite Disney movie.

Would you by any chance be working with Winnie the Pooh in his greeting area in the U.K? I apologise for the 20 questions, your post has actually made me happier knowing there may be a slight possibliity that I can get CM help:woohoo:

What a sweet guy you are to get advice on the proposal to make it special! Sorry I don't have suggestions on the "where" but I do for the "how"

Make sure you get down on one knee and actually ask her. I have a friend who has been married almost 4 years now and still complains that her husband never actually asked - he just handed her a ring box. She even said to him "aren't you going to ask me?" and his response was "why? I know you'll say yes" - Tacky, tacky, tacky!

If she's shy I would definitely avoid crowds. Some girls like getting proposed to in front of friends and strangers (we have friends who have done that) but DH knew that wasn't my thing. I was very glad DH proposed on a beach at night with no one around. It was very romantic being just the two of us.

Pick some place you both like. Being from the UK you probably won't get to Disney too often, but your proposal spot should be a place you want to visit over and over. DH and I go to that spot on the beach at least once a year.

I was so out of it that day that I never dreamed he was going to propose. We had plans for a nice dinner (we used to go to nice dinners a couple times a month - LOL - used to :rotfl: ) so we were a little dressed up. DH bought a bottle of champagne and those little plastic champagne flutes and I was oblivious! After dinner he wanted to walk on the beach and he proposed and then we had the champagne. It really never occured to me that he would propose that night - so if she's a little dense in the romantic stuff (like me!) don't worry about the surprise, but if you think she'll pick up on it, then do it when she least expects it. (BTW I still keep those plastic champagne flutes in our china cabinet!)

You may want to do it early in the trip so you two can celebrate the rest of the time and you won't be nervous about the proposal too long!

Best Wishes!!

it was so nice of you to ask for advice on proposals. makes you more deserving of your would-be wife.:love:

from a lady's point of you, the only thing i can tell you is to tell her that you love her because you love her. no other reason is needed for loving. and this is the reason why you want to spend the rest of eternity with her. :love:

I wonder if there's any way you could arrange it with the Japan "Pick a pearl" thing... Anyone who has actually been there have any thoughts? I've just heard about it from the disboards (I haven't been to epcot since I was 5, heh).

JandJ - Thankyou very much for your post and compliment. I do intend to get down on one knee. Because it is the traditional thing to do and because she said to me once that she could never picture me down on one knee if I proposed to her:rotfl:

I would really like to get a character involved somehow. Though it is probably not possible, it would be quite special I think. She knows I want to watch Wishes with some cocktails or champagne from the Poly bar on the beach so that wouldn't give the game away if I did decide to do it like that.

Thank you to everyone who has posted so far, you have all contributed to my cause for which I am very grateful for :thumbsup2....................But keep the posts coming, I have just over a month to prepare for this ;)

it was so nice of you to ask for advice on proposals. makes you more deserving of your would-be wife.:love:

from a lady's point of you, the only thing i can tell you is to tell her that you love her because you love her. no other reason is needed for loving. and this is the reason why you want to spend the rest of eternity with her. :love:

Don't worry, i tell her all the time. I think the word gets thrown around too much these days so I am sure she knows I mean it. I have actually read through the whole of Lynn5700 's wedding & honeymoon report as inspiration to create this topic lol. I need all the help I can get and I dont trust myself to do this on my own. I need all of your advice if I am going to do this properly :goodvibes

I wonder if there's any way you could arrange it with the Japan "Pick a pearl" thing... Anyone who has actually been there have any thoughts? I've just heard about it from the disboards (I haven't been to epcot since I was 5, heh).

Hmm I had thought of it as well. The problem is that I did this for her last year. She got 2 pearls, one went on a gecko pendant and chain. The other was in an oyster shell pendant. I went to Disney when I was 12, my aunt got married over there but we never went to Epcot. I could see Spaceship Earth from Summit Plummit and thought it was a golfing centre :lmao:

oh my god i love that idea! you could put your ring in special oyster(obviously pre organised!) and say that you think you will pick a perfect one for her and when they open it you could say 'look it is perfect- will you marry me?'

ahh that would be so sweet!

oh my god i love that idea! you could put your ring in special oyster(obviously pre organised!) and say that you think you will pick a perfect one for her and when they open it you could say 'look it is perfect- will you marry me?'

ahh that would be so sweet!

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking! But like I said, I've never been there, so I have no idea how feasible that would be

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking! But like I said, I've never been there, so I have no idea how feasible that would be

I think it would have to be done in downtown disney rather than Epcot. It might be a bit harder to organise in Epcot I think.

I just came across some old posts regarding disney engagement packages, am I right in assuming they no longer offer these paid for services?

I have also read about the rose garden in the Magic Kingdom, does anyone have pictures of this they could share?

Lastly, I have been reading up on the Xmas party and wondered if there are any places set up during the party that would make a good spot to propose? 'snow' falling etc...

See I love the idea of on the beach at Poly watching the fireworks, such a personal moment.

If you are at the Rose and Crown for dinner could they do something for you there whilst the fireworks are going off.

Have you looked at the disney florist website to see what packages they offer?

hi there, I have looked on there before and saw a few nice things but wasn't sure if they did anything with regards to setting up a surprise in the park or on a restaurant. Do they decorate your room ? I will look at the link soonbut am at the zoo right now ;)

They decorated our room on our wedding night. And I have heard that they have delivered stuff to resorts to help with proposals. Not sure about in park stuff but I'm sure if you call them they will tell you want they can do. Let us know how you get on

that sounds pretty cool actually. What do you think of having dinner and watching fireworks from the poly beach, then going back to the room with it decorated by the florist? If I did that, where would be best to propose? Beach or room?

I just returned from my Disney trip in August where my fiance proposed to me in Epcot. Just for a little back story it was on our first actually day in the parks and we had spent our day in AK. We had already planned that since AK closed so early we would all (me, my fiance, and our three friends) would head over to Epcot since they had extra magic hours. We quickly ran over to world showcase to try and find a spot for Illuminations. It was right after the fireworks that he tapped me on the shoulder and when I turned around he was on one knee with the ring in hand. It was actually very nice because I also, like your girlfriend, am kinda shy and don't like a whole lot of attention and I'm fairly certain no one around us even noticed since it was kinda dark. :rotfl: So Epcot could be very nice for something a little more low key but still with beautiful backdrops to a perfect proposal.

that is a very nice story, thankyou for sharing :)

We are going for 2 weeks and I would also like to do this early in the trip. Even thining about it makes me a little nervous. I am guessing your friends were around to capture the moment on camera? I would like that for us but it is just the two of us going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter