Post Pictures of Tent Camping @ FW

Possible 1st time Ft Wilderness campers next month (not 1st time in tent):banana:

For those that use coolers, do you have any tips on what works best?

We have a good, basic set-up...but not a lot of extras.

The ideal situation is a mini fridge, but barring that, you need one of the extreme coolers. Get a fairly large one, then hard freeze gallon jug filled with water and put that in the center bottom, then put your items in prechilled, then dump ice on top of that.

Then just replenish ice as necessary every couple of days.

That should work to keep things cold. If you want ice to put in drinks or to make mixed drinks then you will need to just buy that every evening. I have yet to find a way to keep ice in ice form for more than a few hours when camping there.

Thank you!:goodvibes

Things have been pretty stressful around here lately and I need to escape to my happy place!:rotfl:

Didn't think Disney would be possible until I called and got a quote on a campsite. Pretty good deal!:thumbsup2

Now I just have to convince DH!

Here are pictures from our last trip, May 28-May 31. We had site #1832. It was a full hook-up loop. We waited too late to book a partial.

The comfort station was to the left about 4 sites down. We were the last inside site on the loop. Road noise wasn't an issue.
P1020614.jpg

We moved the table into the shelter and had the door of the tent inside as well.
P1020619.jpg

P1020620.jpg

Setting up the AC unit. Hubby found directions online and made one. With the unit and materials, it was about $130
P1020622.jpg

P1020693.jpg

P1020627.jpg

The one day it rained, we just added a tarp and were fine.
P1020692.jpg

P1020690.jpg

Setting up the AC unit. Hubby found directions online and made one. With the unit and materials, it was about $130

P1020693.jpg

Alright, I have to ask.

Where did hubby find the directions for this set up?

MacGyver.com? :rotfl2:

Seriously, what is going on there?

How did it work?

All kidding aside, I would be interested in a link to the directions. I have thought about hooking up an A.C. unit for my Add-A-Room, and I like the concept of being able to direct the cool air via hoses.

TCD

Alright, I have to ask.

Where did hubby find the directions for this set up?

MacGyver.com? :rotfl2:

Seriously, what is going on there?

How did it work?

All kidding aside, I would be interested in a link to the directions. I have thought about hooking up an A.C. unit for my Add-A-Room, and I like the concept of being able to direct the cool air via hoses.

TCD

From http://www.byandrewdavis.com/

The unit itself is sitting on 4 bricks. The gray wrap is a filter (he didn't want bugs flying inside and getting gross). Plastic bag is covering the controls during the rain. The top two hoses blew the cold air in and the bottom two pulled the hot air out. The silver 'box' comes off the unit and the hoses can be pushed back in. We stored all of that inside the box the unit came in. The unit itself was packed in the back of the Jeep.

Overall, we had a great experience with this set up. The unit leaked water under the bricks but we didn't have any leaks inside. There was a little moisture build up inside near the hoses but a towel easily fixed that when we packed up. We left the unit running on low during the day and came back to a nice and cool bed.

From hubby:

Here are the materials I used:
Zenith ZW5010 5000 BTU window unit ($100 at home depot)
4" x 8' dryer vent tubing ($16 at Walmart)
1 roll of aluminum tape ($7 at home depot)
1 4' x 8' piece of 1/2 inch foil-sided insulation ($10 at home depot)
I also bought a contractor-grade 25' 12 gauge electrical cable ($25 at Walmart) for it. I didn't want to run it on a cheap cable that might melt.

Thanks, LL- I missed that thread. There are some interesting ideas there.

From http://www.byandrewdavis.com/

The unit itself is sitting on 4 bricks. The gray wrap is a filter (he didn't want bugs flying inside and getting gross). Plastic bag is covering the controls during the rain. The top two hoses blew the cold air in and the bottom two pulled the hot air out. The silver 'box' comes off the unit and the hoses can be pushed back in. We stored all of that inside the box the unit came in. The unit itself was packed in the back of the Jeep.

Overall, we had a great experience with this set up. The unit leaked water under the bricks but we didn't have any leaks inside. There was a little moisture build up inside near the hoses but a towel easily fixed that when we packed up. We left the unit running on low during the day and came back to a nice and cool bed.

From hubby:

Here are the materials I used:
Zenith ZW5010 5000 BTU window unit ($100 at home depot)
4" x 8' dryer vent tubing ($16 at Walmart)
1 roll of aluminum tape ($7 at home depot)
1 4' x 8' piece of 1/2 inch foil-sided insulation ($10 at home depot)
I also bought a contractor-grade 25' 12 gauge electrical cable ($25 at Walmart) for it. I didn't want to run it on a cheap cable that might melt.

Thank you.

I may give this a try myself.

TCD

BF and I are going Halloween week staying on a Partial site and would love to see pictures of your setups!

BF does have a concern with things being taken from the site... has anyone had an issue with this? We of course will keep electronics locked in the car.

And will we get nabbed my the clothesline police for just hanging up bath towels?? :laundy:

Bump with some questions!

I've always wanted to camp at the Fort, but it's never been practical. Now I'm thinking of a few years from now and how we'll pull it off.

I'm thinking of when we camped at a state park in Connecticut last summer and we were not allowed to tie clothesline to the trees, or have an open fire. It was early June and we were cold! And all our towels stayed damp. :( None of this information was on the website when I booked it either.

So I'm curious: can we tie clotheslines for our towels to the trees? Do we need special stakes for the sand? Are there firepits? Is firewood sold? How much, if so?

We usually camp primitively: no water or electricity, so that's what I'm used to. I don't know how to handle the luxury of having water at my site!! How do you tent campers deal with gray water (from dishwashing etc.)?

How do you rig up tarps-are you allowed to toss ropes over the branches of trees?

Everyone seems to have golf carts-we like bikes, is that ok? Are there bike racks at the bus stops?

I'm sure I'll have more questions!! :) But thanks for any help.

Bump with some questions!

I've always wanted to camp at the Fort, but it's never been practical. Now I'm thinking of a few years from now and how we'll pull it off.

I'm thinking of when we camped at a state park in Connecticut last summer and we were not allowed to tie clothesline to the trees, or have an open fire. It was early June and we were cold! And all our towels stayed damp. :( None of this information was on the website when I booked it either.

So I'm curious: can we tie clotheslines for our towels to the trees? YES Do we need special stakes for the sand? I use the metal nails with the plastic tops Are there firepits? NO Is firewood sold? NO How much, if so?
You can only have a fire if you bring an enclosed fire pit with a lid. AND ONLY if fires are not banned completely at that time due to dry conditions

We usually camp primitively: no water or electricity, so that's what I'm used to. I don't know how to handle the luxury of having water at my site!! How do you tent campers deal with gray water (from dishwashing etc.)? There is a large sink in the laundry room of each loop where you can dump grey water

How do you rig up tarps-are you allowed to toss ropes over the branches of trees? Yep

Everyone seems to have golf carts-we like bikes, is that ok? Are there bike racks at the bus stops? Bikes are fine. Yes there are bike racks at both the Outpost bus stop and at the marina, plus lots of fence posts and trees around to lock up to.

I'm sure I'll have more questions!! :) But thanks for any help.

Hope this helps!!!

Thanks, clkelley! Good to know about the fires. Around here, all campgrounds come with a picnic table and a firepit, we just took it for granted that we'd have them in Connecticut. Luckily, we were there to visit new in-laws, my daughter and her fiance came down from Vermont to introduce us to his family. We bought a portable fire pit and then gave it to them when we were done. But it was a hard lesson!

Now that I think about it, Fort Wilderness WILL supply us with a table, right? :)

Bumping with another question:

Does anyone who uses 2 or more EZ up canopies use the rain gutters? I've seen this one:
http://www.gemplers.com/product/161856/Rain-Gutter-Canopy-Connection, and I've wondered if it does the job.

We've camped enough to take rain for granted. It's not a question of "will it rain?" but "WHEN will it rain?" We have one canopy, and I want to purchase a second and connect them. One for over our Eureka! dome tent and the second for over a table, complete with screens and privacy cloths. Not looking forward to the sheet of water that will pour between the two!

Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter