Princess dress got caught at top of moving walkway at POC.

It's not just at entry, most of the floor length dresses I see children wearing in the parks come from BBB. Tons of little girls walking around in long, BBB gowns. I completely agree, there need to be basic safety precautions and procedures in place. I'm curious why the moving walkways are even there anymore - wouldn't a ramp suffice? They took the Space Mountain one out. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems unnecessary at Pirates.
After this happened I researched a little bit about the moving walkways at Disney World. An article from 2018 said all moving walkways were soon to be removed. Obviously never happened at POC.

The PoC escalator is a steep hill.
I actually meant the entrance gate. That's where any dress code issues should be addressed.

Although at the ride the CM absolutely could warn anyone with lengthy clothing to lift it off the ground on the moving walkway/escalator or keep away from the edges. Right before the Hagrids loading platform, Universal TMs individually warn guests wearing long robes how to sit on the ride, so it can be done easily & without slowing the loading process.

I actually meant the entrance gate. That's where any dress code issues should be addressed.
Your post reads like you are blaming the child for wearing a dress she likely bought in the park that day, possibly from BBB. BBB is inside the park. It is not a dress code violation to walk around MK after going to BBB.

On a child, the front of just about any dress will come close to the ground when the child is going uphill.

The speed of the Hagrid's platform is strictly controlled. The staff slows and can stop it for riders with limited mobility. If someone trips, they stop it. WDW did not stop the PoC moving walkway when OP's daughter got stuck, nor did the CM know how to do it.

Your post reads like you are blaming the child for wearing a dress she likely bought in the park that day, possibly from BBB.
That wasn't my intent - I was trying to point out that Disney created a dress code presumably for safety, but doesn't bother to enforce it. Since they don't enforce it at the gate, it's pointless. More so if they size dresses within the park as actual floor length.

WDW did not stop the PoC moving walkway when OP's daughter got stuck, nor did the CM know how to do it.
This is the bigger issue.

It doesn't matter what article of clothing gets caught in a mechanism, or if someone just trips. There should be safety protocol / training in place. But I do think a CM right before the loading platform easily warn those wearing low-hitting clothes to take extra care, and maybe prevent someone from having the same issue. Then no one is put through a scary situation in the first place.

That wasn't my intent - I was trying to point out that Disney created a dress code presumably for safety, but doesn't bother to enforce it. Since they don't enforce it at the gate, it's pointless. More so if they size dresses within the park as actual floor length.
I mean, they literally sell and dress little kids in these dresses at BBB so not only do they not "enforce" whatever dress code you are referring to, they actively encourage little kids to break it. I suspect however that you are misinterpreting the Disney Dress code, and in any event, I doubt this kid was wearing a gown that dragged on the floor. It's very easy to get a dress that is not dragging on the floor caught.

For reference, from the WDW website, this is what is prohibited in the parks:
  • Clothing that touches or drags on the ground
I'm not sure what everyone else is reading, but it seems the consensus on this thread is that WDW does not enforce this at the gate, they sell dresses at BBB that go against their own policy, there should be emergency, safety measures in place to stop moving walkways for a variety of reasons and the OP's child was not at fault when her dress got caught in the walkway.

In defense of CAPSLOCK - I never interpreted any of his/her posts to be contrary to the above.

I saw that post getting called out for victim blaming a mile away.

But I read it as the blame would ultimately go back on Disney for not enforcing their dress code; not the parent of the girl.

If the CMs saw people going over other people on the walkway, it should have been stopped.

Bottom line is the CM should have hit the emergency stop on the ramp. The child’s dress probably wasn’t dragging on the ground but with the ramp going up and possibly the child leaning forward while going up, it easily could touch at that point and get caught. A very scary and unfortunate situation for sure. I hope the child is recovering from the scare. Sorry this happened.

Hi SuzyQue,
I'm very sorry your daughter got her dress caught in the moving walkway of Pirates Of The Caribbean and what I think Disney is likely to give you a Disney Store giftcard for a replacement princess dress and what I think Disney should have a rule that says this for children wearing princess dresses "FOR SAFETY REASONS NO PRINCESS DRESSES MUST BE WORN BY CHILDREN AS MOVING WALKWAY MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO DRESS" PLEASE CHANGE YOUR CHILDREN'S CLOTHING IF YOU DECIDE TO RIDE PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN THANK YOU". And if Magic Kingdom had this rule for Pirates Of The Caribbean it would help parents a lot. Because there's nothing worse than clothing that gets ripped or an injury that is caused by a moving walkway or an automatic door. I know this because when I went shopping at Target once my family was waiting to take me into the store and the automatic door slammed shut on my foot and my sock almost ripped when Mom and Dad freed me from the door and Target employees had to examine my foot and I ended up having marks on my foot and a limp for a week and I had to shop Target with my foot throbbing and hurt but my foot healed okay and ever since that incident I never went to the supermarket because I was afraid the same thing would happen again to my foot with an automatic door. But what I think you should do if Disney doesn't reply an email back is call Magic Kingdom and explain what happened to your daughter to the supervisor or manager and maybe they can try to help you any way they can
Good Luck SuzyQue and let us know what happens
Dodger

Still no response from emails and I've also called. All they can tell me by phone is that I have to wait for an answer to the emails and that it may be up to 2 weeks after I've sent them. She did offer to fill out an injury report, but I told her I was more concerned about upsetting my granddaughter and the fact that no one stopped the walkway. So I guess I wait...

This is so serious. I was traumatized as a child by seeing another girl get her foot sucked into an elevator. I wouldn't ride one for years after that. It's not just torn clothing; it is a safety risk. It's lucky the clothes did rip. They definitely should have pushed a stop button.

Still no response from emails and I've also called. All they can tell me by phone is that I have to wait for an answer to the emails and that it may be up to 2 weeks after I've sent them. She did offer to fill out an injury report, but I told her I was more concerned about upsetting my granddaughter and the fact that no one stopped the walkway. So I guess I wait...
Any update since 3/1?

I don't think you should wait for this info before contacting Disney. If its a serious issue the sooner its rectified the better.

I don't think there's much they can do. It's a known risk with moving walkways and escalators. You shouldn't stand too close to the edge because clothing and sandals can get caught. That's why they recommend not wearing flip-flops on moving walkways or escalators.

Although, now that I've said that, I'm thinking all moving walkways and escalators SHOULD have an emergency stop button that people can access. So, if there really isn't one, then THAT is what should be rectified. Absolutely.

Any update since 3/1?
I did eventually get an email apologizing and offering a gift card. I thanked them for the gift card for more princess dresses but told them I was still concerned as to why the walkway wasn't' stopped as we made quite a commotion jumping/falling around her as well as the people coming up behind us. After that I got no reply OR gift card. Just last week I called again and finally got the gift card. As to what was gonna be done to prevent this from happening again in the future, this was their reply. " While we're unable to disclose internal proprietary information, please rest assured that our Leadership Teams have been made aware of your feedback. I hope this helps restore some of the magic that may have been missed during your last visit." :confused3

I don't think there's much they can do. It's a known risk with moving walkways and escalators. You shouldn't stand too close to the edge because clothing and sandals can get caught. That's why they recommend not wearing flip-flops on moving walkways or escalators.

Although, now that I've said that, I'm thinking all moving walkways and escalators SHOULD have an emergency stop button that people can access. So, if there really isn't one, then THAT is what should be rectified. Absolutely.
Totally agree! Not making sure her dress was hiked up while on the walkway, that was on us. Not stopping it, especially when it affected so many people, that's on them and needs to be addressed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter