Princess dress got caught at top of moving walkway at POC.

SuzyQue

Serious Mickey Nut
Before I contact Disney, just wondering if this has happened before? There doesn't seem to be an emergency shut off and it took 3 of us to rip the dress out of it while falling and have people behind us going over us as they couldn't stop. Cast member said she saw it happen from afar and offered us a sticker??!

Oh, that’s terrible. Definitely complete an incident report. I assume this was your little one? Hope she is ok!

Hope the OP comes back to let us know what the result of the complaint was.
I have submitted it online to Disney (wanted to get all my thoughts written out) and will call if I receive no response. It was 10:00 at night (and chilly) after a long day when all this happened so all we were thinking about was getting back to the resort. We left the next day and naturally, the more we've thought about it the more upset we are.

Before I contact Disney, just wondering if this has happened before? There doesn't seem to be an emergency shut off and it took 3 of us to rip the dress out of it while falling and have people behind us going over us as they couldn't stop. Cast member said she saw it happen from afar and offered us a sticker??!
The cast member definitely has an emergency stop button.

I’m glad no one got hurt.

Over the years I’ve seen escalators “eat” crocs, shoe strings, etc. We’ve always used the line from Bill and Ted’s and said to our kids when they were young, “don’t get sucked under.” I could see where clothing, or really anything touching the ground near the “teeth”, could get sucked under. But that CM who saw it from a distance should have taken action to get someone to stop the conveyor belt. Someone nearby should have had an ear piece and walkie.

I’m glad no one got hurt.

Over the years I’ve seen escalators “eat” crocs, shoe strings, etc. We’ve always used the line from Bill and Ted’s and said to our kids when they were young, “don’t get sucked under.” I could see where clothing, or really anything touching the ground near the “teeth”, could get sucked under. But that CM who saw it from a distance should have taken action to get someone to stop the conveyor belt. Someone nearby should have had an ear piece and walkie.
This is exactly what we thought! I couldn't believe there wasn't an emergency shut off somewhere. The only thing we can think of is that the cast member thought she just fell and caused everyone to fall behind her and over her?

This is exactly what we thought! I couldn't believe there wasn't an emergency shut off somewhere. The only thing we can think of is that the cast member thought she just fell and caused everyone to fall behind her and over her?
Still. On anything like a moving walkway or escalator, CMs should be at heightened alert for situations that could result in injury. Someone could choke if the outfit got caught just right and they couldn't keep their body from moving. I hope she's OK. I am sure this was super scary.

I'm so sorry to hear this happened. It must have been very scary for your child and your family. Thank you so much for bringing this to Disney's attention. So many children are wearing princess dresses in the parks and it would be terrible if someone was seriously injured.

Isn't "floor length" synonymous with "touch the ground"? And like I said, I doubt it's enforced much if at all at entry.

Plus as someone noted above, shoelaces and other things can be problematic too. Which is why CMs need to know safety procedures.

Isn't "floor length" synonymous with "touch the ground"? And like I said, I doubt it's enforced much if at all at entry.

Plus as someone noted above, shoelaces and other things can be problematic too. Which is why CMs need to know safety procedures.

It's not just at entry, most of the floor length dresses I see children wearing in the parks come from BBB. Tons of little girls walking around in long, BBB gowns. I completely agree, there need to be basic safety precautions and procedures in place. I'm curious why the moving walkways are even there anymore - wouldn't a ramp suffice? They took the Space Mountain one out. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems unnecessary at Pirates.

No, touching the ground refers to things that actually touch the ground. That's mostly people wearing costumes to the Halloween party with trains. Full length gowns don't have to touch the ground. Most are an inch or two off the ground. Of course this is different with kids, as parents sometimes buy a larger size and it drags the ground (not saying at all this was the case with the OP, just discussing the issue generally).

Floor length and full length are different. Floor length by definition touches the floor, at least with some part of the hem line. Disney prohibits only floor length dresses (officially, not in practice).

Very scary situation! When I was a young teen, my tennis shoe started to go into the escalator between the stair and the wall because I was standing too close to the edge. When I noticed, I think I gave a small cry of help and, thankfully, the adult (my "unsung hero") behind me untied my shoe so I could get my foot out. They then yanked my shoe out, which was ripped. Thank goodness that person helped me and thought to remove my foot rather than trying to yank my foot and shoe at the same time! This was back around 1970. Since then, I always tell people to stand as far from the edge (in the middle of the stair is best), while holding onto the handrail, as possible.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter