Pre-cruise 1 day trip to Epcot

Karen M

Earning My Ears
We (Myself 34, Husband 36 and Son 6) will be making our first trip to Epcot on December 14th the day before our cruise. We fly into Orlando on December 13th at 7:30 a.m. and will be spending the day at our resort (All-Star Movies), adjusting to the time change (coming from CA) and the red eye flight. I would really appreciate any and all must do's should do's. We will only have one day and I know we wont be able to see everything but a good list would be helpful. Things that maybe we should be aware of or keep an eye out for would also be good. I have learned so much already from all of these boards and appreciate all of you. TIA

We (Myself 34, Husband 36 and Son 6) will be making our first trip to Epcot on December 14th the day before our cruise. We fly into Orlando on December 13th at 7:30 a.m. and will be spending the day at our resort (All-Star Movies), adjusting to the time change (coming from CA) and the red eye flight. I would really appreciate any and all must do's should do's. We will only have one day and I know we wont be able to see everything but a good list would be helpful. Things that maybe we should be aware of or keep an eye out for would also be good. I have learned so much already from all of these boards and appreciate all of you. TIA

:welcome: to DISboards, fellow San Diegan! :-)

Because you are a Disneyland regular, Soarin’ is the same as in DCA with only the ending differing from DLR’s version. Test Track is the same ride system as RSR and isn’t as engaging as RSR. Turtle Talk is the same.

You should book your FPs for:
Frozen Ever After
Spaceship Earth
Mission Space

Plan to stay for IllumiNations as you probably won’t be leaving for the port very early the next morning?

On your arrival day, use Disney Transportation and head to Disney Springs. It’s vastly different than DTD in Anaheim and there’ll be a lot of Holiday decor and entertainment.

*Using Thread Tools at the top of your thread, you can Edit the title to “pre-cruise.” :)

Thank you. We actually have never done Soarin or RSR or Turtle Talk. We took our son to Disneyland when he was 2.5 and he wasnt that into so this is our second attempt in hoping now that he is older he will enjoy it. I am not sure we will do Mission Earth, not sure our son will be a fan.

If the weather is good we plan to go to our resort and hang by the pool for a while and then we were thinking about heading over to Disney Springs for dinner. Any recommendations?

Do you recommend we have our plans for Epcot down to where we plan on eating for lunch and dinner?

Last edited:
I’d still book FEA as your Tier 1 FP and for a 6 year-old, riding into the huge “Spaceship Earth” is impressive especially because it’s the icon for Epcot.

The FP FAQ Sticky has the Priority listing for Epcot FPs. Plan to arrive at Epcot at least 30 minutes prior to the park opening and head to Test Track and then Soarin’.

In Disney Springs, you may want to choose something like Wolfgang Puck Express because you’ll be having table service meals each night of your cruise. Polite Pig is also very good. For a Table Service restaurant, Homecomin’ is quite popular.

For dinner on your Epcot day, you should book a reservation if you want a Table Service meal so you’d have to plan around that. If you book your first FP for 10:00 or 10:30, you can book the other 2 in succession and then have your lunch break at a counter service.

Sorry I meant Mission Earth not Spaceship Earth. I dont know any of the places to eat yet in Epcot, havent gotten that far. Lunch we will probably do counter service somewhere or just snack at different places along the way. But by dinner I think we will be ready to sit down and enjoy a meal. Guess I need to start looking into that.

Sorry I meant Mission Earth not Spaceship Earth. I dont know any of the places to eat yet in Epcot, havent gotten that far. Lunch we will probably do counter service somewhere or just snack at different places along the way. But by dinner I think we will be ready to sit down and enjoy a meal. Guess I need to start looking into that.

You mean mission space? Mission earth isn’t a thing ;)

@hiroMYhero gave you good advice on which FPs to choose. After you use (or let expire) your 3 FPS, try for a 4th. If you can get Soarin or Test Track, grab it.

You don’t need a FP for anything in the Living Seas. It’s great place to spend time in A/C while waiting for a FP to come up.

After spending your day in Future World, move to the World Showcase, get something to eat and do the attractions—3 Caballeros, China movie, American Adventure and the movie in France. Those are what I made sure to see at least once per trip. Also, there are lots of fun snacks and drinks to sample if you imbibe.

Have fun! :)

Last edited:
Epcot is my favorite Park.

Have a look here:
https://touringplans.com/epcot/fastpass
You can book up to 3 FP+ per day but only 1 of those can be from group A.

You know your son best and are better able to determine what he will like.

He might also enjoy Agent P and the KidCot Fun Stops around each Country.
The Holiday storytellers should be in each country also.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/attractions/epcot/agent-p-world-showcase-adventure/

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/attractions/epcot/kidcot-fun-stops/

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/epcot-holidays-around-world-tips/

Disney/Pixar 4D short films might be of interest for a 6 yr.old.

*** Last year there was a Chip and Dale Christmas Tree Spree scavenger Hunt--maybe they will have it again this year or something similar.
Look here for info:
https://www.themouseforless.com/wal...s/holidays/epcot-christmas-holiday/#scavenger

Note*
Mission Space
Soarin
Test Track
all have a height requirement of 40 inches/102cm.
Have fun planning
Hugs Mel

Last edited:
Skip disney springs. You will waste your entire evening going there and back and it is just shops and restaurants—not much disney. Eat dinner in Epcot’s world showcase. It is unique and fun to dine in “the World” and when you are done eating you can stick around for the fireworks.

Skip disney springs. You will waste your entire evening going there and back and it is just shops and restaurants—not much disney. Eat dinner in Epcot’s world showcase. It is unique and fun to dine in “the World” and when you are done eating you can stick around for the fireworks.
They only have a 1-day ticket that they’ll use the next day for Epcot.

As PP said, the holiday storytellers in WS are awesome, there’s also holiday food booths that are like a mini F&W type of thing. There’s the candlelight processional but that would eat up a lot of time. There’s plenty of awesome places to eat in the WS, Rose & crown is good and gives a good view of illuminations if you request an outside seat and Garden Grill (in the Land pavilion)is a great character meal. Have fun!

Must dos at FPCOT.
At rope drop, go to Test Track,usually a short line. Then walk over to Soarin since you haven't done that (should not be too long of line). Then walk over to Living with the land.
From there you can walk to LIving Seas.
I would FP Spaceship Earth for 10:00
The Pixar shorts are fun, don't need a Fp for them. I would skip Journey into Imagination
Mission Space is fun, but some people don't do well with motion sickness. It spins very fast.

I would FP Frozen for around noon - 1.
Mexico the 3 Caballaros is a fun ride.
The movies in China, France and Canada are good. A 6 yo might be bored.
Meals - look at the menus. Many very good QS and TS options. Get ADRs for the TS if you want to eat at normal times.

Thank you all for your advice and information. I don’t think I have really taken into consideration all the planning I still have left to do. Obviously making sure we aren’t going from one side of the park to the other multiple times is important. The night before we go to Epcot do you recommend going to Disney Springs for dinner or is there somewhere else we should consider?

There are many options. Disney Springs is fun. Lots of restaurants and shops.
For a 6 yo, T-Rex might be fun for dinner, there also is Rainforest Cafe. Raglan Road is fun with the band and Irish dancers at night.
The LEGO shop is always fun for kids.
There are also lots of restaurants at the resort as options, but I would suggest DS instead.

Santa will be at Disney Springs and there is a Christmas tree trail to explore.

I’m pretty sure Santa will be on the cruise so there may be less waiting on the ship than at DSprings. Plus, you’ll be fully immersed in Disney and Christmas on the ship. So exploring DSprings is a nice counterpoint to the full immersion of the cruise while still being fun as @gharter described. :)

One other option to consider is to take the bus to MK and then head to the Monorail (it’s outside the park) to visit the Monorail resorts. There’ll be elaborate gingerbread displays at Grand Floridian and Contemporary.

Santa will be at Disney Springs and there is a Christmas tree trail to explore.

I’m pretty sure Santa will be on the cruise so there may be less waiting on the ship than at DSprings. Plus, you’ll be fully immersed in Disney and Christmas on the ship. So exploring DSprings is a nice counterpoint to the full immersion of the cruise while still being fun as @gharter described. :)

One other option to consider is to take the bus to MK and then head to the Monorail (it’s outside the park) to visit the Monorail resorts. There’ll be elaborate gingerbread displays at Grand Floridian and Contemporary.

We aren't going on a Disney Cruise, we are doing Carnival. Christmas Tree Trail sounds fun.

We aren't going on a Disney Cruise, we are doing Carnival. Christmas Tree Trail sounds fun.
T-Rex would be fun if DS is into Dinosaurs. It’s a Landry restaurant and if you are a Landry Club member, you receive priority seating - same for Rainforest Cafe.

If he wants to meet Santa, the meet uses a paging system so you can explore shops until it’s your turn.

If you wanted to do a character meal, Chef Mickey’s at Contemporary includes Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Goofy stopping by your table. You can get to any resort from Disney Springs by using the bus system.

You could always do Chef Mickeys at CR then your the other monorail resorts. My son Loved Chef Mickeys when he was 6!

T-Rex would be fun if DS is into Dinosaurs. It’s a Landry restaurant and if you are a Landry Club member, you receive priority seating - same for Rainforest Cafe.

If he wants to meet Santa, the meet uses a paging system so you can explore shops until it’s your turn.

If you wanted to do a character meal, Chef Mickey’s at Contemporary includes Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Goofy stopping by your table. You can get to any resort from Disney Springs by using the bus system.
Well there are no reservations for T-Rex or Chef Mickey for our date. Any recommendations on how to go about checking back to see if something opens up?
We are not Landry Club members.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter