• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Princess Jes' Official (narcissistic) trip planning thread (help and advise required!)

Summer Slam? If you see Undertaker tell him he still owes me $200 for that night in Reno. Cheap SOB skipped out on me and left me to deal with the police and that body to hide.

Of course Heidi!!!!

Ok, so this is the trip itinerary:
August 18
9:25am (local time) - Leave Melbourne, fly direct to LAX.
6:45am (local time same day) - arrive LAX
11:15am - Leave LAX for NYC
7:30pm - Arrive EWR
(for those playing at home, that's 24 hours plus time taken to get to the Airport in Melbourne and arrive 3 hours before our flight...so more like 27.5 hours until I land in EWR, plus an hour or so to get our bags and get from EWR to NYC...)
Stay 5 nights here. hopefully going to WWE SummerSlam, Aladdin and meeting a couple of friends for dinner.

August 23
11:40am - Leave EWR
2:20pm - Arrive MCO, take ME to POR and check into our Royal room!

August 25
Pack and have Disney move our bags to BLT (lake view room) spend the day at MK and have an afternoon break to check in at the resort.
Stay 5 nights at BLT

August 30
Move to Royal Pacific Resort
Stalk @Ryno @imjenilynn and @Teleclashter and try to convince them to have a drink with me :)

Sept 2
Go home :(

That's a great trip right there (aside from *ahem* the WWE). We'll be in Disney at the same time!

Jealous of Bay Lake Tower. You gonna do California Grill? (Or go all out with Victoria and Albert!)

That's a great trip right there (aside from *ahem* the WWE). We'll be in Disney at the same time!

Jealous of Bay Lake Tower. You gonna do California Grill? (Or go all out with Victoria and Albert!)
Oh really?! That's cool!

Yeah there won't be any V&A. For two reasons, the first being that it's expensove enough, but at the exchange rate, that's one pricey meal!
And the second being having to bring a jacket for Leigh... Won't happen! Lol

Why are you waiting until the end of the trip to stalk them? I would move that itinerary item to your Disney arrival day on August 23. That gives you a lot more stalking time.
Well yes, of course if they're in the same park as me, I'll get my stalking hat out, but if I meet them at universal, I could try to persuade them to do a segment "drinking around city walk" with me!!

Hey Y'all!
I've updated the first post with some... updated (funnily enough) and some questions if you'd be so kind as to lend any advise or knowledge you have?

QUESTION:
Can anyone help me with prepaid phone/sim questions?
I have a handset, I just want a sim that has some calls and an ok amount of data to get us through while in NYC (to co-ordinate with said friends) and also for when Wifi isn't free or is spotty.
is it as simple as hitting up a 7/11 type place (do y'all call them bodega's?) and picking one up?
Go Phone looked like a good option, and I think I can order ahead of time, but probably not from overseas? thinking I can get it sent to the office and they can send to me here?
also, they sell recharge cards for $30, $50 etc, but the "plans" (month to month) don't line up with that.
the $45 plan looks good, unlimited calls and text in the USA and 3GB data, which would be plenty (will use the data to facetime audio my family in NYC)
is it that simple?
Check out the Canadian sub-forum - there is a thread there completely devoted to US phone questions & plans. Maybe similar products for you in Australia. Because my WDW vacations are always 2 wks or less, I usually opt for a simple, no-hassle route. I buy/load a Bell Canada pre-paid phone card/calling card in Canada before I leave (so pay in Cdn $ not US $) for eg $20-$30 Cdn (I buy this physical cardboard card pre-loaded with eg $20 in a CDN convenience store or gas station - we don't call them bodegas here or in the US) and can add more time to it when I get home using my VISA. I just call the 1-800 number on the card. Bell is always happy to take my $ up front. If I don't use all of my pre-loaded amount, it is good for the balance of the year and I can use it at home to place long-distance calls. When I get to Orlando, I then use my WDW room phone at no charge to place long-distance international calls. The WDW resorts do not charge guests to use their room phone for calling cards. I doubt if I've actually used more than $15 on the card for long-distance calls. To my brother's intense scorn (along the lines of OMG, why don't you use a cell phone?), I have actually found pay phones easily in airports & WDW (both at the parks and in the lobby of my WDW resort) and can use my calling card there as well. I maybe save $25 with this option which isn't that much if you factor in the peace of mind of personal security being a woman with a cell phone. But I do absolutely love that I'm not tethered to a cell phone for work and can actually relax, immerse myself in my WDW vacation and only contact family and work when I choose to do so (rather than letting them easily track me down at all hrs on my vacation). This may not be so great for a couple (eg if the 2 of you need to text each other during the day to find out where to meet up). I also bring an itouch to send emails with WDW's and airport free wi-fi, take photos & run the WDW app with my ADRs and FP+. WDW's room and park wi-fi is spotty but has improved over the past 2 yrs. I also have skype loaded on it as a backup.

Of course, this is not as convenient as using my cell phone. If I want to take my cell phone for extra personal security and to text, then I buy a monthly international talk & text pkg with my Cdn cell phone company before I leave Canada. Right now, that is approx $45 CDN/month for the basic talk & text pkg when roaming in the US. NB this is not a smart phone so no data issues. Each trip, I debate whether the slightly more $ cell phone pkg is worth it. Since I'm more comfortable at WDW, I often just use the calling card & itouch. But if I'm off to Europe, Greece, Turkey, etc on a bus tour, I want the 4G cell phone. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. If you want/need the convenience of a cell phone with data plan, then you will each prob pay good money for it. But see if the Cdns have found any easy tricks for you. Personally, when I go to WDW I either take the old-fashioned route for less or pay the bigger $ up front for the certainty that my cell phone service will actually work so there is no hassle on my vacation rather than messing about with a maybe solution once I get there. My vacation hrs are precious & I don't want to spend them arguing with a cell provider. Good luck!

just a tip, convenience store like 7/11 are often much higher, akin to the prices you pay in the airport. Search for a box store like target or walmart. Even Home Depot (a hardware store) sells prepaid phones now. Search their sites and you'll see throw away phones and the cards

EDIT 09.03.16
Keep in mind that the US is backwards in so many ways, like our refusal to use the metric system and the way we write our dates. So when us Americans see 09.03.16, we read that as September 3, 2016.

Can't help you with the phone question.

I've eaten at Carmines in Atlantic City. We haven't been to the NYC location but I would assume it is very similar. We'd be happy to join you there.

Still yet to get the courage to ask JL for a date. @disneysteve tells me im crazy... I just don't want to bother her or make her feel obligated.
And Ryno said I could buy him a drink, I'd be so thrilled if I got to meet any of the team, and to hang out with Ryno (and Craig!) for long enough to buy them a drink.. I think I'd die!
Well don't do it if you will die, because that would be bad, but I still say you should shoot them each a message. Tell them when you're coming and that you would be thrilled to meet them in person. And let them take it from there. I'll be seeing the team in June at the Hershey meet and again in July at the Mega Meet so I'll be sure to put in a good word for you.

Well don't do it if you will die, because that would be bad, but I still say you should shoot them each a message. Tell them when you're coming and that you would be thrilled to meet them in person. And let them take it from there. I'll be seeing the team in June at the Hershey meet and again in July at the Mega Meet so I'll be sure to put in a good word for you.

I'm going to have to second this. Dying is bad, but the members of the team really do love meeting viewers/listeners, and I'm sure they would all love to meet you and spend some time with you. Just let them know that you're interested and see what happens from there.

I see you are planning a meal at Tusker House ... not sure if you have been following the thread but at least rumors are there will be a dining package connected to Tusker House for the Rivers of Light show - so perhaps something you want to look into

Also, if you need any help/thoughts for the NY part of your trip, I live north of the City, work some days in NYC and was born in Brooklyn. By no means an full fledged expert but happy to offer up advice

Ironic that of the 1000's of restaurants in NYC you pick the one I always recommend. Carmines does not take reservations for parties under 6, and even with reservations you may have a wait. Three words for Carmines 'garlic bread'. The chicken parm is enough to feed four, so come hungry. If the wait is bad, try for a seat at the bar and order the garlic bread.

Also, I'm probably fairly useless because I have no interest in WWE, Brooklyn, or Broadway and I can't eat at most restaurants (so I don't know that much about restaurant recommendations or anything), but I have lived in NYC for almost 30 years, so let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out with the NYC part of the trip.

First off, I want to say, I love you guys (and gals)
You're always so darn helpful!!
Thank you xx
just a tip, convenience store like 7/11 are often much higher, akin to the prices you pay in the airport. Search for a box store like target or walmart. Even Home Depot (a hardware store) sells prepaid phones now. Search their sites and you'll see throw away phones and the cards
I'm definitely not looking to grab a throw away phone, more just a sim to throw in my iPhone. And I'm not sure how easily I will find a Walmart or target in NYC? I just want something easy tbh.
Our phone service providers (particularly the one I'm with... The highest priced but most reliable service) is very expensive to add international roaming packages, and it comes with limited data. I figured a prepaid service in the states would probably work out cheaper?

Keep in mind that the US is backwards in so many ways, like our refusal to use the metric system and the way we write our dates. So when us Americans see 09.03.16, we read that as September 3, 2016.

Can't help you with the phone question.

I've eaten at Carmines in Atlantic City. We haven't been to the NYC location but I would assume it is very similar. We'd be happy to join you there.
Yeah I know. Earlier in my post, I did write a caveat that is be writing my dates in the format that the entire rest of the world uses rather than the backwards American way! Lol
I feel like if i said "let's meet at McDonalds" (or if you suggested it to me) we'd both be more than happy to! :)

I see you are planning a meal at Tusker House ... not sure if you have been following the thread but at least rumors are there will be a dining package connected to Tusker House for the Rivers of Light show - so perhaps something you want to look into

Also, if you need any help/thoughts for the NY part of your trip, I live north of the City, work some days in NYC and was born in Brooklyn. By no means an full fledged expert but happy to offer up advice
Yeah that was my other sneaky plan. Tiffins looks like it will be... Interesting... But who can say no to safari Donald?! I'll be querying my wonderful dreams agent (Susan Kelly) when RoL goes live.
And thanks Phil! So many of you New Yorkers here, I feel like I've got the best of the best here!

Ironic that of the 1000's of restaurants in NYC you pick the one I always recommend. Carmines does not take reservations for parties under 6, and even with reservations you may have a wait. Three words for Carmines 'garlic bread'. The chicken parm is enough to feed four, so come hungry. If the wait is bad, try for a seat at the bar and order the garlic bread.
Haha, we were recommended it by friends who went a while before we did and we got sticker shock when we saw the menu prices (we did actually make a reservation for two? So maybe that rule has changed?) but when we saw the table behind us receive their food, we understood!
We also say at the bar briefly for a drink but got seated pretty quickly. It was at about 5:30pm though, the place was packed, even at that early hour!

I'm definitely not looking to grab a throw away phone, more just a sim to throw in my iPhone. And I'm not sure how easily I will find a Walmart or target in NYC? I just want something easy tbh.

When my cousins came in over the summer, I know they ordered sim cards online, but I don't know if it was pre-paid or pay as you go or how expensive it was. I don't know where they got it from either, so I really can't help much with that. I just know that ordering sim cards online is possible.
And in terms of Walmart/Target ... not so easy to find a Walmart, but there's a Target in Harlem which looks really nice (I think around 118th St, there's a nice shopping complex there). There's also at least one in Brooklyn (I used to go to one at Atlantic Terminal, near the Barclay Center), at least one in the Bronx, and a few in Queens. You're not going to find one in midtown, though.

It would be neat if Pete asked you to stop by the show when you visit.

Also, have you ever thought (on a future visit) of renting a vacation house and a car (rather than stay on property hotel?)

No, it's not the Disney bubble, but rental homes with great pricing are crazy close to the World (essentially a 5 to 10 minute drive to being on property), but you also get more space for your bucks, your own pool and/or hot tub, freedom to explore, etc.)

I highly suggest that at another time and do other Florida stuff.

It would be neat if Pete asked you to stop by the show when you visit.

Also, have you ever thought (on a future visit) of renting a vacation house and a car (rather than stay on property hotel?)

No, it's not the Disney bubble, but rental homes with great pricing are crazy close to the World (essentially a 5 to 10 minute drive to being on property), but you also get more space for your bucks, your own pool and/or hot tub, freedom to explore, etc.)

I highly suggest that at another time and do other Florida stuff.
Oh I don't think he'd do that. Imagine the amount of people who would request to do that, he'd be inundated!
I made a show suggestion to the trip (RIP) that they could follow along my trip planning to get an international traveller's perspective, alas, it wasn't to be!

Nah, I haven't to be honest. I love being on property. It gives me that real resort feel. It's so nice to not have to worry about driving or parking or "the real world" that I couldn't stay offsite.
We come so rarely (possibly never again after August) so I would want to be in the thick of it as much as possible.

But you better believe that if the economy ever tanks again, I'll be looking very seriously into buying a house in the Orlando area...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter