Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Just saved $55/each for my DD and I for our August trip. Have now banked $200 each in travel funds for our August flights!! Flight prices opened high and I booked but then was disappointed in myself that I due to the high price but in the end it's all good as I will eventually use these travel funds claimed as prices have dropped.

The fact that points no longer expire is a game changer for us!!

No, you can't use credits and points. If you use credits it's a paid ticket and you'd have to use a credit card for the remainder. Award flights must be paid entirely with points. What I've done before is book two one ways, one way with points and the other way with cash.
Slight correction: if you have enough points to cover the flight, you can use credits to cover the taxes and fees portion of the cost. That is the limited use case where you can combine points and credits for that whopping $5.60 per segment. 🤣

Hopefully this all gets much easier when they start allowing a combination payment.

This might not be the best place for this, but since it's Southwest...they made the news again with the emergency landing in Tampa (heading to Orlando) after severe turbulence injured two. They said the flight attendant broke bones including her hip and hit her head...on the ceiling! That's some serious turbulence.

Is it me, or does SW seem to make the news more than other airlines? Maybe I just pay more attention since that's the airline I use?

We have never flown SWA with a layover, always booked direct. I assume I will have to do a second check-in to obtain a boarding group at the second airport, correct?

This might not be the best place for this, but since it's Southwest...they made the news again with the emergency landing in Tampa (heading to Orlando) after severe turbulence injured two. They said the flight attendant broke bones including her hip and hit her head...on the ceiling! That's some serious turbulence.

Is it me, or does SW seem to make the news more than other airlines? Maybe I just pay more attention since that's the airline I use?
I feel like United is bearing the brunt of bad publicity far more lately. Regardless, I remind myself how many flights there are each day and things like this are relatively uncommon. Also remember that if you click on articles of that nature, you'll get more articles of that nature due to algorithms. :-)

I think it's because you pay more attention. There's actually been several instances of planes hitting/nicking/running into each other recently, and IIRC none (or at least very few) of them were Southwest.

And this is why they tell you to keep your seatbelt buckled when you're seated. Pilots try to avoid turbulence, but sometimes it comes out of nowhere. Flight attendants are always up and about so they unfortunately usually aren't buckled in. I hope that FA is able to make a speedy recovery (as well as the other injured people).

Last edited:
Checked flight prices for the October trip we had booked and flights dropped $50 a person going down to MCO and $85 or so per person coming home. Those flights dropped at a very high price opening day so I was happy to get the money back (anytime fares).
Yes. Both my May flights and December flights have dropped🙂

Yes. Both my May flights and December flights have dropped🙂

sadly my December and May didn't but I got May dirt cheap to begin with lol. December is more expensive and kind of close to Christmas break (at least the return flight) so I am not holding my breath but will continue to check.

When did december flights drop? I had it on my calendar for 4/25?

Also, do we have any idea when we will be able to combine points and cash? I didn't realize they'd already dropped the flights for Thanksgiving and they are ridiculously expensive. There are 8 of us, and I'd like us to all be on 1 reservation so everyone gets to take advantage of my A list.

Last edited:
When did december flights drop? I had it on my calendar for 4/25?

Also, do we have any idea when we will be able to combine points and cash? I didn't realize they'd already dropped the flights for Thanksgiving and they are ridiculously expensive. There are 8 of us, and I'd like us to all be on 1 reservation so everyone gets to take advantage of my A list.
December flights were released March 21st (I believe previously scheduled for March 28th). The release was for dates through January 6th 2025.

April 25th is for flights through March 25th, 2025 presently speaking.

The website (https://www.southwest.com/rapid-rewards/program-updates/) just says "Coming Spring 2024." If that's still correct, then soon, I'd guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter