Pressed Pennies???

rhoandtro

Earning My Ears
Can anyone explain the pressed pennies I think was.....that I read somewhere on these posts. Supposedly the kids enjoy these. Please explain. Thank You.

There are pressed penny (& quarter) machines everywhere - mostly in the gift shops (theme parks, water parks, and resorts). For 51 cents the machine will take your penny and imprint on it a disney character, etc. (i.e. Cowboy Mickey in Frontierland, Spaceman Mickey in Tomorrowland). You can purchase special books ($6) everywhere to keep your collection. It's fun to search for different characters, and special resort pressed pennies. Our family loves it!:cool:

For pennies, you put into the machine 2 quarters, and 1 penny.
The machined flattens the penny into a kind of oblong oval shape, and presses an image onto it.
It comes out looking like an oval penny-coloured medalian with the image. All traces of the original penny image
are gone. Took alot of work to convince my 4 year old that the result was made from his penny - he thought it was not a penny at all.

The allure arrises from the fact that 1)the machines are not too obvious, you have to kind of be looking for them to notice them - kids love looking for these machines 2)each machine offers a specific image, and for the most part, you won't find that image available at any other machine - so when you find one, its kind of a now or never thing 3)most machines offer two or three different images - so the kids have to choose what they really want - unless you don't mind spending $1.53 per kid per machine 4)the penny books let the kids really see how their collection is growing - tracking the progress of this seems to facinate them. 6)Most machines show some of their intrenal mechanisms so you can see the gears and chains work as the penny is pressed - big interest factor for kids 6)The things are ALSO available at Sea World, Busch Gardens, Niagra Falls - not limited to Disney.

Now that we're really "aware" of these pennies, we will be looking out for them at all tourist attractions all summer. I've definitely seen them around before, but never noticed them until my 7 year old brought them very clearly to my attention.

There is a list of places that have the machine and the images that get "Swuished" (As my DD calls it) They even sell books to put them in after the "Swuishing" We are on our second book. Books are available throughout the park I believe, we got ours somewhere on mainstreet. Sood luck and enjoy the "SQUISHING"

www.wdwig.com/penny.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter