• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Hi Shoreward - just wanted to send you a thank you! I did as you suggested, nicely placing a request by email, and today I received a $100 LUV voucher for our EBCI. Really happy, since I know we'll use it when things are less unknown. Sad we had to cancel our trip, but nice to not lose the EBCI costs.
I'm so glad that you had a good outcome. I have found Southwest to be among the most accommodating of all of the airlines, though people can always find something to complain about.

Thanks for the thanks!

Finally had my red banner show up for my September flight. For those who have been waiting, check your flight! I never got an email from them.

[QUOTE="scrappinginontario, post: 61992375, member: 320821"
It's totally up to you but if your flights are after Sep 7, 2020 it might be advantageous to wait and cancel your flights later as I'm almost positive Southwest will eventually extend the Sep 7, 2020 cancellation extension date as many people are not comfortable travelling yet.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry but no, don’t wait if you are already planning to cancel. ANY travel funds created by a cancellation prior to September 7 are eligible for the expiration extension. Doesn’t matter when you booked it or what the flight date is ONLY that you cancel prior to September 7. No reason to wait.

So, I received an email stating my departing flight changed, and when I log in it is changed. It is giving me the option to rebook at no fee.

Here's the weird thing, I am also given the option to rebook my arriving flight, but it does not appear to have changed. Except, I no longer see that flight if I search for a reservation. Also strange is for about a 3 week period in Aug, there are no wanna get away fares available at all. This is pvd to mco, if 20-29. I'm assuming they will be switching the arriving flight, but just hasn't applied to my account yet.

Edit: just got the email and see that my arriving flight has indeed changed. Wonder if they removed the wanna get away fares temporarily while they move flights around to mitigate people buying tickets.

Last edited:

...Wonder if they removed the wanna get away fares temporarily while they move flights around to mitigate people buying tickets.

Yes, when they decide that a flight will be changing (or even if they reach a flight as potentially changing) they'll shut down the ability to purchase seats until they finish making the changes. This first began last spring with the 737 Max issues and they've been using that same technique to deal with the current situation as well.

Steve

Ugh. Just got an email from SW, our mid September early morning nonstop has been changed to a layover in Baltimore. There is only 1 nonstop showing now which doesn’t get in til 7:45 pm. Have to decide what flight take.

Still have a July 13 trip planned, wait8 g to hear from Disney on that one. Now SW is screwing with our September flights. I am so over this.

Moved our flight home back an hour. It was early enough now it’s earlier ☹

And now the really too early non-stop is a late evening non-stop!! Go a whole extra day!! Of course this presupposes we go which is still totally up in the air 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

They changed my flights also but I get an error everytime I try to change it to a different one.

They changed my flights also but I get an error everytime I try to change it to a different one.

Really? I didn’t do anything last night, it was too late & I wanted to think about options. So now I look at our date as if I was booking a new reservation & there is a new nonstop with a different flight number, 5 minutes after the one we were on. The one we were on showed last night as unavailable. Now the new one even has all fares available. I will try to change to the new one this morning. I bought the flights & early bird right as they were released, so had a great price & a good chance for an low boarding spot with the early bird. This is annoying.

Really? I didn’t do anything last night, it was too late & I wanted to think about options. So now I look at our date as if I was booking a new reservation & there is a new nonstop with a different flight number, 5 minutes after the one we were on. The one we were on showed last night as unavailable. Now the new one even has all fares available. I will try to change to the new one this morning. I bought the flights & early bird right as they were released, so had a great price & a good chance for an low boarding spot with the early bird. This is annoying.

Very annoying. Now I will have to take a super late flight. This trip is looking worse and worse. lol

They apparently just made mass changes to the August schedule. Someone I know received notification that their flight was moved up two hours, from a nonstop to connecting flights. The funny thing is that there’s a nonstop flight departing about 20 minutes later than the originating flight of the new connecting flights. The nonstop arrives in MCO about 2.75 hours earlier than the non-direct itinerary. If you have been notified of a change, be sure to check out all of the available flights, as soon as you get the notice. There will only be about three days after the change notice is sent, during which you can change your flight, keeping the original fare. If you did not receive a change notice for August travel, look at your confirmation, anyway, to make sure Southwest did not make any changes; sometimes, notice is not sent.

Last edited:
Got the change notice on the out bound flight this morning. Still non stop, just 45 minutes later which is fine - 7:30am instead of 6:45.

They apparently just made mass changes to the August schedule. Someone I know received notification that their flight was moved up two hours, from a nonstop to connecting flights. The funny thing is that there’s a nonstop flight departing about 20 minutes later than the originating flight of the new connecting flights. The nonstop arrives in MCO about 2.75 hours earlier than the non-direct itinerary. If you have been notified of a change, be sure to check out all of the available flights, as soon as you get the notice. There will only be about three days after the change notice is sent, during which you can change your flight, keeping the original fare. If you did not receive a change notice for August travel, look at your confirmation, anyway, to make sure Southwest did not make any changes, as sometimes, notice is not sent.

That is essentially what happened to me for September. Except the new nonstop is only 5 minutes after the original. So annoying that I have to deal with this too.

So I had to call to change my flight since the website kept giving me an error. They got rid of my original flight and gave me a flight with a stop in Chicago. I have to have a direct flight. We also had to refund and rebuy earlybird for whatever reason. But now I am set with a super late flight coming home. That's going to be a long day. They also changed my flight going to Orlando, but that was just moving it up an hour, so no big deal.

They changed my flight to Florida from a 5am to a 6am. And return from 5pm(ish) to 8pm(ish). Ok with both changes but given the spike in Florida and the possibility that my state may require a quarantine after returning (latest rumor) I may cancel the whole thing or at least move it.

Does anyone know how far out SW usually cancels flights? If you are within a week of the travel date, is it safe to think that the flight will not be cancelled?

Glad you all mentioned flight changes - I didn’t get an email but my Labor Day long weekend flights both changed. Luckily they are still non-stop and an hour different each flight - of course cutting an hour out of our trip each way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter