• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Prices... sigh.

Ah, yes, the AMEX/Delta approach. Amex recently changed its qualifications for entrance into the Centurion Lounges, including requiring a $USD75k spend on the Plat or holding the Centurion Card. Mainly they did this to reduce overcrowding in their lounges which I was fine with but MAN were many cardholders mad, especially given the Plat's high AF. And since the Centurion Lounge is seen as a Premium experience for a certain group of people, they adopted that strategy. The thing to ask then is Disney a "Centurion Card" level experience? Is that what they want? Is that what WE want? It seems Disney is really trying to create this premium product but by taking so many things away (certain attractions, parades, nickel and diming, etc) it feels like they are trying to sell me a Camry that's disguised as a Porsche. A Camry is nice, but it sure as hell ain't a Porsche. That's why I just can't get behind paying for it right now. If I'm going to spend the money for a Porsche or Club access or whatever, that's what I want, not some watered down substitute.
I agree with this. I love Disney, but back in 1998 through the early 2000's there were definitely more perks offered for the money. Also, the atmosphere was like the customer was more important, maybe? I can't put my finger on it, but the whole vibe was different. I hate to say it, but even the cast members were more "magical" for lack of a better word. There are still have many great cast members, but I have run into some crabby ones and that never used to happen.

It amazes me with all the griping about inflation/economy, we're still hitting record numbers in shopping, etc. I'm going to venture that even with these price increases, Disney is probably seeing record attendance. Maybe I'm wrong.
I'm not so sure about that. With the return of free dining and big resort discounts already announced for most of the year, I'd say both attendance and occupancy are soft.

Well one good thing it sounds like they’re going to be building a new ‘Land’ out behind Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, so at least that might help disperse crowds a bit (and has been a long time coming).

I do think that loss of Magical Express was huge for many people. (Not us as we always rent a car, but still, I can see how it made things harder and more expensive for many visitors, especially families.)

I do not like to fiddle with my phone, either, while visiting parks and resorts. Fortunately, DD doesn’t mind taking care of that end, so it works for now. But if we go without her it would be more stressful for us. Even visiting other resorts we often do a mobile food order. I don’t fully understand LL and G+ I just show up for rides, as it is. DH and I miss FP. I still keep three paper FPs in my wallet as mementos from the night before the parks closed down in 2020 which we didn’t get to use, along with some other old Disney cards and room keys that make me happy to look at. (No wonder I need a big wallet, lol.)

That said, money is actually not the top reason I haven't gone lately, complexity and reliance on technology are. I hate that as soon as I get comfortable with one system, there's a new one replacing it. And I don't want to be on my phone all day in the park, chasing the next ride. - I want to be present and feel like a kid.

Our complaints didn't really spring from pricing, although we have zero desire of plunking down the current costs of a visit. For us it was the loss of ability to deliver the Disney Difference.

do not like to fiddle with my phone, either, while visiting parks and resorts.

DH and I miss FP.

You guys have captured how I feel exactly. We have a trip planned in a few weeks and I can’t drum up the interest…. I want to relax & enjoy but It just all seems like work. I’m flying down to NOT WORK for a few days.
Honestly if this wasn’t a family trip that has us catching up w/ others who live in Orlando I’d be a lot happier spending the $$$ elsewhere.

I do think that loss of Magical Express was huge for many people. (Not us as we always rent a car, but still, I can see how it made things harder and more expensive for many visitors, especially families.)
I think even better than DME itself, was the bags service. Checking your bags at your home airport and having them magically appear in your room was fantastic, and being able to check bags from your resort going home made everything so easy.

It certainly is possible to do that if you show up before they open. If you don't, your choices will be limited. But things have always been like that at Disney. Show up early, get ahead of the surge, know what rides to hop on right away vs those that can wait a few minutes vs those that can wait until the afternoon. As someone that knows how to get around down there, to me, all these changes over the years have caused is a change in strategy. It's still the same game. And he who does his homework wins. Just the same as it has always been. I'm sorry for those that want to sleep in, show up at the park and the first time they do any planning is when they block the entrance under the RR bridge at 11, and open their map. And the first thing they decide to do? .... Breakfast at the most popular place in the park!!! HAHA. They're not going to have the best of times. But again, that has always been true. The system is a bit more complicated than it needs to be. That's about my only complaint.

I'd rather book on my phone than have to run all the way across the park to get fast passes from the machine. And though I am not really that kosher with having to pay for fastpass either, we must admit standard fastpass lost them money. People didn't go shopping or eating while waiting like it was designed to encourage. So now we have to pay for it. As for magical express we never used it. Didn't need it. We drive. Then we have the car to go off site to eat when we want to.
We're early risers, so being there early wasn't an issue. Although the idea that it's a must when you're on vacation for this type of destination doesn't sit quite right with me. For something more truly limited that always draws crowds, understandable. By that I mean something along the lines of the Louvre, the Vatican, the Eifel Tower. It is what it is and you accept it. A theme park that consistently has increasing crowds and repeatedly chooses not to increase capacity, instead using methods that sound like the brainchild of someone who developed and operated call centers? Not my thing.

Maybe people would be more inclined to shop if the merch selection improved. It's harder and harder in this age of homogenized, mass produced, lower quality, but Disney ought to be able to bring at least some design flair to the table to generate plenty of interest.

I agree with this. I love Disney, but back in 1998 through the early 2000's there were definitely more perks offered for the money. Also, the atmosphere was like the customer was more important, maybe? I can't put my finger on it, but the whole vibe was different. I hate to say it, but even the cast members were more "magical" for lack of a better word. There are still have many great cast members, but I have run into some crabby ones and that never used to happen.
Back when they had guests instead of customers?

Instead of the Disney Difference we're now in our Disney is Different Era.

We're early risers, so being there early wasn't an issue. Although the idea that it's a must when you're on vacation for this type of destination doesn't sit quite right with me. For something more truly limited that always draws crowds, understandable. By that I mean something along the lines of the Louvre, the Vatican, the Eifel Tower. It is what it is and you accept it. A theme park that consistently has increasing crowds and repeatedly chooses not to increase capacity, instead using methods that sound like the brainchild of someone who developed and operated call centers? Not my thing.
All three of those let you buy dated, time specific tickets weeks to months ahead of time online. You don't need to get up early and get in line or do anything day-of other than show up.

All three of those let you buy dated, time specific tickets weeks to months ahead of time online. You don't need to get up early and get in line or do anything day-of other than show up.
Simply attempted to give examples of things that have capacity limitations that are more baked in. Spatial limitations probably place DLR in a similar category.

WDW could probably look to address capacity by intentional and careful design of new attractions that have capability of engaging many guests for longer periods of time, much the way they did for a significant period of time in the resort's history. Careful planning to optimize reliability and ongoing keen, consistent attention to maintenance would bring some welcome relief as well. A company who wants to own their claim to welcoming guests and providing them superior experiences and services while continuing to draw massive paying crowds shouldn't hesitate to put their resources where their reputation was made.

Ah, yes, the AMEX/Delta approach. Amex recently changed its qualifications for entrance into the Centurion Lounges, including requiring a $USD75k spend on the Plat or holding the Centurion Card. Mainly they did this to reduce overcrowding in their lounges which I was fine with but MAN were many cardholders mad, especially given the Plat's high AF. And since the Centurion Lounge is seen as a Premium experience for a certain group of people, they adopted that strategy. The thing to ask then is Disney a "Centurion Card" level experience? Is that what they want? Is that what WE want? It seems Disney is really trying to create this premium product but by taking so many things away (certain attractions, parades, nickel and diming, etc) it feels like they are trying to sell me a Camry that's disguised as a Porsche. A Camry is nice, but it sure as hell ain't a Porsche. That's why I just can't get behind paying for it right now. If I'm going to spend the money for a Porsche or Club access or whatever, that's what I want, not some watered down substitute.

That's not even the same thing, comparing it to Amex/Delta isn't a fair comparison. To me the Amex plat AF is worth it. I get all of it back plus some every year. Sometimes, just one hotel booking w/ Amex travel is already worth the AF.
I'm not saying Disney pricing is reasonable these days, they can be outrageously expensive, but in my eyes Disney has always been a premium product. Just like many things, they were a lot more affordable years ago.

I think for most people, if you don't have some sort of emotional attachment to Disney, you wouldn't keep going back despite the high prices or not as magical experiences. And you know what, Disney KNOWS that! Why do imagineers create shows that make people feel emotional? Because those experiences and memories have far more "value", it's priceless to many and it makes them feel good. At that moment, the $34579345 they paid is worth it! We can spend our hard earned money on different vacations and travel the world instead, but somehow, those feel good moments will always bring certain people back to Disney.

By the way, I'm no car expert but some luxury cars do utilize platform sharing. They will use better engine to get the higher performance but a lot of parts under the hood may not be as high quality as you might think. In other words, with some luxury cars, you could be paying 2-3x more just for their famous emblems.

We haven't been back since 2017. For us, the value just isn't there anymore (and we used to go 2-3x a year, stay on-site, and get the DDP). Once we broke the "bubble" we found we could do a lot of other vacations that were just as much fun and cost less.

I'm sure we'll go back at some point when the grandchildren get a bit older, but I'm not in any rush.

It certainly is possible to do that if you show up before they open. If you don't, your choices will be limited. But things have always been like that at Disney. Show up early, get ahead of the surge, know what rides to hop on right away vs those that can wait a few minutes vs those that can wait until the afternoon. As someone that knows how to get around down there, to me, all these changes over the years have caused is a change in strategy. It's still the same game. And he who does his homework wins. Just the same as it has always been. I'm sorry for those that want to sleep in, show up at the park and the first time they do any planning is when they block the entrance under the RR bridge at 11, and open their map. And the first thing they decide to do? .... Breakfast at the most popular place in the park!!! HAHA. They're not going to have the best of times. But again, that has always been true. The system is a bit more complicated than it needs to be. That's about my only complaint.

I'd rather book on my phone than have to run all the way across the park to get fast passes from the machine. And though I am not really that kosher with having to pay for fastpass either, we must admit standard fastpass lost them money. People didn't go shopping or eating while waiting like it was designed to encourage. So now we have to pay for it. As for magical express we never used it. Didn't need it. We drive. Then we have the car to go off site to eat when we want to.
In general I hate FP in any of its incarnations. However, if I had to chose the best of all of them, which isn't saying much because they all sucked, but Fastpass+ was the least offensive. It was still free and you could book FP's via phone although the numbers were limited it still worked better then the original which had you running all over he place and the current which is expensive and requires constant attention to a phone screen. Without it at all it was much more spontaneous and you had control over what you saw. It was the most fun a person could have (you know the rest)

I agree, Disney has become too expensive to even enjoy. I mean it has always been expensive, but it is now over the top. Where has the value gone? Everything is an upgrade. To do something faster, like avoiding a line, you better be ready to pay up. The food in the restaurants, don't get me started. Don't get me wrong, I am a DVC member and I love Disney, but I am to the point where I can hardly afford it.

A Camry is nice, but it sure as hell ain't a Porsche. That's why I just can't get behind paying for it right now. If I'm going to spend the money for a Porsche or Club access or whatever, that's what I want, not some watered down substitute.
Pretend you bought a Porsche. It drives like a Porsche. It looks like a Porsche. You know it's a Porsche, yet the people who haven't seen or driven your car kept telling you it's a Camry.

That's how I feel about Disney right now, so I'm not going to debate with the folks who haven't been to the parks in recent years.

Pretend you bought a Porsche. It drives like a Porsche. It looks like a Porsche. You know it's a Porsche, yet the people who haven't seen or driven your car kept telling you it's a Camry.

That's how I feel about Disney right now, so I'm not going to debate with the folks who haven't been to the parks in recent years.
I do drive a Porsche, a Panamera, in fact (I got a great deal on a used one). I see what you're trying to say. But I closely follow what's going on at the parks, I don't need to physically be there to know that it's not a good value. Research is part of my job, I'm a master at it. Do I need to actually go to Baghdad to know it's not safe? Of course not.

Haven't visited since 2013. Decided we didn't go back because of changes made making the way we like to travel impossible and crowd levels becoming too tight for our comfort. Have kept track of quite a few of the changes and are aware crowds have grown since 2013 and the changes made in regard to accessing attractions have gone even further in a direction we don't enjoy, hence we still have no intentions of returning.

It's not a debate that we don't care for the system available for touring the parks today. We don't. As I said, that's an us problem and I am under no illusion that's at all meaningful to Disney. I'm still free to express that dissatisfaction. You and anyone else are free to disagree, visit and enjoy. It's not like my dissatisfaction impedes you from partaking in any way. It's simply a differing perspective than yours. And that's okay.

Couldn't have said it better :thumbsup2 Research and experience are completely different things. I think some folks NEED to put a value on most things in life, and that's fine. But to say you don't see the value when you haven't experience it let's say in the recent 5-10 years, it's not really a fair statement. But hey, don't come, more for us! 😆

That's not even the same thing, comparing it to Amex/Delta isn't a fair comparison. To me the Amex plat AF is worth it. I get all of it back plus some every year. Sometimes, just one hotel booking w/ Amex travel is already worth the AF.
I'm not saying Disney pricing is reasonable these days, they can be outrageously expensive, but in my eyes Disney has always been a premium product. Just like many things, they were a lot more affordable years ago.

I think for most people, if you don't have some sort of emotional attachment to Disney, you wouldn't keep going back despite the high prices or not as magical experiences. And you know what, Disney KNOWS that! Why do imagineers create shows that make people feel emotional? Because those experiences and memories have far more "value", it's priceless to many and it makes them feel good. At that moment, the $34579345 they paid is worth it! We can spend our hard earned money on different vacations and travel the world instead, but somehow, those feel good moments will always bring certain people back to Disney.

By the way, I'm no car expert but some luxury cars do utilize platform sharing. They will use better engine to get the higher performance but a lot of parts under the hood may not be as high quality as you might think. In other words, with some luxury cars, you could be paying 2-3x more just for their famous emblems.
Of course it's the same thing. AMEX is trying to make their product ultra premium and Disney is trying to do the same thing. Sure, Disney was never cheap per se, but it wasn't what it is now. The Plat is worth it to me too because, like you, I utilise the benefits which outweigh the AF. But I feel like I'm getting something for my money. With Disney, as someone who has been going for the last 30+ years, I've seen such a drastic decline in value that it's becoming not worth it to me. You are absolutely correct that Disney understand nostalgia and exploit it. Cars DO use utilise platform sharing. I worked in the auto industry and always laughed when folks bought a Chevy Suburban with a Rolls Royce engine. But I also know that Porsche shares its platforms with VW and Audi, both companies I respect so it's not an issue for me.

Research and experience are completely different things. I think some folks NEED to put a value on most things in life, and that's fine. But to say you don't see the value when you haven't experience it let's say in the recent 5-10 years, it's not really a fair statement. But hey, don't come, more for us!
Maybe where you come from. But I value research. Plus, I follow folks on tiktok who visit the parks every day. So I see the rides and experiences. Like I said, I don't need to BE there to deduce that it's not a value for me.

Our last trip was in 2010. Were there quite a number of times. Every once in a while I think it would be nice to go. Once we check out the prices of airfare from Canada (which is crazy), hotels, transportation to and from the airport, meals, passes and all the other extras now, it gets discouraging. Then we think of all the extra planning, being on phones, getting up early..... still no reservations. Maybe one day. If we can find a time that's not quite so busy. We can dream....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter