Princess Weekend 2023 (Feb 23-26, 2023)

Am I the only person who has started packing already?
Not quite packing but I have started to make my piles. I like to pile up everything I need for a trip, then pack it all at the last minute. If I pack too soon I always have to reopen my suitcase before I go, just to double check that everything is there!

Also did a quick "tiara check" run on the treadmill yesterday. The kids thought that was hilarious.

All of them, the challenge

If you have done the Challenge training and you haven't needed more than a bit before the run, you might just be one of those people who doesn't need much. My brother doesn't even take water during a Half.

And this is just b/c I saw someone surprised by this in a FB group...the Challenge is the 10K and the half. Not the 5K.

Now I just need to find some inexpensive foam or towel or blanket to sit on while waiting for the race to start.

Those jackets sound like a neat idea. Not sure I'd need 10 though LOL. (I think you menitoned it was a pack of 10 in a previous post)

Find someone who did yoga but doesn't want the mat. Cut it up. Voila, inexpensive thing to sit on.

I have no idea how to get there early. I cannot do headstand.

Either drive to the TTC parking lot very early so you're one of the first checked in and on the ferry. Or be first on the bus so you're up front and get up there. But last year we didn't know how it would go, didn't jockey for position, and got lovely spots. They have other teachers scattered around for you to follow.

I literally did my 200 hour yoga teacher training and still can't do a headstand. Or a good mermaid. My psoas is too tight for mermaid; someday I'll get some serious massage to release it, but today is not that day.

My training plan changed after COVID ruined my marathon attempt.

Hugs. I had that January 2022. Did Princess. Well, did the 10K of the challenge at least. It wasn't until October that I felt my heart rate was normal for exercising. First time I've ever paid for a gym membership but not used it for months!

Not so much packing as accumulating important things in various places.

Not quite packing but I have started to make my piles.

Yep to both of those things. It's in a staging area for packing.

I have no idea how to get there early. I cannot do headstand.

Also not happening. My training plan changed after COVID ruined my marathon attempt. I’m going to walk the 5k with my friend.
Challenge: I am doing this with my friend as a celebration for getting our PhDs. He has not really run before (I think he did a 5k once) but has a goal of improving his fitness. My goal is to help him through it and to train with him so he can enjoy the weekend.
I still don’t have my PhD. But my friend does. He has not really been training, and this is his first race ever. I’m going to do the 10k with him but we talked about me doing my own thing for the half. Since I didn’t get to do the marathon this year, I want to take advantage of my CrD corral and just do my own thing to soak it in. He said he was fine with that.

I am going to be representing the princess of each race… and I am pretty excited about my costumes.

No. But I weigh in the 211-213 range which is the lowest I’ve been since I have moved to Ohio in 2016.
I'm with you both on that last one. I was at my lowest weight in ten years going into MW a year ago. I did my post-race dining without care about carbs, but unfortunately continued to be a bit lax after returning home from Disney.
I am now back below 210 (barely) with the goal of getting myself below 200 later this year. It is a struggle and DNA and age are both conspiring against me....

Y’all, I’m freaking out a little. This is my first HM in 6 years. In the past I followed Jeff Galloway plans. This time I decided to use a plan on my garmin watch and this thing hasn’t had me run more than 8 miles yet. I’m going to bump it up this weekend and try to do the full 13/14 but I’m also pacing pretty slow: 15:30/14:30 depending if you’re looking at my watch or Runkeeper. I didn’t have a time to submit so God only knows what corral I’ll be in! Is there a “safe” point where they don’t sweep anymore? Like no sweeps after 11mi?

Y’all, I’m freaking out a little. This is my first HM in 6 years. In the past I followed Jeff Galloway plans. This time I decided to use a plan on my garmin watch and this thing hasn’t had me run more than 8 miles yet. I’m going to bump it up this weekend and try to do the full 13/14 but I’m also pacing pretty slow: 15:30/14:30 depending if you’re looking at my watch or Runkeeper. I didn’t have a time to submit so God only knows what corral I’ll be in! Is there a “safe” point where they don’t sweep anymore? Like no sweeps after 11mi?
I’ve heard before once you get to the final park you are golden but I’ve also heard of major sweeping in the final park during mw

You are never safe until you cross the finish line. They were sweeping very close to the finish line MW for the 10K, Half and Full. If you belong to any of the FB RunDisney groups do a search and you will see just how close they were to the finish and were still swept.

ETA: screenshot from a FB group. Person ran at 2023 MW

1676643840155.jpeg

Last edited:
This time I decided to use a plan on my garmin watch and this thing hasn’t had me run more than 8 miles yet. I’m going to bump it up this weekend and try to do the full 13/14

My opinion, don't do the 13/14 mile run this weekend. We're too close to race day at this point. It takes 7-10 days to fully realize the benefits of a single training run, and about 4-6 weeks to fully realize the gains of training week. The 13/14 mile run you would do this weekend will cause more physical harm than it will physical benefits. Assuredly there could be some mental gains from it, but my opinion is those mental gains would be outweighed by the recovery necessary from it. You may still be feeling some aftereffects from the 13-14 mile run physiologically by the time race day comes up. If you've been doing your training runs around a 15 min/mile, then the 8 mile run has taken you about 2 hours. That's a sufficient endurance run to prepare the body aerobically for completing a HM.

Presumably the 15 min/mile pace is not all out effort either if the Garmin has been suggesting an appropriate training pace for long runs. So if you attempt to run at a 15 min/mile pace on race day, then you should be more than fine to cover the 13 miles. This assumes that the 15 min/mile long run pace is appropriate. Have you done any other races recently that would be a good judge of current fitness?

I didn’t have a time to submit so God only knows what corral I’ll be in!

This is the most recent POT and estimate corral assignment educated guess.

screen-shot-2023-01-12-at-8-21-29-am-png.731439

Your corral assignment depends on what you put for the estimated finish at registration. If you put 2:15-2:30, then you'll be in Corral C. If you put 3:00-3:15, then you'll likely be in Corral F. I just went into my race registration for Princess 2023 and can see what I put. So you should be able to log in to your runDisney account and see what you put for your estimated finish. Then use the chart above to get a pretty good idea where you'll be slotted.

My longest training run for my half over the summer was 9 or 10mi. My longest long run for marathon/Dopey training was 13mi. If you've trained consistently, you'll be OK.
As the quote from Bree above states, there are no "safe" points from being swept. In a few recent podcasts the balloon ladies have even said that people need to stop saying things like once you make it to Epcot you won't be swept and that you are not safe until you cross the finish line.

With that being said, you paces should keep you well ahead of the sweepers, and you can also give yourself a little bit of a cushion by getting to your start corral early so you can be near the front. Depending on what you put in for your estimated finish time this could be a few minutes ahead of the balloon ladies, or 15-30min ahead of them. And if you end up having a rough day, jump in with a pace group so you don't have to think about anything.

It may also be worthwhile to setting your watch to "manual lap" and pushing the lap button at each mile marker since it's normal/common to run further than 13.1mi, and it can be easy to "lose" a few minutes due to this discrepancy. (As an example, when I ran the half during MW, my garmin says that my pace for mile 7 was 13:32, but it actually took my 13:49 because I ran 1.02mi from mile marker 6 to mile marker 7.)

If it won't give you counter-productive anxiety, you can also track the 3:30 pace group (you can sign up for text alerts via the email option if you run with your phone) to know how far ahead of them you are, as they are usually a minute or 2 ahead of the balloon ladies. And you can do "runner math" based on when you crossed a timing mat, when the pacer crossed the timing mat, and how many miles there are to go.

My opinion, don't do the 13/14 mile run this weekend. We're too close to race day at this point. It takes 7-10 days to fully realize the benefits of a single training run, and about 4-6 weeks to fully realize the gains of training week. The 13/14 mile run you would do this weekend will cause more physical harm than it will physical benefits. Assuredly there could be some mental gains from it, but my opinion is those mental gains would be outweighed by the recovery necessary from it. You may still be feeling some aftereffects from the 13-14 mile run physiologically by the time race day comes up. If you've been doing your training runs around a 15 min/mile, then the 8 mile run has taken you about 2 hours. That's a sufficient endurance run to prepare the body aerobically for completing a HM.

Presumably the 15 min/mile pace is not all out effort either if the Garmin has been suggesting an appropriate training pace for long runs. So if you attempt to run at a 15 min/mile pace on race day, then you should be more than fine to cover the 13 miles. This assumes that the 15 min/mile long run pace is appropriate. Have you done any other races recently that would be a good judge of current fitness?

This is the most recent POT and estimate corral assignment educated guess.

screen-shot-2023-01-12-at-8-21-29-am-png.731439

Your corral assignment depends on what you put for the estimated finish at registration. If you put 2:15-2:30, then you'll be in Corral C. If you put 3:00-3:15, then you'll likely be in Corral F. I just went into my race registration for Princess 2023 and can see what I put. So you should be able to log in to your runDisney account and see what you put for your estimated finish. Then use the chart above to get a pretty good idea where you'll be slotted.
Dittos to what DB said. If you are/have been doing 8 miles, then in terms of a half-marathon you are more than halfway there (cue the Bon Jovi) and have built up the needed endurance. (Spoken as the poster child for under training). And if you do any photo stops, then factor those in as running breaks instead of what the watch says.

My additional 2-cents worth:
1. Scoot at best pace possible at race start to build up some buffer. If in the early miles you can keep going without a walk break, then IMHO stay with the faster pace knowing that you'll do the walk break while in a photo line
2. Pick and choose your photo stops so that a character with a long line doesn't get you swept
3. Use the watch as a guide of keeping an eye on pace, but primarily rely on eyeballs to check your six for balloons.
4. Your 14-15min/mile pace is more than sufficient to stay in front of the balloon ladies even if they get right on your bumper (for instance as you finish a photo stop). If you see them come into view while in a photo line, you probably want to forego the photo and get back to running/walking (unless you are at the front of said line)
5. You got this

The colors are great. Nothing I really want except for the Corkcicle wine cup. I love the travel style ones like that. Keeps bugs out of my wine outside LOL

I love the designs, but I have to wonder why they're not showing the HM "I Did It!" in a short sleeve shirt. Is there a chance that they're only selling the long sleeve shirt that is pictured?

My opinion, don't do the 13/14 mile run this weekend. We're too close to race day at this point. It takes 7-10 days to fully realize the benefits of a single training run, and about 4-6 weeks to fully realize the gains of training week. The 13/14 mile run you would do this weekend will cause more physical harm than it will physical benefits. Assuredly there could be some mental gains from it, but my opinion is those mental gains would be outweighed by the recovery necessary from it. You may still be feeling some aftereffects from the 13-14 mile run physiologically by the time race day comes up.

Definitely listen to THIS!!! ⬆️⬆️⬆️ Rest is the most important thing at this point.

@lzimm13 You've probably got a touch of taper madness going on. Don't do anything new or anything stupid and it will all be fine. If you are worried about pacing, use the tried-and-true technique of getting to the corrals as soon as they open and get as close to the front as you can. If you do that and stay under a 16 minute mile, you will be golden. Also, don't make the mistake of going out too fast. Conserve your energy so that you have it at the end when you need it.

One other piece of advice that my coach gave me during Dopey - if you get "caught" by the 3:30 pace group, stay with them!!! They are great pacers and they will get you across the finish line.

I love the designs, but I have to wonder why they're not showing the HM "I Did It!" in a short sleeve shirt. Is there a chance that they're only selling the long sleeve shirt that is pictured?
I doubt it, they‘re just giving us a sample

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter