Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Another suitcase question.... we're a party of six who always just does carry on. We haven't checked bags in years.

Does SW allow 2 free checked bags per party.... or per person (which would be up to 12 checked bags for us)

Per person.

So I have a suitcase question. I have a suitcase that when I loosely measure it comes out right AT 62in. Manufacturer says it's 63in. Do we dare to take this, or should we plan on taking a different bag and not risk it at all. "free" bags turning into $150 bags is not in my plan.
If it concerns you, don't stress. Take a different bag.

Per person.

OK, thanks. With the possibility of limited food offerings, we may pack a checked bag or two full of dry stuff like cereals & snacks. Anyone else doing that?

OT: anyone know if TSA is stringent about putting a box wine in a checked bag? (I brought a bottle of wine once in a checked bag, but that was about a decade ago)

Per person.

OK, thanks. With the possibility of limited food offerings, we may pack a checked bag or two full of dry stuff like cereals & snacks. Anyone else doing that?

OT: anyone know if TSA is stringent about putting a box wine in a checked bag? (I brought a bottle of wine once in a checked bag, but that was about a decade ago)
I've done both of those multiple times - packed dry cereal and snacks and also wine in checked baggage. Flying with Southwest is fabulous!! Although things like Prime Now and Instacart make it very easy and inexpensive to order food locally so lately that's what we've been doing.

Ooo, we always have extra luggage room and hadn't thought about packing groceries. Thanks for the tip! That would be great but with the new quarantine measures put in place by NY today, not sure flying out of Buffalo will be an option for us for a while.

Another suitcase question.... we're a party of six who always just does carry on. We haven't checked bags in years.

Does SW allow 2 free checked bags per party.... or per person (which would be up to 12 checked bags for us)
Per person

Ugh I have a red banner again for my September flights. I hope they don’t change them again. If my return flight changes I will end up losing a whole park day since there isn’t another late evening flight out.

Can you change to the next day? Even if you have to spend the night near the airport and fly out really, really early?

Can you change to the next day? Even if you have to spend the night near the airport and fly out really, really early?

maybe - idk if I can add a night to the reservation or not. It would mean the teen missing another school day which would not be good. I think we just would have to move our last day park reservation (AK) to our free day and go to DS after we leave AK. I guess I will wait and see if SW does anything and then figure it out. That late night flight is still going for $99 which isn’t a good sign for it remaining.

Well...kinda took a flier(pun intended) and booked our December flights. $45.00 each way, non stop, round trip, Chicago, Orlando. Travel funds and a LUV voucher paid for the flights. The only cash I had to come up with was the $80.00 for EBCI. Keeping everything crossed that this trip happens. The deal breaker for us, as AP holders, is if park hopping doesn't come back by then. We'll cancel and hope that our already planned April trip happens with park hopping.

Quick question- I think I know the answer but wanted to ask the experts. We booked a trip in January and invited our neighbor boys to join us. We had planned on spending a week doing the Disney water parks in July. Clearly, that isn't happening, we switched to a week in Clearwater and have now decided we are going to postpone the trip. We paid for flights for 7 people (3 kids that aren't ours) if we cancel the credit would go in the name of the ticketed passenger correct? It wouldn't come as a total credit for future use. Meaning we would be out the 3 tickets for kids that aren't ours.
If southwest cancels or even changes my flight time i could get a full refund right?
We are scheduled to fly on July 10th. If I understand it correctly we are better off waiting until the last minute hoping that SW makes an adjustment or cancels than I am getting a credit correct?

I suggest waiting till about one day before your departure date. Technically, you could wait till ten minutes before departure, but I would not do that. Practically speaking, you are still okay, if you want to cancel up till about two hours, before departure; but, just in case there are any issues, I would not go later, than that. If Southwest completely cancels your flight, you should know well before then.

For Southwest-cancelled flights, call in to Southwest and request a refund. Sometimes, there is push back on a refund from the general reservations number, for complete refunds. If that happens, I suggest contacting Southwest either on Twitter or Facebook, for a refund request.

If your flights are not cancelled by Southwest, you can cancel online. Before doing so, make sure that each ticketed passenger has their own Rapid Rewards account, where the travel funds credits will be deposited into each individual's account. Southwest announced that they will be offering the opportunity to convert travel funds ($$$) into Rapid Rewards points. Unlike travel funds, which only can be used for the passenger named on the ticket, RR points can be used to book travel by anyone. If you explain the situation to the kids' families, perhaps something can be worked out, so that you can use those points for future travel for your family. There has not been a date announced, yet, for the funds to points conversion.

Were you reimbursed by the kids' families for the tickets? That would be a solution, with them having travel funds to use for another trip for the kids.

You could also run this past @SouthwestAir on Twitter, now, for some feedback. Sometimes, if the issue is nicely explained, with any assistance noted as being "greatly appreciated," there could be some accommodation, though don't look for that upfront.

This issue has come up before...you are not alone. It's always better to get a credit card number from non-family when booking travel for them. But, of course, who could have ever imagined this year's happenings?

So my oldest DD has some travel funds but not RR. If she becomes a RR member now, will she be able to convert them to RR when they start allowing this, or is it too late?

So my oldest DD has some travel funds but not RR. If she becomes a RR member now, will she be able to convert them to RR when they start allowing this, or is it too late?
It's not too late. Southwest will be notifying Rapid Rewards members by email, when the option to covert funds to points is available. It's always a good idea to enroll in Rapid Rewards. There is no cost to join, and it's an excellent way of keeping track of your travel and benefits. Also, with a RR account, you can easily view your travel funds at the top of the login page, so you won't lose track.

https://www.southwest.com/account/enroll/enroll-member?

Supposed to fly out of Bradley (CT) on 7/27 into MCO (hoping travel restriction is released by then). Wondering what the mask situation is at MCO. I believe they’re now required in Orange County but wondering if people are abiding by it at the airport. I’m not worried about Disney, I fee like they’ll be making sure people stick to keeping them on, so I’m mostly concerned about being in the airport and on the plane (Southwest) and people not complying.

Required on all SWA flights. Not sure about MCO. Wear it. Hope other people do
I’ll be wearing it for sure, if I even go. We’ll see what happens with the travel restriction. Can’t quarantine for 2 weeks when I get there so...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter